• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Looks like it's 24/7 Xmas at WMTX (Mix 100.7)

Trying to beat Cox to the punch, I guess, though 24/7 Holiday cheer isn't always a given at The Dove or Magic....

Will most likely be the first year in a while 98.7 doesn't flip.

Wow, I wonder what made them decide to do this? Is this a stunt by iHeart or are they just trying something new this year?

Wondering if they are going for a flip? I don't recall mix 100.7 ever going all Christmas recently until now.

I guess iHeart saw an opening here. WDUV has been the Christmas music station in Tampa in the last few years. But several years earlier, it was WWRM, both owned by Cox. I guess iHeart thinks Cox does not have the Christmas heritage position sewed up.

WDUV, on this Friday evening before Thanksgiving, is still playing its regular format. Because Xmas is so late this year, many stations switched a week or more ago to the Andy Williams and Nat King Cole classics. I'm not sure what Cox is waiting for, especially since WMTX has already flipped. In markets with two stations doing Xmas music, when one flips, the other usually follows suit within hours.

It is unusual that in Tampa, it's the Hot AC station that made the move first.

Mix shifted it's format earlier this year from a current based Hot AC to a gold 80's, 90's, and today type AC.... so flipping to all Christmas isn't that far of a stretch than it would have been in previous years. I guarantee you WDUV was probably waiting till next week.... however, they abruptly changed to all Christmas at Midnight on Friday night. Both stations had been trending down the last few months so it'll be interesting to see if Mix can make a dent into DUV's numbers this December. B-98 did somewhat the last couple years but 100.7's full power and full market signal should be stronger competition.

Mix shifted it's format earlier this year from a current based Hot AC to a gold 80's, 90's, and today type AC.... so flipping to all Christmas isn't that far of a stretch than it would have been in previous years. I guarantee you WDUV was probably waiting till next week.... however, they abruptly changed to all Christmas at Midnight on Friday night. Both stations had been trending down the last few months so it'll be interesting to see if Mix can make a dent into DUV's numbers this December. B-98 did somewhat the last couple years but 100.7's full power and full market signal should be stronger competition.

"Santa 98.7" was pretty much a given for a few years (as they transitioned out of failed formats..and then as an AC).

Yes, it looks like WDUV made the switch to Xmas music only a few hours after I wrote my post, asking why the station hasn't flipped yet.

I was unaware that Mix has moved from Hot AC to an 80s/90s/Today format. This is getting confusing! It seems WWRM is moving the other way. I checked its playlist and it only airs a pre-2000 song once or twice per hour. It's getting hotter while WMTX is getting less hot.

Have they passed each other? Is WMTX more AC than WWRM is these days?

And is Cox tinkering too much with The Dove? In an effort to stay within the 25-54 demo, is it playing too much uptempo music that is hurting the station overall? Or is Cox not concerned with the overall ratings, as long as WDUV's 25-54 rank is good? I can't remember a ratings book where The Dove wasn't #1, except a holiday book a few years ago when WWRM was all-Christmas but WDUV was not. Then it fell to #2. But that's got to be at least 5 years or more in the past.

98.7 The Shark is a full time rock station. While not a leader in the format, it's doing decent enough to stick around. Magic 94.9 is more current based and leans much more into a CHR type station without infringing on sister Hot 101.5 while The Dove is now a traditional AC but also now very 80's and 90's based. Yes, you will hear guitars and heavier music now on WDUV. Pop and top 40 hits from the 80's are not out of the ordinary including uptempo Madonna and Huey Lewis.

Cox has females targeted across all demos between Hot, Magic, and Dove while targeting males with Eagle and Bone. 97X skews young and probably is sold more with Hot as a pop alternative.

Last Wednesday, "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts played on WDUV. To think that song is in their sample now, that should show you the direction they are headed in. ;)

Last Wednesday, "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts played on WDUV. To think that song is in their sample now, that should show you the direction they are headed in. ;)

At times WDUV could easily be confused with Q105 (or even the old "classic hits" Eagle, before the harder "classic rock" lean of late). Probably a mandate from the new owners to shift to/shore up younger demos.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/183242/mix-100-7-tampa-completes-move-to-ac/

Now 100.7 FM is an AC Station

Another format shift quietly took place following the holidays as iHeartMedia completed its shift of Hot AC “Mix 100.7” WMTX Tampa to AC with a much more noticeably gold-based playlist.

WMTX made a first-ever season shift to Christmas music in mid-November. Prior to the switch to Christmas music, WMTX’s top songs were averaging over 60 plays per week. Those are now down to the low 30’s.

There are no changes to the on-air lineup of Laura Diaz and Nate ‘Brody’ Halegua in mornings, Randi West in middays, On-Air with Ryan Seacrest in afternoons and Kevin Campbell accompanied the musical shifts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom