• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LPFMer's, point me in the right direction!

Hey all,

Often a lurker around these parts and interested in LPFM and the processes involved in terms of filing application to the hopeful eventuality of a LPFM station up and runnin. Ive checked a few sites but many just seem to scratch the surface of this issues. I guess im looking for almost a step by step process of how to file and how this proces works so if you could help me out, answer some questions below and you will be my hero!

1) I hear rumors of another window opening, im here in NY near buffalo and am looking to serve a small town w/ a hyper local 10 watt station if everything were to work out. Trying to provide local news, views, etc.. Now i know i have to be some non-profit organization, how would you make one up? especially if its just a bunch of local radio enthusiasits looking to serve the communitty? Is there somethuing i would need to file w/ the IRS to become an officail "non-profit" in order to file w/ the fcc?

2) Where can i get this application from the fcc? I havent been able to find the link to it form the fcc's god-awful website..

3) filing fees, any idea here? Cant find any links to those either?

4) I have on my possession decent and dedicated equipment from pro mics, mixers, automation computer, etc.. to start as well as those i am planning this venture with do as well. I know i would need a transmitter of good quality/antenna (the chinese plastic ones aint gonna cut it) for this. Could you recommned a broadcast worthy xmitter that would pass fcc specs?

I know this is a long, drawn out process and if there is no window that opens up this year, i might be waiting awhile for it. But it is something i would be interested in doing so as there is some kind of local voice on the air that isnt any empolyee by one of the big bohemths we have in the region. The possibility of failure is high but I along with others im working with see the rewards (if everything works out) as worth it. Any insight into the process or even links to good websites on the issue would be awesome! Thanks! :)

Good luck with your venture.

To my understanding, you need to be a non profit organization registered with the state you live in. But, to be sure, you would be better off creating a 501(c)(3) non profit registered with the IRS. Costs around $400...

The window may be open this year (highly doubtful), but when is anyone's guess. Start your organization now, becuase non profits that have been around for at least 2 years have a better chance, as they get more 'points' with the Commision in the event of an 'MX'ed application. In this day and age, plan on being 'MX'ed. MX applications are competing applications for the same frequency.

The application for a LPFM construction permit is available on the FCC website. Keep looking. If you can't find it, plan on hiring a consulting engineer...you're gonna need one.

The studio gear is the easiest part of this whole thing. However, a decent FM audio processor is a must, to comply with the rules fully.

Be sure to get a Type Verified transmitter and antenna from any major manufacturer. Many stations have luck with Crown, but your mileage may vary. Many manufacturers offer package deals, as well.

Just my 2 cents....anyone else, please feel free to add to the pot!

Welcome to the board, stratace05!

I have a background in terrestrial radio dating back to 1979. I was a green kid but had
what some have termed "gumption." Patience and fierce determination are two things you'll
need, for sure. It took me six attempts before I was hired.

To tackle some of your questions: You can be a nonprofit without the additional red tape of
being a 501(c)3. My corporation, Delta Star Radio of Florida, Inc., is a registered Florida nonprofit.
It was formed in April 2001, as my intent was to file for an LPFM a number of years ago. When
the window did open in Florida I was in the middle of salvaging an AM station that was failing
(it belonged to someone else.) I'd probably have been better off leaving that job to create an LPFM, in hindsight!

I don't remember exactly what it cost me to establish Delta Star Radio, but I believe it was under $100. It costs $61.25 annually for renewal. Florida corporations can be viewed online at http://www.sunbiz.org. Delta Star Radio is listed as an "active" corporation, meaning it's been renewed for 2011. It is also qualified to file as a nonprofit for an LPFM.

The application form is available through the FCC website. I have seen it before but can't remember all the details off the top of my head. They are doing some redesigning. Hopefully they will make things a little easier to locate.

There is not a filing fee for LPFMs. You may have to hire a consulting engineer to locate a frequency and do the engineering portion of the application.

A lot of LPFMs use Crown, BEST, or NiCom transmitters. Coming from AM radio, I don't know enough about these to advise you.

One site to check out would be http://www.ccbroadcasters.com. It has some equipment information and advisories regarding FCC window openings.

Best wishes to you!

Alan

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom