• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KXBX 1270 Lakeport, CA

I just found a ~20 minute aircheck of KXBX 1270 on a broken tape I mended. I apparently recorded it sometime during April 20 of some year, most likely 2004 or 2005, but possibly 2006. In this snippet, KXBX was apparently airing the Music Of Your Life format, if that offers any clues as to year (I thought maybe it was America's Best Music at one point, but now I'm not so sure, as I had completely forgotten about the MOYL period, apparently).

I can provide the digitized file, if anyone is interested (there is a loud 60 Hz buzz, but it's otherwise quite listenable).

c

OK, we couldn't really pin down the date too well, other than determining that it was most likely not 2005 judging by a comment by the announcer.

Does anyone else happen to have airchecks of this station from around the same period, or know where I might find some? Maybe if I can compare, that will offer some more clues?

c

OK, we couldn't really pin down the date too well, other than determining that it was most likely not 2005 judging by a comment by the announcer.

Does anyone else happen to have airchecks of this station from around the same period, or know where I might find some? Maybe if I can compare, that will offer some more clues?

c
I don't want to discourage you, but it's a miracle that YOU bothered to record KXBX. If there's a second or third person, I'll be astonished.

I don't want to discourage you, but it's a miracle that YOU bothered to record KXBX. If there's a second or third person, I'll be astonished.
I'll be astonished if nobody recorded KXBX! I guess with it's fairly small and hyperlocal coverage (especially at night power of 97 watts, coverage is basically limited to incorporated Lakeport) I shouldn't be too surprised by the lack of attention, since it's a fairly obscure station that probably few people outside of the county know about.

I was a big fan of KABL around the time we moved to Lake County (2004) and I had been listening a lot before leaving the Bay Area (KABL's signal was virtually nonexistent in LC), and I was excited that KXBX was, at the time, playing pretty much the same music (that it didn't have any of KABL's unique sound was inconsequential to me, although I did of course miss it, especially when it went off air not long after we moved), so I became an instant fan of it, too, hence the recording. That KXBX is still around at all and still airing a similar musical format (though skewing a bit newer than before) after all these years is amazing in and of itself, as most similar stations have flipped to some kind of talk, sports or ethnic/religious programming years ago (for example, KABL (now KNEW, airing Bloomberg Radio), KFRC-AM (now KEAR, airing a religious format), and most recently, KVIN (now playing Punjabi music), to name a few of my former favorites).

I may have made other recordings of it, but I can't remember if I did, nor can I figure out where in storage my tapes are so I can go look (I know I also have some various other tapes of KFRC-FM and KCCL 101.9 in there somewhere, which I should probably try to preserve).

c

Back
Top Bottom