• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Lesley Gore Dead at 68

Indeed. And some songs are remembered while others are forgotten; there's no vast (or even half-vast) conspiracy there; it's just human nature. "Stardust" is remembered, "Get Away From the Fish Wagon, Gertrude (The Man Ain't a-Honkin' At You!)" isn't. (PS: That's an actual song title...)

Was "Fish" a Top 40 song?

Close. Actually, the U.S. version of Duane Eddy's "Some Kinda Earthquake" (#37, 1959) clocked in at 1:17.

I'm guessing that the only reason this song was picked up at all, assuming it was, was because Duane Eddy is a recognizable name and it promptly died. There are any number of very short flip-sides of big hits, that are probably better known than this song.

I'm guessing that the only reason this song was picked up at all, assuming it was, was because Duane Eddy is a recognizable name and it promptly died. There are any number of very short flip-sides of big hits, that are probably better known than this song.

The original post was referring to the shortest Top 40 song.

Was "Fish" a Top 40 song?

The Top 40 as such did not exist in the 1940's. In the pre-rock era, sheet music sales were more important than recordings. Many songs were recorded in multiple versions by different labels, and sold in competition with each other. Here again, certain versions were remembered and others forgotten. For example, Kay Kyser's version of "Woody Woodpecker" on Columbia is the one best remembered now, but it was also recorded by Danny Kaye on Decca, Mel Blanc on Capitol, and others.

As far as "Fish Wagon" is concerned, it was recorded by Freddie Fisher (a rival of Spike Jones), sold on at least 2 different 78 rpm labels (my mom owned a copy!) and can be found today on private-issue CD collections of Fisher and novelty songs.

PS: This thread is now officially off topic. "Oh, Magoo, you've done it again..."

there's no vast (or even half-vast) conspiracy there; it's just human nature.

Depends on how you define "conspiracy". I'm told that radio programmers test audiences to see which songs get the best results. Of course they would test younger audiences that they want to program to. They play the songs that test well with those younger audiences. And those are the songs that would be remembered through the years. Is that a "conspiracy"? Let the folks decide. I had no trouble remembering the Duane Eddy song. I bought the 45. But nobody "tested" me.

Last edited:
Is that a "conspiracy"? Let the folks decide.

Once again, remember that a lot of programmers and almost all radio CEOs are not only boomers, but have been programmers since the 70s. So if there's a bias in the programmers, it would be towards the older music. But as a former boss of mine told me, if he programmed what he liked, he wouldn't be able to afford the lifestyle he's become accustomed to. So it has nothing to do with radio programmers.

Once again, remember that a lot of programmers and almost all radio CEOs are not only boomers, but have been programmers since the 70s. So if there's a bias in the programmers, it would be towards the older music. But as a former boss of mine told me, if he programmed what he liked, he wouldn't be able to afford the lifestyle he's become accustomed to. So it has nothing to do with radio programmers.

Sorry.............I probably wasn't clear. What I meant to say was that consultants (or whoever) that "test" songs with audiences are biased when they choose those audiences. They want people in the age group that radio programs to. And that's as it should be. As you said, the bills have to be paid. A poster in this thread said that a Top 40 song from 1959 was irrelevant because he didn't remember it. Of course he didn't remember it.............radio hasn't played it for over 50 years! It probably didn't "test" well. Oldies radio has controlled the '50s & '60s songs we've heard (and therefore remember) since the 1970s. Because radio thinks a song is irrelevant doesn't make it irrelevant.

Because radio thinks a song is irrelevant doesn't make it irrelevant.

I don't know that anyone in radio thinks certain songs are "irrelevant."

But as I said, music is multi-dimensional. I heard a presentation on how the companies that make video games are using music to attract users.

I don't know that anyone in radio thinks certain songs are "irrelevant."

But as I said, music is multi-dimensional. I heard a presentation on how the companies that make video games are using music to attract users.

No, I have to think that a 56 year-old song, that no one liked, in the first place, and hasn't had some kind of revival, in the intervening years, is irrelevant, when it comes to playing it for the masses!

No, I have to think that a 56 year-old song, that no one liked, in the first place, and hasn't had some kind of revival, in the intervening years, is irrelevant, when it comes to playing it for the masses!

My point is it's not up to radio to keep a song "relevant." Songs are copyrights that are owned and continue to deliver royalties every time they are played. It's up to the owners of those songs to keep them relevant. That means pitching them to advertisers, video games, other artists for revivals, Broadway plays, moves, and any other outlet where music is used. Radio is just ONE outlet.

Well, yes. Like I said, the "masses" you speak of are listeners who have been conditioned to believe that the only relevant '50s -'60s songs are those played by Oldies radio since the 1970s. Take a "mass" of listeners who heard that 56 year old song when it WAS played on the radio and you'll get a different answer. Of course radio (and advertisers) don't care about that "mass", and that's fine. In today's world there are many other sources for music. And listeners of ALL ages are finding them.

Last edited:
Well, yes. Like I said, the "masses" you speak of are listeners who have been conditioned to believe that the only relevant '50s -'60s songs are those played by Oldies radio since the 1970s. Take a "mass" of listeners who heard that 56 year old song when it WAS played on the radio and you'll get a different answer. Of course radio (and advertisers) don't care about that "mass", and that's fine. In today's world there are many other sources for music. And listeners of ALL ages are finding them.

A song that peaked at #37 in 1959 wasn't a hit. It may or may not have sold at all. It may have climbed that high, just from wholesale orders. The fact that someone remembers hearing it on the radio at least indicates it got that far, if not for long. Then again, maybe it was a regional "hit" of sorts, which could explain why you remember the song. My point was that if no one liked it then, it's unlikely that very many people would like it now.

A song that peaked at #37 in 1959 wasn't a hit. It may or may not have sold at all. It may have climbed that high, just from wholesale orders. The fact that someone remembers hearing it on the radio at least indicates it got that far, if not for long. Then again, maybe it was a regional "hit" of sorts, which could explain why you remember the song. My point was that if no one liked it then, it's unlikely that very many people would like it now.

The Beach Boys' "God Only Knows" only reached #39 in 1966. I personally dislike the song, but Oldies radio plays it all the time. I guess it "tested well". Go figure.

We could start a whole new thread listing TOP TEN songs from the ''50s & '60s that few people remember because Oldies radio never played them.

We could start a whole new thread listing TOP TEN songs from the ''50s & '60s that few people remember because Oldies radio never played them.

It's the other way around. The didn't get played because no one remembered them.

The Beach Boys' "God Only Knows" only reached #39 in 1966. I personally dislike the song, but Oldies radio plays it all the time. I guess it "tested well". Go figure.

Two different formats with two different target audiences.

Last edited:
(1)It's the other way around. The didn't get played because no one remembered them.

(2)Two different formats with two different target audiences.

(1) How would radio know that nobody remembered them? And exactly who is the "nobody"? (2) Please explain. What are the formats and who are the audiences?

Last edited:
(1) How would radio know that nobody remembered them? And exactly who is the "nobody"?

There are lots of ways to ascertain popularity of songs. One way I like is go to concerts, see what songs the artists do, and watch how the audience reacts.

The Beach Boys still do "God Only Knows" in their live shows. It's towards the end, with Good Vibrations and Barbara Ann.

Please explain. What are the formats and who are the audiences?

The chart was based on Top 40, aiming at young audiences, while Oldies is aiming at older adults.

I have a friend who worked at Capitol in the 60s who told me that after Good Vibrations, the Beach Boys couldn't get much airplay on Top 40. But Oldies stations played them, and actually the "Surf's Up" and "Holland" albums got some rock airplay in the 70s.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom