• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KUMJ-LD 23 is on the air!

KUMJ-LD 23 Beaumont got installed over the weekend..I helped on it and Monday, Tom Diggers, the engineer overseeing it, put it on the air at full licensed power. Only carrying BuzzrTV on 23.5 now. The first 4 channels are under contract and aren't in yet.

Curious were their transmitter is located......
When I lived in the Triangle back in the '70s.....there were 3 TV stations in the BMT/Port Arthur/Orange area ---
KJAC-TV (Channel 4 - NBC), KFDM-TV (Channel 6 - CBS) and KBMT-TV (Channel 12 - ABC).
I worked at KIOC-FM (K106)....we shared block house space with KJAC-TV and had our studios in a trailer under the tower in Vidor (1725 Evangeline Drive......basically a dead-end dirt road!!!).....

KUMJ-LD 23 Beaumont got installed over the weekend..I helped on it and Monday, Tom Diggers, the engineer overseeing it, put it on the air at full licensed power. Only carrying BuzzrTV on 23.5 now. The first 4 channels are under contract and aren't in yet.

What will those four be once in place and ready to go on air?

When I lived in the Triangle back in the '70s.....there were 3 TV stations in the BMT/Port Arthur/Orange area ---
KJAC-TV (Channel 4 - NBC), KFDM-TV (Channel 6 - CBS) and KBMT-TV (Channel 12 - ABC).
I worked at KIOC-FM (K106)....we shared block house space with KJAC-TV and had our studios in a trailer under the tower in Vidor (1725 Evangeline Drive......basically a dead-end dirt road!!!).....
Wasn’t K106 automated for a time using Drake Chenault programming?

Yes......Contempo 300....used an SMC DP-2 automation system that "blew its nose" every time we had a voltage spike or glitch.....which meant having to reprogram the entire system manually (no Teletype ASR 33 paper tape here.....!!)....
BTW.....we were the FIRST station in the Triangle to get the Orban Optimod 8000A --- the boss, not wanting to disclose this to any visiting competition, covered the faceplate with cardboard and labeled it "Whatchamacallit III"!!!

Yes......Contempo 300....used an SMC DP-2 automation system that "blew its nose" every time we had a voltage spike or glitch.....which meant having to reprogram the entire system manually (no Teletype ASR 33 paper tape here.....!!)....
BTW.....we were the FIRST station in the Triangle to get the Orban Optimod 8000A --- the boss, not wanting to disclose this to any visiting competition, covered the faceplate with cardboard and labeled it "Whatchamacallit III"!!!
Mmmmm I seem to recall 97.5 KAYD had an 8000 in the rack long before 106.1 came along...I was DJ at KAYC/KAYD in 77-79...

It's in Vidor on a 600ft rental tower...same site KAOB LD27 (RF32) is on..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom