• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Leave It To Beaver - 1962-63 Season

Does anyone know who the sponsor(s) may have been for the 1962-63 Season of Leave It To Beaver? That was the show's final season on the network. It featured the up-tempo version of the theme song and it had been moved to Thursday nights. Thanks for any information.

(1) According to the Wikipedia piece for the show, citing Jerry Mathers' book as its authority, General Electric and Chrysler sponsored the "later seasons" and "Ward Cleaver was seen driving a Plymouth Fury during the opening credits in the final season."

(2) Also, there is a YouTube video of the closing theme from the last season, and the poster says that Chrysler cars are visible.

Hope that helps a little.

Thank you for the information. Actually, I think Mr. Cleaver drove those Chrysler product cars (the ones with the large fins in the back) in several of the later seaons of the series. In the earlier ones, he had a 1957 Ford.

I know in the early seasons, Leave It To Beaver was sponsored by Ralston-Purina and there were commercials in the shows with Jerry Mathers in them. In at least another season, I believe Remington Rand (typewriters) sponsored the show. I've always wondered about the last season as it was on a new night (Thursday) and the theme song was changed to an up-tempo version.

The Remington Rand was during Season 1 & it's on YouTube. The theme during S1 was shortened for reruns, as we know, but when it mentioned "brought to you by Remington Rand," you hear the rest of the theme during the sponsor plug.

A S4 episode (where Eddie claimed he had a girlfriend, but he was being played for a dope) showed Wally at the drugstore, and GE light bulbs were prominently shown.

Ironic to have Purina as a sponsor at all, as the Cleavers never had a steady pet.

cd

cd637299 said:
Ironic to have Purina as a sponsor at all, as the Cleavers never had a steady pet.cd

One of the Purina commercials featured with-in the program showed Beaver and Larry with a dog. Of course, it's doubtful that Larry would have a dog when you consider how his mother was.

"Larry, take care of this dog or I'll tell your father when he gets back from out of town".

Cincinnati Kid said:
cd637299 said:
Ironic to have Purina as a sponsor at all, as the Cleavers never had a steady pet.cd

One of the Purina commercials featured with-in the program showed Beaver and Larry with a dog. Of course, it's doubtful that Larry would have a dog when you consider how his mother was.

"Larry, take care of this dog or I'll tell your father when he gets back from out of town".

(1) And, as I'm sure you would recall, Larry's father often seemed to be in Cincinnati.

(2) Eddie had a dog in one early episode, and again in the later episode when he moved into his own apartment.

Beaver and Wally were given a dog by Ward at the end of the first episode. The dog was not seen or mentioned again until a later episode when Ward reminded the boys that they had a dog but had to give it up because they weren't taking care of it.

Jerry Mathers said in an interview (On a bonus section of the "Family Affair" DVDs, where they interviewed child stars), that after the last season, he was offered a choice to do another TV sitcom for a lot of money.

He told his parents he would rather just go to high school and play football. His parents told him to be sure as he may never get another chance, and he said he was and that was that.

He also said, while he never made a great deal of money, he had enough to buy a car during high school, another car for college, the show money, paid for his entire college education and he even had enough left over to put a down payment on his first house.

A far cry from what they get today huh?

I wonder if they had some different credits in the last season besides Wally and Beaver chasing each other into the house like showing still photos of Chrysler cars as they did with My Three Sons with Chevrolet and Hazel with Ford.

Mark said:
Jerry Mathers said in an interview (On a bonus section of the "Family Affair" DVDs, where they interviewed child stars), that after the last season, he was offered a choice to do another TV sitcom for a lot of money.

He told his parents he would rather just go to high school and play football. His parents told him to be sure as he may never get another chance, and he said he was and that was that.

He also said, while he never made a great deal of money, he had enough to buy a car during high school, another car for college, the show money, paid for his entire college education and he even had enough left over to put a down payment on his first house.
He also avoided getting killed in Vietnam--even though that urban legend was around for years.

^ And Ken Osmond (Eddie) became an L.A. cop and *coulda* been killed---if not for his bulletproof vest & belt buckle, I understand that he would have died in the line of duty.

cd

MHB said:
Cincinnati Kid said:
cd637299 said:

(1) And, as I'm sure you would recall, Larry's father often seemed to be in Cincinnati.

(2) Eddie had a dog in one early episode, and again in the later episode when he moved into his own apartment.

Beaver and Wally were given a dog by Ward at the end of the first episode. The dog was not seen or mentioned again until a later episode when Ward reminded the boys that they had a dog but had to give it up because they weren't taking care of it.

There was another early episode where Beaver found a Chihuahua named Pancho. Naturally, he grew attached to the dog (and I can sympathize with him, having owned two Chihuahuas myself) and was reluctant to give it up to its rightful owner. IIRC, Ward punished him for holding out on the owner.

Back to the topic: it seemed that the 1962-63 episodes focused more on Wally than on Beaver. Jerry Mathers had become a fat, self-conscious kid headed into his teens; the naturalness of his acting in the early seasons was gone. Joe Connelly and Bob Mosher finally persuaded ABC, which was willing to renew it for a seventh year, that it was time to bring it to an end (much as David Janssen and Quinn Martin persuaded ABC to end "The Fugitive" in 1967, despite continued good ratings).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom