• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KUBE Becomes SportsRadio 93-3 KJR-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incorrect. 102.9 was Q Country at the time of the simulcast, 104.9 had just flipped to The Brew from GenX (and prior to that, Funky Monkey).
My bad. The reference to 102.7 threw me. The simulcast was indeed with 102.9 FM, from 2011 to 2013.

Regarding the 950/1090 question, 1090 KJR has some Fox Sports Radio, but it is mostly a mishmash of syndicated sports talk (Dan Patrick et al) and CBS Sports Radio, a legacy from its previous owner. IHeart can keep that on 1090, and the new KJR-AM would have all the FSR content plus any live-sports conflicts, such as between the Kraken and UW.

The move to FM is a long-term game changer for the KJR Sports radio brand. It will draw new ears to the station and positions iHM to secure (more) play by play rights once existing agreements expire.

If and when the Kraken become a good team, there will be a ratings surge that will be greater than what would've been possible as an AM only station.

1090 to become ANOTHER (insert eye-roll) Conservative talker.
Ironic given 1090 was one of the first to carry Air America when it launched .... and the long-history in the KING days of the company being considerably left-leaning.

OOPS....didn't mean to bring up radio history.
I know it pisses some people off.

1090 to become ANOTHER (insert eye-roll) Conservative talker.
Ironic given 1090 was one of the first to carry Air America when it launched .... and the long-history in the KING days of the company being considerably left-leaning.
Okay, and you should know this: What was the format immediately after music?

T40 --> Soft Rock and then a couple iterations of talk and all-news. I think news was first and then the round with JMKenyon, and then Pat Cashman et al. Music "fell", as I recall, in 1981 or 1982 as I was @ Corporate group then.

T40 --> Soft Rock and then a couple iterations of talk and all-news. I think news was first and then the round with JMKenyon, and then Pat Cashman et al. Music "fell", as I recall, in 1981 or 1982 as I was @ Corporate group then.
Hint: News, but what was the network?

"AP Network News...I'm" (can't remember the anchor names). Joe Cooper, Dave Christianson (sp), and I were in the control room playing the last selection of music on KING 1090 via a turntable. The song was: (These Are The) 'Moments To Remember' by the Four Lads.

I left in July ‘81. Apparently at about the right time! Took a job at KDES in Palm Springs but missed Seattle, came back and scored a gig at 95.7 KIXI Lite (Wally Nelskog’s Seattle FM) which in turn became KLTX in '86, KJR-FM in '94, KMBX in '00, KBTB in '01, and back to KJR-FM in '02. Just a little Seattle radio history for the young 'uns.

Last edited:
While the obvious move for 93.3 was to become a sports station and Radio Insight reports KJR-FM will have new calls KJEB or something to that effect and the KJR-FM calls will go to 93.3. As for 950AM I-Heart has the perfect opportunity to have a news/conservative talk station to clear their Premiere shows. Their pattern is to go with a local talent/shift and then clear Premiere talk shows rest of the day. Leave 1090 Fox Sports. It is not a ratings play, nor was sports on the FM, but a play for Seattle clearance of product and spots plus combo selling spoken word with sports. No brainer. KTTH is weak now that Rush is gone and KVI hardly shows up in ratings at a 0.3 in the last book after not being rated for a year. At some point 710 will need to migrate to a full market FM as will KNWN, just to get younger listeners. Got in a rental car the other day, no AM.

Just a guess on 950 AM. Seems smarter than simulcast sports, Fox Sports or BIN.

While the obvious move for 93.3 was to become a sports station and Radio Insight reports KJR-FM will have new calls KJEB or something to that effect and the KJR-FM calls will go to 93.3. As for 950AM I-Heart has the perfect opportunity to have a news/conservative talk station to clear their Premiere shows. Their pattern is to go with a local talent/shift and then clear Premiere talk shows rest of the day. Leave 1090 Fox Sports. It is not a ratings play, nor was sports on the FM, but a play for Seattle clearance of product and spots plus combo selling spoken word with sports. No brainer. KTTH is weak now that Rush is gone and KVI hardly shows up in ratings at a 0.3 in the last book after not being rated for a year. At some point 710 will need to migrate to a full market FM as will KNWN, just to get younger listeners. Got in a rental car the other day, no AM.

Just a guess on 950 AM. Seems smarter than simulcast sports, Fox Sports or BIN.
Unless it's all behind a paywall, RadioInsight hasn't reported anything further on Seattle since the big launch.

Was listening to the Ian Furness show yesterday (end of the MLB lockout), and the on-air personnel there seemed to think that the AM will stay sports -- "more national stuff" in their words. That backs up a guess that KJR-AM becomes the new Fox Sports 950.

Was listening to the Ian Furness show yesterday (end of the MLB lockout), and the on-air personnel there seemed to think that the AM will stay sports -- "more national stuff" in their words. That backs up a guess that KJR-AM becomes the new Fox Sports 950.

So perhaps move the 1090 syndicated sports to 950, which frees up 1090 for syndicated talk.

I left in July ‘81. Apparently at about the right time! Took a job at KDES in Palm Springs but missed Seattle,
When summer in The Desert arrives, lots of people start remembering very fondly any other place in the country.

Already posted above the game plan (as announced by i/Heart internally)
93.3 = Local Sports
950 = national sports
1090 = conservative talk ("the Patriot")

Already posted above the game plan (as announced by i/Heart internally)
93.3 = Local Sports
950 = national sports
1090 = conservative talk ("the Patriot")
That sounds reasonable, but another frickin' conservative talk? Bleh... We've got KTTH, KVI, and KLFE/KKOL for a very liberal city.

950 being Fox Sports in Seattle huh? Sounds like some other 700,000 population/big skyscrapers/macho traffic/hippie city that I know...
Is the Emerald City taking after Denver?

950 being Fox Sports in Seattle huh? Sounds like some other 700,000 population/big skyscrapers/macho traffic/hippie city that I know...
Is the Emerald City taking after Denver?
... except that in radio we talk about metro areas, not the political constructs of cities.

The Seattle Metro Survey area has 4.7 million and Denver has 3.3 million total people. That is the basis for market rank, not just the "center city".

That sounds reasonable, but another frickin' conservative talk? Bleh... We've got KTTH, KVI, and KLFE/KKOL for a very liberal city.
It seems awfully late in the game to start another Talk station! The format's days are limited at best, probably even on FM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom