• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LPFM and AM translators

I hope this the correct place to ask this question.

A friend of mine is looking at Class C AM that is about to come up for sale near a couple of top 100 markets. They do not have a FM translator. There is a translator available but only with a 98 foot height at 175 watts (according to the owner who tried to sell the translator to the AM station two years ago). There is a LPFM about 4 miles away on a channel that has no 60 DB signal for 49 miles in any direction.

Will the FCC allow a “swap” of channels assuming both parties agree? If the LPFM doesn’t agree, can a Class D translator “force” a LPFM to “move” to another channel if the LPFM will be “compensated”?

I know of a couple of commercial FM stations have change channels in the past against their will but they were compensated.

A translator cannot displace a LPFM. Both are equal in the eyes of the FCC.

Deals have been worked out for LPFMs but generally without FCC involvement. For example, to move a LPFM to a new channel, you negotiate with the LPFM to determine the interest and your contribution to the non-profit that holds the license. The FCC simply acts on a channel change request/swap. The LPFM will be most concerned about potential interference on a different channel. Depending on the state of the local LPFM, it might be a win-win.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom