• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LV an unrated market?

B

blueboy

With stations unwilling to buy trends and not wanting to purchase "the book", could this ever become an unrated market?

> With stations unwilling to buy trends and not wanting to
> purchase "the book", could this ever become an unrated
> market?
>
No, because ad agencies buy the book.

This is also supposedly happening in another satellite market of Philadelphia: Wilmington. Word has it a group owner that controls an AM-FM-FM in that under-radioed market decided not to buy the book earlier this year. That leaves only one large group and one independent to buy the book in that market.

> > With stations unwilling to buy trends and not wanting to
> > purchase "the book", could this ever become an unrated
> > market?
> >
> No, because ad agencies buy the book.
>
> This is also supposedly happening in another satellite
> market of Philadelphia: Wilmington. Word has it a group
> owner that controls an AM-FM-FM in that under-radioed market
> decided not to buy the book earlier this year. That leaves
> only one large group and one independent to buy the book in
> that market.
>

That is what happened to the Westchester Market.....The Westchester stations stopped buying the book and now the Westchester stations gets their data through the NYC book.<P ID="signature">______________
GSP163

Formally "V"

NOT NEW YORK....
NOT PHILADELPHIA....
PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY....</P>

> > > With stations unwilling to buy trends and not wanting to
>
> > > purchase "the book", could this ever become an unrated
> > > market?
> > >
> > No, because ad agencies buy the book.
> >
> > This is also supposedly happening in another satellite
> > market of Philadelphia: Wilmington. Word has it a group
> > owner that controls an AM-FM-FM in that under-radioed
> market
> > decided not to buy the book earlier this year. That leaves
>
> > only one large group and one independent to buy the book
> in
> > that market.
> >
>
>
> That is what happened to the Westchester Market.....The
> Westchester stations stopped buying the book and now the
> Westchester stations gets their data through the NYC book.
>

I need something answered, and this seems like a relevant thread to seek out an answer. I work for a station that does not buy the book. And the owner says that it's because we would not show. I had an agency get pissed because I told them that when I was asked for ratings. The agency rep told me that my reason was a lie, and that all stations will show up in the book as long as they have listeners. Arbitron measures every single station in all markets. Is this true?

Also, aren't the Portable-people-meters supposed to replace diaries eventualy?

If a listener reports s/he has on a station, it will get reported to Arbitron. There are certain minimal levels before a station shows up in the book, however. There are also break-outs by county which could help suburban stations overshadowed by large market stations show up in an individual county.

Someone once told me that once you subscribe to Arbitron, any station can make itself look good, somehow, because there are so many ways to divide up the audience.

For example: in one county, weekdays from 10am-3pm, with men 45-54, a station might be top five. Overall in the book, it could be below number 20.

But, the more specific the information from Arbitron (i.e. you pay for their packages that provide this sort of information) the more expensive it is.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom