• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Legendary LA Rock DJ Jim Ladd has passed at 75

Jim Ladd was one of the many voices I grew up with in LA, literally part of the soundtrack to my life. Jim was all about what radio, at its highest art form, should be, and making great compelling radio for listeners that don't just hear the music, but think about it and apply it to their lives. Jim worked at nearly every major rock station in town over the years, but of course is most closely known for bouncing back and forth between KMET and KLOS during the AOR classic rock golden era, and then later working at KLSX and KMPC-FM/KEDG. He loved working at the last, that station most closely resembling how he would structure a rock station himself. His good friend J.J. Jackson was the actual PD.

Over the years this poster has given it to Jim on this board In a good-natured ribbing sort of way, for some of his outlandish political views, overall pomposity, and refusing to let any hour go by without playing a Doors record, but this was all nit-picking. Jim was one of the best DJs to grace the local and national airwaves. Agree with him or not, he was always compelling listening, which is what radio should be. I may have more to say later, but for now, RIP Jim and big Whoo-ya to ya!

A legend. I just got off the phone with a co-worker he and I shared in common. A big loss that's hitting very hard.

Note to @DavidEduardo ---I really believe Flip's post belongs here for all the reasons we've discussed when a major talent associated with a particular market passes. Not everyone reads the In Memoriam section.

75 is not young, but it's also not ancient these days. Ladd certainly had a large impact on Album Rock Radio. Some current Radio folks may not believe it, but there was a time when jocks actually cared about the music they played. They also had the freedom to pick some of the music. I know because I worked at stations that hired people for their knowledge and expertise. Listeners responded to it because they could tell the difference between intelligent content and empty jock blather. RIP...

A legend. I just got off the phone with a co-worker he and I shared in common. A big loss that's hitting very hard.

Note to @DavidEduardo ---I really believe Flip's post belongs here for all the reasons we've discussed when a major talent associated with a particular market passes. Not everyone reads the In Memoriam section.
I would agree that this post should stay on the LA board, fwiw.

75 is not young, but it's also not ancient these days.

At three months from 68, let me just say bless you for saying that.

The co-worker Jim Ladd and I shared in common is only six months younger than Jim. And we were discussing how, these days, anything under 80 is taken as a bit of a shock.

In L.A. album rock circles, it's been a kinda grim past few years---Mary Turner at 76 in May, Damion (Bragdon) at 79 in April, Steven Segal (The Obscene Steven Clean) at 76 last November, and Jimmy Rabbitt at 79 in late 2020. And I'm sadly probably missing a few.

The co-worker Jim Ladd and I shared in common is only six months younger than Jim. And we were discussing how, these days, anything under 80 is taken as a bit of a shock.
Norman Lear just passed away at 101. He was in pretty good health right up to the end. No one is guaranteed anything, but it is possible to still be vital at 70 and beyond. American culture has much more discrimination towards older people than other countries. I sympathize and know what you mean about the loss of friends and colleagues.

Ladd had a great run on Radio. He outlasted most...

Especially when that market-associated talent had a national audience on satellite for so many years -- though it seems that Deep Tracks had so few listeners that SiriusXM felt it could safely be exiled to a channel that many car radios with satellite capacity cannot receive.

In L.A. album rock circles, it's been a kinda grim past few years---Mary Turner at 76 in May, Damion (Bragdon) at 79 in April, Steven Segal (The Obscene Steven Clean) at 76 last November, and Jimmy Rabbitt at 79 in late 2020. And I'm sadly probably missing a few.
…and I was. Dusty Street at 77 in October.

So many so quickly.

Not radio related but age related: Kris Kristofferson's frail appearance during the Willie Nelson tribute (recorded in April, aired last night on CBS) has many country music enthusiasts concerned, especially since Kris cut quite the rugged, athletic figure for years. To see him, at 87, apparently doing worse than Willie, at 90, is definitely a shock. At 68, I still see both as really old, but time indeed waits for no one.

Especially when that market-associated talent had a national audience on satellite for so many years -- though it seems that Deep Tracks had so few listeners that SiriusXM felt it could safely be exiled to a channel that many car radios with satellite capacity cannot receive.
Except that those listeners are very numerous and adamant on SiriusXM's subreddit and Facebook Page that DT be moved back to a channel that's accessible from all SiriusXM Radios. Jim Ladd will be missed. I used to listen to his show on The Mighty Met at night way back when I lived in the LA area decades ago. I read his book Radio Waves which was a comprehensive insight of the rise and fall of AOR.

Radio Waves

I thought the same thing.

In the future, I am going to allow such notices to go in one market if the talent spent their whole career there.

Otherwise, I will close the local market posts and direct to the In Memorium section. I'll depend on other forum participants to let me know when and where they should go.

Norman Lear just passed away at 101. He was in pretty good health right up to the end. No one is guaranteed anything, but it is possible to still be vital at 70 and beyond.
Well beyond. My mother was on the board of the county hospitals in Cleveland, Ohio, until the day she died at age 94.

The L.A. Times obit for Jim Ladd has posted. A bit of information I didn't know---he was living in suburban Sacramento---Carmichael---at the time of his death.

Last edited:
The L.A. Times obit for Jim Ladd has posted. A bit of information I didn't know---he was living in suburban Sacramento---Carmichael---at the time of his death.

I didn't know that either. I lived for there for many years. Ladd may have found the cost of living much more reasonable than LA. The upside of technology lets you broadcast from anywhere...

Jim Ladd was part of an era we will never see again. His connection with his listeners and his passion for the music/lifestyle came through clearly; whether it was The Doors or the hard rock that was a good part of the KMET playlist in the late 70’s/early 80’s.

We lost an icon and a part of youth/idealism with his passing.

How would Jim handle this? With music. Perhaps from Paul Simon:

Time it was
And what a time it was
It was a time of innocence
A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be
I have a photograph
Preserve your memories
They're all that's left you
Almost perfect, except for the one typo. In Ladd's case, it should be "phonograph". (One of my favorite songs, BTW.)

Back
Top Bottom