• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Location & radio/antenna combination

I know this was a topic a while back, but we have some new posters.

Cincinnati, Ohio

Primary Equipment:
Drake R8B connected through an antenna switch to a Wellbrook 1530+ loop with antenna rotor, Par Electronics EF-SWL longwire end fed sloper and a Quantum QX Loop v2.0 Plus+.
Sony XDRF1HD HD Radio for FM DX and occasionaly MW DX.

I have a ton of recently purchased ultralights and other radios collected recently and throughout my 49 years of DXing.

I mostly DX long, medium and shortwave.

Location 25 miles north of Chicago:

Started DXing in 1961 with a Zenith Trans Oceanic which I still have.
Have had many radios over the years. Currently use CCRadio Plus & a Grundig G5 for traveling.
No elaborate antenna system unfortunately. Mostly MW with some SWL.

I'm located just north of Brockville, Ontario and I'm using a Realistic DX-440, with maybe 100ft of long wire. My recent TA catches (two...so far) have been made with the internal antenna.

~BG

Location - Tampa, Florida

Grew up in a New Jersey right outside of Philly and moved to Florida at the age of 22.

Started getting interested in AM DXing in 1972 at the age of 10 when I got a GE portable AM/FM mono speaker radio. In the 70s, I was also quite interested in TV DXing before we had cable TV.

I've never used any special equipment or radios to DX with but I've had fairly good portable radios over the years.

I've also had some fun DXing with my AM Stereo Walkman that I got in 84 right before moving down here to Florida. There was a unique thrill of hearing distant music stations like WNBC, WLS, and others in stereo. (I could kick myself for not holding on to the thing.)

In more recent years, I've been using a Sony Walkman with the digital tuner and it's gotten some real good reception considering it's size. I recently got a Sangean PR-D5 and I think it's a great radio for DXing.

Various locations-FL, MA, Midwest. Radio-Antenna-Primarily older Bose Wave radio (ave to good tuner-real directional in radio antenna). I'm going to be trying out an older GE AM FM 8 track with manual tuning which seems to have a real strong/sensitive tuner which I bought for $2 late last winter while in Fla. Hope to take shots at Europe with it later this fall/winter.

Location, Fredericksburg, VA, about 45 miles N of Richmond.

Primary radio for AM/SW DX is now a new Palstar R30A, antennas are loops: I find that the Select-a-Tenna connected to the Palstar pulls in distant stations during the daytime slightly better than the Terk Advantage. I started experimenting with an untuned homemade 28" loop with 3 turns of wire and the Terk attached to the bigger loop's frame and positioned in the center of the loop. I think I may be getting sharper selectivity with this antenna combination, and possibly less rf noise. It's too early to tell if this whole thing works better or not. I made a box loop antenna only to find that the variable capacitor's plates are touching each other so I plan to replace it soon, and to rewire the loop.

Equipt:
Drake SW-8 with a Quantum QX
Drake R-8 with a 33' 5 wire Sloper in the attic as well as a Wellbrook ALA-1530+ on a rotator in attic (yet to be installed)
Eton E-100 with a Super Stick

Main interest is MW and Tropicals

Just started the hobby this year so much to learn....
glenn (buckeyeair)

Icom IC-R75 with DSP; about 100' longwire NE/SW, small flat AM loop from the back of a small tube radio. This radio is particularly excellent for SW.
Sony ICF-SW7600GR internal ferrite loop, SW coil antenna The MW TA catches are better heard with this radio!
Zenith Model 6-S-254, 1938. http://www.oldradiozone.com/Z_6S254.html Yes, it still works, sounds great and has good reception! Really for armchair listening!
Pioneer SX-750 receiver; indoor dipole and 26 db gain Winegard FM preamplifier. This setup got most of my Tropo and eskip catches this past spring/summer.
Sony STR-DE997 receiver; attic mounted turnstile antenna only about 15' above ground, my location is somewhat higher than the surrounding terrain, no need for a tower!
Uniden Bearcat Scanner BC855XLT Lo/Med VHF, UHF; attic mounted discone antenna.

Main Interests: MW/LW and FM DX.
Future Projects: AM/MW/LW box loop antenna, amplified vertical MW/LW antenna, preselector.

Location: Muskegon, MI. (Lake Michigan shoreline, directly across from Milwaukee)

Receiver: Radio Shack DX-440 ($10 flea market find!)
Antenna: Quantum QX Loop v2.0
Current interests: DXing medium wave

Started DXing in the 1980s using a "GE World Monitor" #7-2990A for shortwave and a Zenith Transoceanic for medium wave DX. Had a brief membership with IRCA and was a long time member of the ACE. Back then, I was primarily interested in DXing and QSLing shortwave pirates and utility stations. Also used an old Heathkit GR-81 that could receive longwave and took up an interest DXing beacons. For scanning, I still use the "old" Uniden BC9000XLT.

For casual medium wave listening, we have two restored antique Zenith radios in the house that are used daily and sound wonderful. One's a 1937 6S27 tombstone and the other is a 1940 11S474 console. I collect antique radios too...

Future plans: phasing two BOG antennas (feedline and transformers already in place), taking up an interest again in shortwave pirate DXing and longwave DX, and upgrading to a new communications receiver.

kilokat7 said:
Location: Muskegon, MI. (Lake Michigan shoreline, directly across from Milwaukee)

Receiver: Radio Shack DX-440 ($10 flea market find!)
Antenna: Quantum QX Loop v2.0
Current interests: DXing medium wave

Started DXing in the 1980s using a "GE World Monitor" #7-2990A for shortwave and a Zenith Transoceanic for medium wave DX. Had a brief membership with IRCA and was a long time member of the ACE. Back then, I was primarily interested in DXing and QSLing shortwave pirates and utility stations. Also used an old Heathkit GR-81 that could receive longwave and took up an interest DXing beacons. For scanning, I still use the "old" Uniden BC9000XLT.

For casual medium wave listening, we have two restored antique Zenith radios in the house that are used daily and sound wonderful. One's a 1937 6S27 tombstone and the other is a 1940 11S474 console. I collect antique radios too...

Future plans: phasing two BOG antennas (feedline and transformers already in place), taking up an interest again in shortwave pirate DXing and longwave DX, and upgrading to a new communications receiver.

$10! I paid atleast a couple of hundred (Canadian) for mine, when bought new back in the late '80's. It's done a lot of miles since, but this is currently the best MW/LW workout it's ever done.

~BG

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom