• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Los Angeles studio locations for Casey Kasem's AT40 taping/transcriptions.

What are the past studio locations for the 1970 to 1988 AT40 taping(s) and the other variations of the show which featured Casey Kasem? I believe the first was on N. La Cienega Boulevard?

What are the past studio locations for the 1970 to 1988 AT40 taping(s) and the other variations of the show which featured Casey Kasem? I believe the first was on N. La Cienega Boulevard?
Yep. 931 North LaCienega. Watermark's offices and a studio. Across the street and half a block down from Elektra Records' then-headquarters. Most recently an art gallery and as of the last Google Maps drive-by, for sale:

By 1975, they'd moved to the Studio City address Frequency1 mentions above, though the stationary gave the address as 10700, not 10900, Ventura Blvd.

In the later years, WW1 in Culver City patched the studio Kasem was using to voice track through to Arlington VA via a satellite channel. Voice tracks were recorded in Arlington and the show was assembled there. Completed show was then sent on tape to the pressing plant which, I seem to remember, was in Nashville. The discs were mastered, pressed and sent to stations.

Show was voice tracked on Wednesday and sent to pressing plant via air that evening. Master was made over night. Pressing was done on Thursday and discs sent out that evening for Friday delivery to stations.

At one point, WW1 was hoping to avoid shipping discs and told stations AT40 would be pre-fed via satellite. Too many stations missed the feed and this idea shelved.

In the later years, WW1 in Culver City patched the studio Kasem was using to voice track through to Arlington VA via a satellite channel.

Not true. The show was tracked and assembled at 9540 Washington Blvd in Culver City. The building is now a restaurant.

The most important, burning, just gotta know question is....where is the studio that the infamous Snuggles rant was recorded?

The Snuggles rant was recorded when the show was done at Watermark, and was released by someone at ABC after Casey left for WW1.

Not true. The show was tracked and assembled at 9540 Washington Blvd in Culver City. The building is now a restaurant.

The Snuggles rant was recorded when the show was done at Watermark, and was released by someone at ABC after Kasey left for WW1.
It is true because I was the Ops Manager in Arlington who set up the backhaul every week.

It is true because I was the Ops Manager in Arlington who set up the backhaul every week.

Ron Harris assembled the show in Culver City. If you worked there, you know Ron. The only thing they may have backhauled was the produced show for the satellite delivery, which emanated from Arlington.

Ron Harris assembled the show in Culver City. If you worked there, you know Ron. The only thing they may have backhauled was the produced show for the satellite delivery, which emanated from Arlington.
Not going to go back and forth on this, but George Achaves put the show together in Studio D in Arlington. I believe Ron did it in Culver City before that and may have done it from time-to-time when George or Kevin Delaney were not available. If you listen to the later shows, you will hear George or Kevin credited.

They also put together American Country Countdown in Arlington.

They also put together American Country Countdown in Arlington.

You're confusing several shows. American Country Countdown was not a Westwood One show. It stayed with ABC. Westwood One did Country Countdown USA which was done for a time in Arlington. Ron Harris did CT40 in Culver City, and they were very careful with those voice tracks because of the Snuggles tape. They did two versions of the show: CHR and AC. I think they were done on different days.

Here's a link to an hour with the credits at about 56:00. He says it's produced in Hollywood, which is also not correct.

Last edited:
It is possible I am confusing the two shows. After all, it has been nearly 30 years. I do remember setting up the fed from Culver City for Kasem. However, it may have been occasionally. I also remember the run to National Airport or Dulles to get the tapes to the presser on the last flight of the night.

AT40 voice tracks were written in Culver City and that's where Kasem was located when he voice tracked. It sounds a lot better to say the show was "produced in Hollywood" than to say it was produced in Arlington.

Something I loved about LA is the music, recording, film, TV or radio history of a nondescript building.
Outside of the industry, most people have no idea.

On the surface streets in the downtown to Santa Monica corridor, I never got tired of being stuck in traffic, because the place and history was so interesting.

From the entertainment capital of the world...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom