• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Make way for 1480!

KITZ has been a nothing-burger for years now. I mean, their former KGTK-920 (Olympia) translator on 101.1 was putting out 60hz hums and interference on the air for months before anyone noticed. They were the Gun Talk affiliate for many years and recently had Brian Kilmeade's show, but the rest of the lineup was barter garbage. The signal barely made it to S Snohomish County, roughly the same strength as KBRC-1430 Mt. Vernon from the same location. KBRO-1490 was slightly better.

1560 doesn't even make it to the northern side of SKC (on my Sangean PR-D5). Doesn't even make a sound with the BFO switched up on my DX-440. It used to come in well during the daytime with the Punjabi programming, and, of course, the other programming that was on the station before it.

I remember when it was gospel music (Z-Twins-owned). I don't know how they keep KYIZ-1620 in operation with no FM translator. If any AM needed an FM translator it was them! The Urban AC format sounds way better on an FM, of course ;-)

I remember when it was gospel music (Z-Twins-owned). I don't know how they keep KYIZ-1620 in operation with no FM translator. If any AM needed an FM translator it was them! The Urban AC format sounds way better on an FM, of course ;-)
1620 probably covers most of SKC and parts of South Seattle fairly well, at least Tukwila, Skyway, Rainier Valley, etc. Where else in radio are listeners going to hear old school R&B? They seem to cater to the GenX and older crowd who may still listen to AM for music they want on the radio.

They also seem to have a fairly popular call in show during the morning (including Al Sharpton's show) which caters to the African American community. They're still on the air, so they at least survived the pandemic economy. I suppose the next few years will show how viable the 1420 and 1620 stations are in the long run. I don't know how popular KBMS is in Portland. At night they play the same music. They have the same owners, apparently.

Agreed -- KYIZ could have used a translator.

KBMS now has a 250 watt translator, directional away, on the other side of town that is barely reached by the main signal.

KBMS is one of the two portland stations i can hear up here at night.. that and KEX 1190

From what I understand KBMS has a small but loyal audience.
If that's the case, a lot depends on whether listeners are actively willing to frequent advertisers on the station, or actually give money to support the station. In most cases that 'loyalty' ebbs and flows...downhill.

These stations used to be part of the Triangle Radio Network, an early and short-lived attempt at programming aimed at the LGBT community in the late '90s.

One piece of confusion comes from that fact that Centro Familiar Cristiano and the Vispera license holders are really the same, single entity. They act as one: programming, expansion, funding, etc. Just look at the address for both entities.

Of interest to the Channel 20 discussion. I suspect both KRUM-LD and K20NF-D are for sale. I see a RadioTVDeals lists two stations in Washjington State, both brokered by MCH. That broker has handled Vispera sales/purchases in the past, for example the recent KGIO disposal and the acquisition of Vispera's Seattle area FM translators.

Haven't had the time to look, but they may be operating under an STA (Special Temporary Authority).
I just went on the FCC website. KZIZ does have an STA to temporarily broadcast on KMIA old night site at 2KW day and 225 watts night non-directional but will be on the KMIA site on 167 when they complete construction

KYIZ's Urban AC music comes from The Touch, the Westwood One satellite feed. Their sweepers always say "today's best mix of R&B".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom