• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Local News in E. WA is in a sad state

That's at 11PM. At KEPR, Tom is live, while KIMA is definitely prerecorded @ 11PM. After the Yakima insert, Alan Sillence gives a teaser of the sports report. The middle of the newscast is a simulcast of KEPR, and the sports segment is separate from KEPR, with Alan. They always mention on Friday nights..."local Yakima and Kittitas Valley high school football highlights, with no Tri-Cities mixed in."
5 and 6PM are local on ch 29. Mike McCabe's WX is obviously on tape, while the other two stations don't even matter because everything comes from Pasco with a few Yakima stories mixed in to the newscast from local reporters.

That 1986 KNDO clip was back when 23 and 35 had dueling studios on either side of 24th Ave. Both all but a memory now. I've got tons more Yakima stuff to add, a couple more newscast clips, and tons of 1980s-2000s commercials. Go subscribe...VHSgoodiesWA!

KNDU got a new reporter with Rex Carlin (formerly of Montana). He's not that bad!
I think I mentioned that Jason Valentine joined the 5/6:30 news on 35/42. He used to do GMNW with Jade Redinger.

And speaking of 35/42, they've still got that godawful David Lee introducing the news, and then this proves how cheap they can be. https://www.facebook.com/KAPPKVEW
The whole set is a green screen besides the desk! Something's really wrong with a newscast when it used to look BETTER in the 1990s than now, in the HD age. No wonder they are #3 in the market.

A couple minor changes as we go into 2017:
KVEW/KAPP - Mike Gonzalez is now doing the news with Amanda Quintana, the multimedia journalist, at 5 and 6:30. This is Quintana's first big news job, she was a production assistant at KPIX and an intern at KSWB/San Diego a few years ago. Yet the CBS stations here still don't have a second anchor.

KNDU now has yet another new reporter (Mackenzie Allen). I notice the weeknight news anchors go Sunday-Thursday, while the weekend crew is on Friday and Saturday. I recall seeing this on KCPQ when I last lived in the Seattle area - the regular weeknight crew worked on Sundays as well.

I'm noticing a new promo for KIMA, yet it explicitly does not mention the station - only Sinclair Media. The promo only mentions local KIMA news and not the other 170+ stations Sinclair owns. Wondering when they will upgrade to the Sinclair package and graphics, if ever.

KIMA/KEPR's weather graphics have changed to the new Sinclair look, ala KOMO/KATU. But not regular news, still using Fisher-era graphics. Perhaps we could be seeing full Sinclair graphics and a new open later this year?

KIMA/KEPR's weather graphics have changed to the new Sinclair look, ala KOMO/KATU. But not regular news, still using Fisher-era graphics. Perhaps we could be seeing full Sinclair graphics and a new open later this year?

And KVEW/KAPP has softened their approach, getting rid of the "rock" intro. (perhaps listening to some of us on here, but I doubt it). Still only offering 4 minutes of news at 11. I can't take them seriously until they prove they want to be a true player in the market.

Last edited:
So no more David Lee on "KVEW-42/KAPP-35"? Thank goodness. Worst announcing voice ever for a newscast! And there have been some really bad, really exaggerated ones throughout the USA, throughout the years. David should just stick to WW1 NFL Football and all of those hard rock stations. But they still have that stupid green screen set. I wouldn't want to be in Mike Gonzalez's shoes - stepping into an entire set of green. Wanna make a bet the cameras are also colored green? ;)
A far cry from pre-2008, when KAPP was still on 24th Avenue in Yakima and had a full half-hour newscast at 11.

Starting to watch Tom Yazwinski more often on KIMA's 11PM. Interesting personality. We don't see Alan Hoshida here because KIMA has their own 11PM sports segment (with Alan Sillence).
Who's doing weekend weather? McCabe on 2nd shift? Remember, Kelley Bayern took over Jay Frank on the 5-7AM news a few weeks ago. Jay now lives in Yakima and is taking a non-news job.

Little change to 23/25 except there's a new second reporter at the Yakima "studio". (it's a SALES OFFICE! On Yakima Ave!)

I hope they don't give up in Spokane like they did in the Tri-Cities/Yakima. If they do, it would be a tremendous disservice to Washington's 2nd city. Also, I'm sure they are aware they are the Canadian ABC affiliate for most of Alberta.

They gave up Saturday night - a Rizzoli & Isles rerun airs at 11PM instead of news. In a city of about a quarter million!

I read a Spokesman Review article a few weeks ago that said they (KXLY) told her to increase her social media presence. She was lucky to land a job across the street (at KXLY) when she got dropped before.

JMHO

I think you meant to say "KREM", not KXLY when she moved over to KXLY. She teamed with former LA anchor Charles Rowe at KREM for many years. I do wonder why when Richard Brown left KXLY they never paired her with a co-anchor. Budget, or just thinking she should be the main anchor?

I think you meant to say "KREM", not KXLY when she moved over to KXLY. She teamed with former LA anchor Charles Rowe at KREM for many years. I do wonder why when Richard Brown left KXLY they never paired her with a co-anchor. Budget, or just thinking she should be the main anchor?

Probably budget. KXLY doesn't even do a Saturday 11 pm newscast or a Sunday morning newscast anymore, and as has been mentioned upthread, sister stations KAPP/KVEW are in even worse shape. Morgan Murphy probably invests most of its money into its Wisconsin stations.

Probably budget. KXLY doesn't even do a Saturday 11 pm newscast or a Sunday morning newscast anymore, and as has been mentioned upthread, sister stations KAPP/KVEW are in even worse shape. Morgan Murphy probably invests most of its money into its Wisconsin stations.

Could be, but apparently they want to keep Nadine if these posts are accurate. I still think they could do better with a co-anchor, just because this is the usual viewer expectation. I am somewhat amazed at the conflicting reports on Woodward's status...not usual in a market like Spokane. But more power to her if she gained a better contract. I would like to see KXLY become a big player again, and Woodward is the base, no doubt. Now, can they give her a great support staff? That is the ultimate answer to KXLY becoming a news leader again.

I was referring to KXLY. I read the article last month.

Could be, but apparently they want to keep Nadine if these posts are accurate. I still think they could do better with a co-anchor, just because this is the usual viewer expectation. I am somewhat amazed at the conflicting reports on Woodward's status...not usual in a market like Spokane. But more power to her if she gained a better contract. I would like to see KXLY become a big player again, and Woodward is the base, no doubt. Now, can they give her a great support staff? That is the ultimate answer to KXLY becoming a news leader again.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I've long thought they need to find a Charles Rowe-type anchor with some experience and gravitas to pair her with.

There is this from the Indeed on-line job site today. Four openings at Sinclair-Tri-Cities. Location shows Pasco. So I assume these all would be with KEPR, but they share a lot of programming with Yakima's KIMA.

Multi-media Journalist
Weather Anchor/Reporter
Anchor/Multimedia Journalist
News Anchor/Producer

Last edited:
The Weather Anchor position opened when Jay Frank left. They have been looking for a 2nd news anchor since Annie Andrews left in early 2016. I presume these are all Tri-Cities positions - KIMA doesn't want to improve their finished product with a co-anchor next to Scott Stovall...
On the other hand, just about 10 years ago, you could watch local KIMA news and see two anchors on the set. But Fisher was a whole different animal compared to Sinclair.

Back
Top Bottom