• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Looking for a good (possibly great) AAA station that plays my taste in music

T

TripleAGeek

First, of course, you'd have to know what my taste in music is. Here is a list of bands that I really like:

R.E.M., Counting Crows, Snow Patrol, U2, Death Cab for Cutie, Barenaked Ladies, Bob Dylan, The Killers, The Beatles, The Pretenders, Bob Marley, The Police, Regina Spektor, Bonnie Raitt, Nick Drake, Bruce Springsteen, Peter Gabriel, Tom Petty, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, The Velvet Underground, Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, Pearl Jam, Goo Goo Dolls, Radiohead, Oasis, The Shins, Coldplay, Guster, Feist, Wilco, Pete Yorn, Ryan Adams, My Morning Jacket, John Lennon, John Mellencamp, The White Stripes, Dave Matthews Band

The closest I know that would match my taste would be either the Music Choice AA station or The Spectrum on Sirius/XM, but I want something that's more a cross between the two. In other words, I want a station where, in addition to the "usual suspects" like current indie/alt rock (Death Cab, Snow Patrol, The Killers, The Shins, etc.), '90s alt/modern rock (Pearl Jam, Goo Goo Dolls, Oasis, Counting Crows, etc.), and late '70s/'80s alt-rock/new wave (Elvis Costello, The Police, U2, R.E.M., etc.) that is played, that '70s singer/songwriter rock (John Lennon, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, Joni Mitchell, etc.) and just a sprinkle of "proto-indie" rock from the '60s/early '70s (The Beatles, The Velvet Underground, Nick Drake, etc.) is also included.

If anyone knows of a station like this please let me know! Thanks =)

There are few stations that diverse, however some come close. Check out the thread below about the best AAA stations.

Today, I just checked out an old Internet-only station out of Cleveland which is very special... The Legato Cafe. They were on for a few years but discontinued maybe a year or so ago. I was a semi-regular listener. Well they're back!! Check out the link to their recent playlist. From there you can find the listen now link in 128 kbps. Try them I think they're great!!

http://www.legatocafe.net/index.php?option=com_last100&Itemid=92

Hey Tripleageek,

I'll repeat myself from the previous string -try www.indiesf.com

it should float your boat - well thought out sets of music that are actually put together by hand everyday (not just a computer picking everything and putting in some order that makes no sense).

you'll hear a lot of music you probably haven't heard since freeform radio and lots of new artists nobody is giving the time of day to outside of college radio.

Enjoy!

Thank you, SuperRadioFan, for your suggestion! Legato Cafe is awesome! Joan Osborne, The Pretenders, Widespread Panic, Live, Gomez, Bruce Springsteen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Ani DiFranco, and early Train on one station...good stuff. (And those are just the well-known bands I heard). I also heard a song on there called "I Believe" by a (slightly) lesser-known band called Sloan. Had a nice little Matthew Sweet/Posies type sound to it, so I liked it. I think as time goes on, I might just become a regular listener. Thanx SOOOO much, SuperRadioFan!

www.wdiy.org Specifically listen to Good Clean Fun this saturday from 8 to 11 pm East Coast time. I'll make you happy. I will not play Barenaked Ladies or DMB, but every other artist you listed is possible.

TripleAGeek said:
Thank you, SuperRadioFan, for your suggestion! Legato Cafe is awesome! Joan Osborne, The Pretenders, Widespread Panic, Live, Gomez, Bruce Springsteen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Ani DiFranco, and early Train on one station...good stuff. (And those are just the well-known bands I heard). I also heard a song on there called "I Believe" by a (slightly) lesser-known band called Sloan. Had a nice little Matthew Sweet/Posies type sound to it, so I liked it. I think as time goes on, I might just become a regular listener. Thanx SOOOO much, SuperRadioFan!

Hi there TripleAGeek and SuperRadioFan!

SuperRadioFan "clued" me in on his post here, so I'm chiming in!

I along with my wife Karoline operate www.LegatoCafe.net, and we're glad you checked it out,and enjoyed what you heard so far. Looking at your taste in music, I see that we do play all the artists on your list and many more!

I fell into the Triple-A "format" in the late '80's - ( back when the programming style had no single name for it) and I've been hooked ever since.

The good and the bad of it all is that it isn't really a format. What this means for us is that it is always hard to point your finger at any one example and say "see..that's Triple-A!" As such, it's always hard to get people to check it out because half of the music most folks have never heard of, and the rest doesn't seem to fit together if they were to see it on a list. LOL.

My wife and I, along with our good friend and partner, Daniel Anstandig originally fired up LegatoCafe in 2004, and temporarily "placed it in Park" about "a year and a half or so" ago while our life activities took us in different directions. We're back, with a stronger music mix than before, and chugging along!

I have worked in the broadcast radio arena for about 19 1/2 years as a Broadcast Engineer (the guy who installs & keeps the equipment working) and have had my hand at programming here and there, but most of my programming fun happened on a local non-commercial station. By 1998, most of what I was doing there (Triple-A radio programs) eventually morphed into my first internet-only Triple-A station "City Internet Radio".

As an Engineer, and now a R&D developer for a Broadcast equipment manufacturer, I generally hang out in the "Engineering" section of this website, so It's interesting to make my appearance over here for a totally different reason :)

Anyhow, I thought I'd chime in to say "Hi", "Thanks" and provide some background!

Happy listening!

-Cornelius

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom