• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Looking for Soft Rock Stations

Lynyrd Skynyrd is classified as Southern Rock. That's something my parents weren't into during the 60s and 70s so I didn't have any exposure to that. My parents were more into pop rock.

From that time period, you're more likely to find Elton John, Paul McCartney, Rod Stewart, Carole King in their album collection than the heavier rock sounds of the time.

Lynyrd Skynyrd is classified as Southern Rock. That's something my parents weren't into during the 60s and 70s so I didn't have any exposure to that. My parents were more into pop rock.
Or, if you listen to WBRF Galax, VA, Outlaw Country. 5 to 6 weekdays. Mostly Waylon, Hank Jr. and a lot of people I've never heard of and some I have.

I've only heard of one other country station playing them, WJXY in Myrtle Beach, SC. They actually did that type format twice, once in the 90s and once in the current decade.

Or, if you listen to WBRF Galax, VA, Outlaw Country. 5 to 6 weekdays. Mostly Waylon, Hank Jr. and a lot of people I've never heard of and some I have.

I've only heard of one other country station playing them, WJXY in Myrtle Beach, SC. They actually did that type format twice, once in the 90s and once in the current decade.

That's another thing my parents never got into was Outlaw Country. They were more Mainstream Country folks.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm glad to see soft rock, not sure what else to call it, is still in existance. Unfortunately all I have locally is WJXA, which is going more pop, although they do still play some 80s and 90s songs. The stations i grew up with were WEZK in Knoxville, TN, probably right after they switched from easy listening to soft rock and a few years before they switched to the travesty that is B 97.5, and WLMX in Chattanooga, called Light Mix 105, which has changed format a long time ago and i have no clue what it is now. I listened to these stations from 1992 to about 1995, and they played really laid back songs from the 60s to then current 90s, mostly the ballads from that era. I even remember once when WEZK played "You Send Me" by Sam Cook. I was too young to know what that was or when it was recorded, but my gramma was definitely singing and I thought it was an awesome song.

Unfortunately all I have locally is WJXA, which is going more pop, although they do still play some 80s and 90s songs.

You do realize that the line drawn between "soft rock" and "pop" is razor thin, and highly disputed, right? Ask ten different people what the difference between those two is, and you'll probably get eleven different answers.

Also, for me anyway, if I heard the newer songs occasionally and mixed in with all the other songs it would be better. Some AC stations, and B 97.5, which I would still like to listen to for nostalgia purposes, is one of the worst offenders. They pretty much sound like the top 40 station with just a bit of 80s and 90s thrown in there so they can claim they play the best variety. I guess I should take this rant to the Knoxville board.

Even though I'm of the MTV generation, I consider myself as more of an old soul in a young body, which is why performers such as Norah Jones, Adele, and Josh Groban appeal to me more than performers such as Taylor Swift or Miley Cyrus or Lady Gaga (or Gag-gag as I've nicknamed her) or Katy Perry. I seek out radio stations that play more of the first list and less of the second list.

Majority of the 2000's and 2010's performers in my music collection are Classical Crossover singers. They are artists that adopt strong classical influences in their music, but ultimately they have an accessible and popular sound or a marketable image to reach out to a wider audience. Easy listening would be the closest categorization for them. Track lists on their albums frequently consist of: traditional songs (e.g. `Danny Boy', `Scarborough Fair'), standards (e.g. `Over the Rainbow', `Bridge Over Troubled Water'), hymns (e.g. Abide With Me), classic showtunes (e.g. `Somewhere', `Music of the Night'), film scores ('Now We Are Free', `Nella Fantasia') and light classical pieces (e.g. Andrew Lloyd Webber's `Pie Jesu', all versions of `Ave Maria', `Panis Angelicus').

Also, for me anyway, if I heard the newer songs occasionally and mixed in with all the other songs it would be better.

That's why this one is amongst my favorites: www.joy995.com
It's primarily soft AC but is a little more adventurous compared to some other soft AC's I like.

Music lover, have you heard Celtic Thunder? Not soft rok so probably OT, but I think you'd like them. They've become my favorite group. Their song Heartland is the most epic thing I've ever heard.

Even though I'm of the MTV generation, I consider myself as more of an old soul in a young body, which is why performers such as Norah Jones, Adele, and Josh Groban appeal to me more than performers such as Taylor Swift or Miley Cyrus or Lady Gaga (or Gag-gag as I've nicknamed her) or Katy Perry. I seek out radio stations that play more of the first list and less of the second list.
I disagree about Adele. She sings "Skyfall" like her mouth is full of cotton.

You do realize that the line drawn between "soft rock" and "pop" is razor thin, and highly disputed, right? Ask ten different people what the difference between those two is, and you'll probably get eleven different answers.

This station has two streams. http://www.softrockradio.net/softrockhome.html

One is specifically for classic soft rock and the lighter side of classic rock.

The other stream is for classic love songs and soft classic hits. Because more pop-oriented acts are included, they have it classified as soft pop.

Amazon.com has a variety of music forums based upon customer tags. The pop rock tags range from albums by Barbra Streisand to albums by Kelly Clarkson. http://www.amazon.com/tag/pop rock/products/ref=tag_dh_istp

Amazon.com has a variety of music forums based upon customer tags. The pop rock tags range from albums by Barbra Streisand to albums by Kelly Clarkson. http://www.amazon.com/tag/pop rock/products/ref=tag_dh_istp

"Customer tags" are an example of asking ten different people for an answer and getting eleven different answers.

I think it depends on the material. There is some contemporary material Barbra did during the 70s and 80s I would classify as being soft pop/rock.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom