• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KUHA now in mono

I expanded my horizons at 19 years old, much to the chagrin of my parents, and "brought home one of those Mexicans". You see, my Pop was an old Sicilian, my mother a redneck from Horn Hill, Texas. I had to hear that junk growing up. It's really what drove me to be who I am today. They weren't stupid, it's just that their way of thinking was obsolete. Like our kids think about us, Bruce. It's absolutely unbelievable to my son and his girlfriend that I have no idea what the difference is between Snapchat and Instagram, and I still don't understand why in God's green earth they argue with one another because one of them didn't like a picture from the other in a timely manner.

Huh?

Hell to get old, Bruce. Anyway, so yeah, now you know exactly why I honed in on you when you went on those diatribes about the "foreign" music that needed to go back to Mexico and take its listeners with it. After that I started paying close attention to your contributions. That's why I call you a troll. You've been saying the same thing over and over and over again for the better part of the last dozen years. We all know the limitations of HD radio. Most of us realize, that yeah you are correct that the technology isn't what it should be currently, but do you really need to make the same points time and time again? I could live with even that, but then the "opinionation" portion of your posts always wraps it up with an "obviously they don't care" speech. Obviously, they do or they wouldn't keep getting a paycheck for long.

A meal, huh? I'd guess panaderias, pupuserias, cantinas and taquerias are all out of the question...lol. To quote my wife, "It's not a no, it's just a not right now."

No - I don't usually get excited about "Mexican" music on the radio, but I like the stuff on 780 and 620 - weak though they are. But - I've been told those formats are only for old people. So be it. I'm AM old, nothing wrong with that. But those are REAL Mexican stations - actually from Mexico, not some Americanized stuff they play around here.

I am friends with persons who come from Mexico, both legally and illegally - although the one I know best who was here illegally just went through the effort to make his residency legal. He is one of the few men I respect, and I did when he was illegal. His daughter lived with us for 5 months while she started a new life here. She is still one of our best friends, and calls us mom and dad. Love for you to meet them some time! Or my granddaughter's father, one of the finest men I've ever met. We are helping the young couple to the tune of 2000 to 3000 a month. Of course, there are fathers out there who would be angry that an "unemployed Mexican" impregnated their daughter. Just spent time with him last night - great guy. And your ideas for food sound - YUM! Because I've eaten at Hispanic's homes often, and the cuisine is amazing.

See? More in common than you thought! I'll leave deportings to Donald Trump. Personally I'd rather have millions of persons from Mexico than one ISIS from Syria. Most of the ones I meet are hard working, have good work ethic, and pay taxes. Doesn't mean I want to learn Spanish, I don't have a need. When I need it, Latin gets me half way there, along with a dozen other languages. Doesn't mean I want to hear local Spanish language radio, just doesn't interest me. The music is not a style I like.

No - I don't usually get excited about "Mexican" music on the radio, but I like the stuff on 780 and 620 - weak though they are. But - I've been told those formats are only for old people. So be it. I'm AM old, nothing wrong with that. But those are REAL Mexican stations - actually from Mexico, not some Americanized stuff they play around here.

What's on 780 and 620?

What's on 780 and 620?

620 - XEGH Rio Bravo - a pretty good signal if you can null KILT. KSLR isn't an issue above it. I think they recently upgraded their signal because it is much clearer now.
780 - XEDMA Monclova - much weaker but a lot better than KAAM below it. Of course you have to null KBME.

I am far enough West I don't have to null, both are pretty good in the car.

There is a 580 - XEMU Piedras Negras, but for some reason it is much weaker than it used to be. Of course XEFD 590 has been discussed before - mainly for its effect on KLBJ.

One time - I took my CCrane radio out by the pool when the landscapers were there, some of them Hispanic. When I listened to 780 for a while, I got two inquiries about my radio in broken English - I think I sold a couple of radios for CCrane that day!

Your mileage may very, mrtejano. 620, where we are in town, is a tough tough catch. I mean, you and me are pretty close to KILT's array. 780 is similar, because of the close proximity to KBME one channel up, but it does fare better than 620. 940 is another one that's available, and we're both far enough away from KPRC to pick that one up regularly.

Edit to add: Bruce has the advantage of being quite a ways out west of Houston, minimizing a bit of the interference issues you and I typically have just north of downtown.

Last edited:
Your mileage may very, mrtejano. 620, where we are in town, is a tough tough catch. I mean, you and me are pretty close to KILT's array. 780 is similar, because of the close proximity to KBME one channel up, but it does fare better than 620. 940 is another one that's available, and we're both far enough away from KPRC to pick that one up regularly.

Edit to add: Bruce has the advantage of being quite a ways out west of Houston, minimizing a bit of the interference issues you and I typically have just north of downtown.

Those arrays are pretty impressive - I used to work out that way. Just a few miles apart on BW8. I was VERY impressed by KILT coverage in the late 70's. They were a reliable daytime catch in Lubbock, mixing with the 610 from Albuquerque. But KILT was dominant. Not a trace up there of KTRH, of course 790 is covered up there by a local regional blowtorch.

Back to KUHA: So no one gets any wrong ideas, the station is off the air for maintenance as of a little past 10pm Tuesday evening. They made on-air announcements earlier in the evening about this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom