• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Looking for a copy or original tape of the KOMA Singing Clock

in the timeframe 1961-1962, when KOMA was largely automated, they had a number of gadgets, one of which was a "singing clock" that covered every minute of a 12 hour span. I am looking for a copy of OR the original tape to digitize it.

in the timeframe 1961-1962, when KOMA was largely automated, they had a number of gadgets, one of which was a "singing clock" that covered every minute of a 12 hour span. I am looking for a copy of OR the original tape to digitize it.

I don't recall KOMA, one of the big Storz stations, being automated in those years. It was a top rated live with personality DJs Top 40 like WDGY, WHB, KXOK, WTIX and WQAM.

What I recall were the ads for movies and shows that mentioned "openings" or "playing" in places as diverse as Jamestown, ND, and Raton, New Mexico and Pampa, TX and Lamar, Colorado.

I don't recall KOMA, one of the big Storz stations, being automated in those years. It was a top rated live with personality DJs Top 40 like WDGY, WHB, KXOK, WTIX and WQAM.

What I recall were the ads for movies and shows that mentioned "openings" or "playing" in places as diverse as Jamestown, ND, and Raton, New Mexico and Pampa, TX and Lamar, Colorado.

Agreed. I listened to KOMA in the early 60s and they always had DJs. I remember on Sundays they had at least one of the regular newsmen doing a shift.

Somewhere I remember seeing a picture of the automation system at KOMA. And some mention somewhere that Todd Storz had stopped by the station and asked how the automation was working. The GM or PD told him they quit using it, and Storz said good. So it apparently wasn't used very long.

KOMA Automation

I made several airchecks in the summer of 1961 and 1962 while vacationing in northern Minnesota and remember quite well that a disclaimer was announced preceding the news at :55 that "the preceding was mechanically reproduced." Also, Deane John has a bunch of pictures of the automation hardware on his web site. I recall many times that there was often dead air or two events playing at the same time (kind of like we have today with computer automation ;-) ).

I made several airchecks in the summer of 1961 and 1962 while vacationing in northern Minnesota and remember quite well that a disclaimer was announced preceding the news at :55 that "the preceding was mechanically reproduced." Also, Deane John has a bunch of pictures of the automation hardware on his web site. I recall many times that there was often dead air or two events playing at the same time (kind of like we have today with computer automation ;-) ).

The recorded content announcement was a holdover from network days of delayed broadcast. Many interpreted the requirement to include phonograph records which were different from live recordings. That announcement was sometimes used even on 100% live shows that played music.

If you look for KOMA charts at www.las-solanas.com for 1960-1962 you can see it was live 24/7 with personality jocks.

I was not aware of any automation gear being used in a Top 40 station until well into the 70’s. Even tape carts were relatively new in 1961.

Last edited:
KOMA was an automated or was at least a primarily automated Top 40 station from 1961 until 1964. Here is a quote from the KOMA History page:

"In 1961, the KOMA studios and transmitter were permanently combined at one site on the southside of Oklahoma City. KOMA then became a pioneer totally automated station for a period of three years. In 1964, it was determined that KOMA could better serve the public by returning to “live” programming. Automation proved to be too sterile and impersonal, so “personality” was returned to KOMA."

You can read a detailed history of the station here:

History – KOMA

Bob

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom