• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Labelling radio stations a certain format

I've noticed that with certain radio stations, it's gotten to the point where you can't really label them a certain format anymore. The 3 that come to mind are Easy 99.1, Ocean 104.7, and Koffee FM. The first one mentioned is in Plymouth and serves the South Shore and Cape Cod, but is heard throughout the Boston area, and the other 2 are strictly Cape Cod stations, but I feel like all of them sound kind of similar. But the thing is, all of them are technically labelled "AC" stations, but I don't think any of them truly are. But it's like I'm not sure I'd call them AC or Classic Hits, because I think most Classic Hits stations tend to play some of the harder stuff such as Twisted Sister and Quiot Riot, and the 3 stations mentioned don't play that stuff.

AC is just a generic term for stations that do not necessarily fall into any particular format these days. The 3 stations mentioned are not owned by the conglomerates. Even Magic 106.7, it is really Adult Contemporary, or is it just what is considered AC today instead?

Magic is more of a typical AC station, though I have noticed they have gone back to their “soft rock” roots a little bit. I’ve noticed they’ve been playing some of their once-most popular hits like “Right Here Waiting” by Richard Marx, “I Can’t Make You Love Me” by Bonnie Raitt, “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” by Elton John, and “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion. I remember when that last song first came out they pretty much played it to death, as did most AC stations at the time, but for a long time I think they tried to shy away from Celine Dion as much as possible. 96-1 SRS and Lite 105 still seem like the more traditional AC stations of today, though I was a bit surprised they stopped calling it “Lite Rock 105” and went back to just calling it “Lite 105” like in the old days.

Magic is more of a typical AC station, though I have noticed they have gone back to their “soft rock” roots a little bit. I’ve noticed they’ve been playing some of their once-most popular hits like “Right Here Waiting” by Richard Marx, “I Can’t Make You Love Me” by Bonnie Raitt, “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” by Elton John, and “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion. I remember when that last song first came out they pretty much played it to death, as did most AC stations at the time, but for a long time I think they tried to shy away from Celine Dion as much as possible. 96-1 SRS and Lite 105 still seem like the more traditional AC stations of today, though I was a bit surprised they stopped calling it “Lite Rock 105” and went back to just calling it “Lite 105” like in the old days.
Yes, but they also play Separate Ways (World's Apart) by Journey also.

Back
Top Bottom