• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Live with Kelly

Reports are that the field has narrowed to Seth Meyers, Michael Strahan and Josh Groban. Gelman or some other exec with the show or Disney/ABC reminded people that it took 18 months to find a replacement for Kathie Lee.

18 months? Then they had to have started looking for Kathie Lee's replacement while she was still on the show...

I don't recall specifics, though I suspect that 18 months from the time she told producers, which was likely even before an announcement was made publicly. Then there were a couple months before the actual goodbye.

I think Strahan lost the gig when he fumbled and bumbled through his recent one-week-long tryout. Seth Meyers seems more interested that you might think, although you get the impression that he thinks he could produce/write a better show (likely true). Strangely Josh Groban appears to want it most of all. Maybe he truly wants to give up the touring gigs and stay home in NYC 45 weeks a year.

I predict a November 2012 announcement and a January 2013 relaunch.

Apologies. According to Wickedpedia, KL left in November '00 and KR started in February '01.

Time frame nonetheless, I did see Gelman or someone quoted as saying they were taking their time.

I like Strahan, but this isn't the right venue for him. Groban does a respectable job as the fill-in, but the aforementioned tours and recording might halt that. Of the three, Seth Meyers seems the best fit. Ideally he'd stay with SNL for Update, step down as head writer and take the job.

Then again I thought Pat Kiernan was a lock.

I tried watching the show after Regis left and couldn't stand it. At least Regis told stories that were interesting and had his audience in mind. I hope he finds a new place on television or the internet. Larry King's new internet show is pretty interesting. Maybe Regis could do something internet-based?

From a budget perspective, Disney/ABC is delaying hiring anybody because it's so much cheaper and safer filling guest co-hosts than to start someone at a salary equivalent to Kelly and likely see little if no gain in ratings. Suppose the pairing doesn't work in the ratings, or Kelly doesn't get along with the person. Anyone famous would want atleast Kelly's salary. Kelly likely wouldn't pleased in an arrangement with the new male co-host making more than her too. Anyone not so famous who would take a low salary might not bring any uptick in ratings, and if he did, he'd ask for more salary in a year or two likely leading to issue there.

Anyways, the current safe arrangement works as long as Kelly + co-host formula is fine in the ratings...

ding12 said:
From a budget perspective, Disney/ABC is delaying hiring anybody because it's so much cheaper and safer filling guest co-hosts than to start someone at a salary equivalent to Kelly and likely see little if no gain in ratings. Suppose the pairing doesn't work in the ratings, or Kelly doesn't get along with the person. Anyone famous would want atleast Kelly's salary. Kelly likely wouldn't pleased in an arrangement with the new male co-host making more than her too. Anyone not so famous who would take a low salary might not bring any uptick in ratings, and if he did, he'd ask for more salary in a year or two likely leading to issue there.

Anyways, the current safe arrangement works as long as Kelly + co-host formula is fine in the ratings...
Good point, but in the June's survey that I saw it was ranked 28th in syndicated programming.

Here is the ranking I saw:

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=215112.0

KyDXIn said:
Good point, but in the June's survey that I saw it was ranked 28th in syndicated programming.

Here is the ranking I saw:

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=215112.0

I think a better snapshot would be September/October. I'm not sure if re-runs were running back in June. Kelly's show still beats Rachael Ray's show. I use that as a comparison since WABC, WPVI and WTVD, the east coast ABC O&Os carry both, but have to pay another distributor/syndicator for Rachael's show, while Kelly is essentially in house. If Rachael's show was doing better over Kelly, it'd make more sense to move Rachael to 9am and maybe call it a day for 'Live with Kelly' or make big changes, but that's not the case yet.

Michael Strahan is the new co-host. The in-studio response was lukewarm with a smattering of applause. Kelly seemed way to excited to have him as her new co-host, telling him "I've missed you." I wonder how that will play at home?

It will be interesting to see how long they give him if, in the short run, the chemistry (with Kelly and/or the audience) really doesn't work out. Would they give him an entire season or dump him during a season??

-Conan lasted...was it 9 months?...on The Tonight Show.
-Rolf Benirschke lasted one season as host of the daytime Wheel of Fortune after Sajak left to host his late night talk show (altho Wheel changed networks and replaced Rolf with Bob Goen)
-Connie Chung lasted a couple of years as co-anchor, with Dan Rather, of the CBS Evening News
-More recently, poor Ann Curry lasted slightly more than a year on Today before very being very publicly and unceremoniously pushed on to other things
-Deborah Norville lasted a bit longer than that as Bryant Gumbel's new co-host in the early 90s when she replaced Jane Pauley

I'm sure we can all think of other replacements who just didn't work out for one reason or another. ;D

What are the chances od "Good Morning America" expanding into the 9 a.m. Eastern hour for their ABC affiliates? ABC's "Afternoon" version is ending soon, but I could see it playing in a 3rd hour and being popular.

Isnt Kelly on at 9:00 in the Eastern Time Zone and on ABC in most markets?

Kinda hard to expand GMA when alot of markets have Kelly after that

unclehonkey said:
Isnt Kelly on at 9:00 in the Eastern Time Zone and on ABC in most markets?

Kinda hard to expand GMA when alot of markets have Kelly after that

Yes, their show is live most days in the eastern time zone. I don't know how many ABC affiliates carry Live with Kelly, but ABC O&O carries the show on all their stations, except for WLS-TV, since they've always had it on in the overnight hours, when they did carry Live (then Live with Regis & Kathie Lee). For WLS-TV, they always had Oprah on at 9am, and now, it's Windy City Live in the same timeslot. WLS-TV is looking to pickup the program when WGN-TV's contract ends next year. I don't know where they'd put it, unless they think Katie will get cancelled to put it at 2 or 3pm, move Jeopardy & Inside Edition to the overnight hours so Live could be on in the afternoon, or put Live with Kelly in the overnight hours (like they did with Live With Regis & Kathie Lee). There's also the possibility that the new station manager might cancel Windy City Live to have Live With Kelly in that timeslot. Emily Barr (former station manager for WLS-TV) was the brains behind Windy City Live, as well as the Livewell Network.

I know during his recent visit with Kathie Lee on the "Today" show, Regis stressed that "Live" is a syndicated show owned by Disney which owns ABC. I guess since it is syndicated, ABC could play it at a different hour on the ABC affiliate if it does poorly in the hour after GMA. ABC is beating the "Today" show in the ratings now, but it may have to expand its GMA brand to keep pace with NBC.

Thought I would tune in to see the new Kelly and Michael show this morning. Didn't make it past the opening where it was announced that they are the "Emmy-award winning" show (even though it was with Regis). I thought the 3-foot rotating Emmy in the background was a bit much.

Caught a short segment of Live on Monday and they both talked about the parody on SNL. A short clip of the SNL skip was shown including the portion where "Kelly" says she is really dense.

When they came back to Kelly and Michael, she looked at him and said "Yes, I am very dense."

It seemed the obvious reference to being dense (not very smart) just went over her head.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom