• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

La Hora Exacta clocks out

fredcantu said:
IMER has converted XEQK 1350 in Mexico City from La Hora Exacta to Tropicalisima.

I guess with M$N 12 quartz watches, there was no need for the "all the time all the time" format.

I remember visiting the station in 1963; it was fully automated with the time announce synchronized to the National Observatory and played on carts, and all the commercials on four cart decks... the spots that played every minute, every other minute or every four minutes. 11 spots plus the time every minute.

There is a picture at http://www.davidgleason.com/Mexico-Photos-E.htm showing the clock control part. I never figured out why the minute hands on the two "uncovered" clocks were not synchronized.

This is just so wrong..... That station probably had the longest continous running format in Mexico City. :-\ :'(

Has IMER given any reason why they replaced "Hora Exacta" with a music format? At least the call letters remain XEQK.

In Colombia, some years back, Caracol tried to do away with the Radio Reloj concept, replacing it with something called "Caracol Ciudades". Maybe there was some listener backlash because Radio Reloj came back fairly quickly in the three largest markets (Cali, Bogota and Medellin). ???

In case another station wants to flip to an "all time, all the time"
format, are the call letters XEWWV available? ;)

La Hora Exacta's shortwave simulcast on 9555 kHz had good daytime coverage into most of Texas for many years. The time they gave was never really exact (the top of the minute tones could be +/- 20 seconds off) but close enough for most people's practical needs. The short ads and other chatter were quite interesting! The shortwave transmitter was shut down in the early 90's.

I had thought the AM signal had flipped to something else some years back, and then back to LHE (?)...never was able to get the 1350 signal at any of my Texas locations...just going by listings in the WRTH and other sources.

Wikipedia says they took a try at ''La radio ciudadana'' in 2003 but switched back to La Hora Exacta in 2006.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom