• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LPFM: A Broad Discussion of Stations and Purpose

The LPFM I volunteer for has over 200 recordings pertaining to county history; my radio partner and I do two shows per week, with each show featuring current events, along with facts that focus on our chosen theme for Tuesdays, as well as our all-request Thursday show. Also, we have local movers and shakers visit for interviews. When I managed a high school station, the same philosophy was used. I am not trying to change anyone’s mind; I just wanted to add context. Your mileage may vary.

The LPFM I volunteer for has over 200 recordings pertaining to county history; my radio partner and I do two shows per week, with each show featuring current events, along with facts that focus on our chosen theme for Tuesdays, as well as our all-request Thursday show. Also, we have local movers and shakers visit for interviews. When I managed a high school station, the same philosophy was used. I am not trying to change anyone’s mind; I just wanted to add context. Your mileage may vary.
Interesting. So, what happens around the two shows per week? Have you actually developed a curriculum to justify that the programming on the station is educational during all hours of the broadcast day? My guess is no.
That said; I'll give you credit Greg, you stepped up and tried to justify what was probably a fraudulent application for the CP/license.
BTW; what are the calls of this station? I'd like to have a look at their application and exhibits.

Interesting. So, what happens around the two shows per week? Have you actually developed a curriculum to justify that the programming on the station is educational during all hours of the broadcast day? My guess is no.
That is not a requirement. Never has been, not even in the 1970s.

Think about it this way: Are the Pacifica stations, which have operated under the FCC's NCE purview for 60+ years, "educational"?

That said; I'll give you credit Greg, you stepped up and tried to justify what was probably a fraudulent application for the CP/license.
BTW; what are the calls of this station? I'd like to have a look at their application and exhibits.
This station is not located at a school or other educational endeavor. It satisfies all the requirements to be an LPFM station. There was and is no ‘fraudulent intent.’ I only offered comments to show that this station serves its local community to the best of its ability. Again, I am not trying to change anyone’s mind. If one is a part of the anti-LPFM tribe, so be it.

LPFM stations are bound by § 73.503 ("Licensing requirements and service").

The FCC is clear that LPFM is to be licensed to nonprofit educational organizations and they must provide a showing that the station will be used for the advancement of an educational program.

LPFM stations have committed to having an educational component to their programming. If they do not follow through, then there is a question of ethics since they are breaking a rule that is difficult to enforce. Just because you can get away with something does not mean it's right.

Some clarifications:

From 73.503: "In determining the eligibility of privately controlled educational organizations, the accreditation of state departments of education and/or recognized regional and national educational accrediting organizations shall be taken into consideration."

Paragraph (b) states: "Each station [...] may transmit educational, cultural, and entertainment programs to the public."

These radio sandbox dwellers that are using it for 'playing radio', should be exposed, and their licenses stripped.

LOL. I just looked up the nonprofit organization that the LPFM I mentioned earlier in this thread is licensed to. The Secretary of State says "Entity Status: Revoked".

And the staff on the website doesn't match or parallel the former non-profit's directors.

The person who signed the original construction permit application as "president" is not and has never been an officer with this non profit.

So I know of at least one fraudulent operation. It's also the first one I looked up.

Edit to add: This station fraudulently obtained this LPFM, and it won against another mutually exclusive application. They argued that the other organization relied on an outdated board member list. Outdated board member list > Fraud.

Last edited:
That is not a requirement. Never has been, not even in the 1970s.

Think about it this way: Are the Pacifica stations, which have operated under the FCC's NCE purview for 60+ years, "educational"?
I guess the question really is; just because groups circumvent the rules by filing fraudulent applications, that makes it okay?

I guess the question really is; just because groups circumvent the rules by filing fraudulent applications, that makes it okay?
The applications are not fraudulent. The rules you think they are violating (24/7 educational service) only exist in your head.

This station is not located at a school or other educational endeavor. It satisfies all the requirements to be an LPFM station.
But, as indicated in the rules, is considered by definition an NCE?
There was and is no ‘fraudulent intent.’
I'd still be interested in reviewing the original application, just for entertainment value of course.
I only offered comments to show that this station serves its local community to the best of its ability.
But, that service to the community is seen through the glasses of a participant, not by definition of the rules?
Again, I am not trying to change anyone’s mind. If one is a part of the anti-LPFM tribe, so be it.
So, potentially filing false information to attain a CP/license is okay?

The applications are not fraudulent. The rules you think they are violating (24/7 educational service) only exist in your head.
Oh really? So these rules that Red Plume linked are just in my head? Looks clearly written to me:

"A noncommercial educational FM broadcast station will be licensed only to a nonprofit educational organization and upon showing that the station will be used for the advancement of an educational program."

(1) In determining the eligibility of publicly supported educational organizations, the accreditation of their respective state departments of education shall be taken into consideration.
(2) In determining the eligibility of privately controlled educational organizations, the accreditation of state departments of education and/or recognized regional and national educational accrediting organizations shall be taken into consideration.

But, as indicated in the rules, is considered by definition an NCE?

I'd still be interested in reviewing the original application, just for entertainment value of course.

But, that service to the community is seen through the glasses of a participant, not by definition of the rules?

So, potentially filing false information to attain a CP/license is okay?
I do not wish to even attempt to understand your vitriol. In the year-plus that I have volunteered at the station, its primary purpose is to shine the spotlight on the history of the city of license and surrounding area. Oh, and before anyone believes that an LPFM somehow takes food off the plate of any commercial broadcaster, this station has taken in exactly ZERO dollars. I know that wasn’t previously mentioned. I am only attempting as much transparency as my experience with this station allows.

Please kindly plead your case to Michelle Bradley. I have made my position clear on this. I will not proffer another response. Thanks for playing, and have a great weekend.

I do not wish to even attempt to understand your vitriol.
Maybe because you know our point is valid?
In the year-plus that I have volunteered at the station, its primary purpose is to shine the spotlight on the history of the city of license and surrounding area.
But again, does the licensee qualify by definition as a NCE? Oh come on Greg, hand over the call letters. Let's see together.
Oh, and before anyone believes that an LPFM somehow takes food off the plate of any commercial broadcaster, this station has taken in exactly ZERO dollars.
But, they occupy space around actual radio stations.
I know that wasn’t previously mentioned. I am only attempting as much transparency as my experience with this station allows.
Great, give us the calls!
Please kindly plead your case to Michelle Bradley. I have made my position clear on this. I will not proffer another response. Thanks for playing, and have a great weekend.
Michelle already clarified the requirements for licensees of LPFM's earlier in the thread. It was pretty clear, actually.

LOL. I just looked up the nonprofit organization that the LPFM I mentioned earlier in this thread is licensed to. The Secretary of State says "Entity Status: Revoked".
Oh, you've got to be kidding. Just for curiosity sake, I decided to look up the "other" LPFM station I heard in the same town. They are also marked as "Revoked" as of a few years ago.

I've looked up two LPFM stations. Both are fraudulent. There's got to be a legit one out there somewhere.

I just looked up the third and final LPFM in this particular town, currently silent. The nonprofit was formed by the same people as the first LPFM, then changed officers. So it likely was a front for the first LPFM to get around the one-to-a-customer rule.

Oh really? So these rules that Red Plume linked are just in my head? Looks clearly written to me:
Yes. None of the things you've written in this thread are actually present in the rule, as written.

All that rule says is that an NCE licensee must have an educational mission and that any demerits against that organization by any governing bodies or accreditation bodies may be taken into consideration by the Commission. That paragraph is a callback to when NCE radio was essentially run by colleges, and as far as I can tell it hasn't been updated in several decades.

Notably, the rule does not say that an organization that is neither regulated by a department of education, nor subject to accreditation is ineligible to be an NCE licensee. Such a rule would eliminate a great many of the NCE broadcasters of today, ranging from the City of New York (WNYE), through several states (i.e. Georgia Public Broadcasting) to EMF.

The rule also does not say how much of the broadcast station's time must be dedicated to an "educational program." Nor does it state what sort of programs might count. Nor am I aware of any instances where the Commission has rejected an application for not being educational enough.

For example, here is the educational showing of an LPFM whose license was granted, in its entirety:
INCORPORATED IN INDIANA, APPLICANT IS A NOT FOR PROFIT CORPORATION LOCALLY BASED IN [Redacted] INDIANA. [Redacted], INC. INTENDS TO BRING TO THE AREA DIVERSE, EDUCATIONAL AND CULTURAL PROGRAMMING NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE HERE.
If they couldn't deny that, then they couldn't deny an application written by a bright 4th grader. This particular LPFM ran 1960s oldies music, with occasional public service announcements as of 2015. I have since moved, and am not familiar with their current operation.

Community radio stations did not embrace automation systems early on. Commercial radio in America was automated and canned decades before them.

The haters won't kill community radio but they are killing this website as their bitterness drives people away from here.

The FCC can be sort of a strange bird on some things. When it comes to applications for NCE and LPFM stations, statements are typically not questioned. Programming is not regulated (except obscenity). Many stations appeared to have a religious educational bent but once licensed are not religious stations. It's as simple as changing your game plan. For the most part, the FCC will accept your definition of educational programming or purpose. They simply license those with an educational purpose and spend little time evaluating where on the scale of educational the description falls. One could argue the music formats of K-Love and Air1 are not educational but you can bet, they have a statement that satisfies the FCC. It's sort of like Public Affairs programming. It's less about content than it is about airing something the station defines as Public Affairs.

The meaning of "cultural" is also subject to interpretation. Art, literature, music, drama, sports, cuisine, social norms ... all are part of any country's culture. A discussion program hosted by a university professor who talks about art of the 19th century American West would certainly be considered "cultural" if aired on an LPFM, but how about the same professor analyzing this past February's Super Bowl commercials? How about an LPFM carrying an hour of classical music vs. an LPFM carrying an hour of vintage country music -- or even Tejano or rap or Bollywood music? Does there have to be a host offering "educational" commentary on any music played, or does the music itself pass the "cultural" test? Even discussion shows can have their "cultural" credentials questioned: Is a discussion of Leonard Bernstein just as "cultural" as a discussion of N.W.A.?

This website is openly hostile to LPFM and community radio as well. We have people here who think they are self appointed FCC and don't realize community radio has been around for fifty years. They think it's illegal.. Don't promote your station here or you will be cyber stalked.

Back
Top Bottom