• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KTTF article in Houston Chronicle

It is nice to see KTTF venture in to some unique qualities that are purely Tomball. I hate to come across as a negative person but I have seen such a push being made in the past. For most there is not a focus on reaching potential listeners but rather a focus on just doing local. What usually happens is there's a bunch of long form local programming very, very few will ever listen to. Mostly this happens when people with no radio programming experience are running things and generally not realizing some of the ideas thrown out there by some they talk to wouldn't even listen if you did what they suggested.

Early on in my radio career I was told a good rule of thumb was the 10% rule. If you felt you needed to do something 10 times, do it once instead. As this applies to programming, you could compare it to cooking. What you want your dish to be is one that almost everyone enjoys. The local or unique qualities are the spices you add to the popular dish to make it yours. So, in radio programming, you start with a popular format for the community and add spices or local flavor to make it uniquely local. In other words you don't create a whole new dish but rather add your 'personality' to the already popular format.

For Tomball to achieve a goal of people knowing and checking in on the station, hopefully gaining a percentage of locals listening, your base has to be a popular format with little elements added to it that are exclusively Tomball. But instead of doing special programs, you do short features, mostly a minute or so, to season the format. People simply are not going to stay put through reading a children's book on the air if you are a music based station nor are they going to listen to lots of bands that have played in Tomball. Start by visiting businesses to see what they are listening to. Ask people in the community what they listen to. Then you build a format most will at least can tolerate and then spice it up with very short Tomball features. If you don't, you'll have a radio station people might hear about once, then forget about and when you need them to be listening during an emergency, nobody will think to tune in.

I also urge them not to go Jack FM on steroids: aka Hank Williams Sr. followed by Bon Jovi, Whitney Houston and Benny Goodman. You'd be amazed how many LPFMs have tried this. All of these artists might be in one person's music collection but they don't just mix them up but rather choose the genre by mood. That doesn't mean you can't have a playlist that is not true variety, just don't go to extremes.

It is nice to see KTTF venture in to some unique qualities that are purely Tomball. I hate to come across as a negative person but I have seen such a push being made in the past. For most there is not a focus on reaching potential listeners but rather a focus on just doing local. What usually happens is there's a bunch of long form local programming very, very few will ever listen to. Mostly this happens when people with no radio programming experience are running things and generally not realizing some of the ideas thrown out there by some they talk to wouldn't even listen if you did what they suggested.

Your comments bring to mind a previous effort to bring local radio to Tomball over 30 years ago. Anyone remember KTBT 700 which launched in 1987? Locally owned and programmed by people who barely knew what they were doing. It was a musical trainwreck as well as a financial flop, lasting only a year. The original 24/7 schedule was trimmed to around 16 hours a day, then weekends were eliminated, then it was pretty much daytime only, before finally going off the air completely.

KTBT was sold and relaunched as KSEV initially with an all-business news format (the syndicated BRN) which was replaced with syndicated talk. KSEV was the original Houston outlet for Rush Limbaugh. The station got a major daytime power upgrade in 1991, going from 2.5 to 15kw (nights have remained at 1kw.)

The City of Conroe is another Houston-area municipality with its own radio outlet, programming a simulcast on KZCW 104.5 and KZCC 106.1.

Edit to add: Ignore the Radio-Locator.com info that has KTTF operating with “0.05 watt.” The FCC database for KTTF is somewhat mangled, thus producing derived errors. Appears the real power is 52 watts as listed on fccdata.org, which seems correct given the antenna height. The signal gets out about 10-12 miles.

Last edited:
IMostly this happens when people with no radio programming experience are running things and generally not realizing some of the ideas thrown out there by some they talk to wouldn't even listen if you did what they suggested.

Everybody likes the idea of community radio.

Nobody likes to listen to it if what's on the air only appeals to the 5 volunteers standing in the studio during the show.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom