• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KS95’s processing

Is it just me or can others not stand KS95’s processing as well? Every time I tune in it sounds so awful I tune out within a matter of seconds. Nothing against the station or anything, but I just don’t like that muddy, overcompressed sound they have. When comparing it to, say, 97.1 or 101.3, both stations sound like they have much more dynamic range, whereas 94.5 seems very low-end focused with not much dynamic range. I’ve asked a few other people who aren’t in the industry about 94.5’s sound, and I’ve gotten responses like “yeah, they sound pretty tinny” or “yeah, 97.1 sounds better in comparison.” But they continue to listen because they like the music and personalities and that’s because the average listener couldn’t care less about sound quality… But why do the engineers settle for not great when it could be so much better? Are they afraid they will lose their good ratings by changing their sound to be, well….uh, more normal? Let me know what you guys think and if you feel the same way.

In most cases, (if not all) the engineer does not have the final say in the audio processing.
It's either the PD or OM who wants it the loudest thing on earth.
KS does have the worst processing setup. I'm guessing the PD/OM just want it turned to 11 because it's better than 10.

In most cases, (if not all) the engineer does not have the final say in the audio processing.
KS does have the worst processing setup. I'm guessing the PD/OM just want it turned to 11 because it's better than 10.
Here’s the thing though, it’s not as loud sounding as say 101.3 or 97.1, it’s close but still slightly lower SEEMING. Or maybe it’s the overcompression making it seem like that? Idk. All I know is it sounds like s##t and sounds pretty embarrassing especially for a major market station. But I’m sure the PD/OM won't consider making any changes, (if in fact they get a say as to how processing is set) considering the fact they are almost always #1. And I guess if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it...even if it sounds like complete s##t.

Off topic slightly, but I know KS95 uses Zetta for automation, and I thought I heard Zetta might've had an optional built in compressor... Maybe that was accidentally enabled? Idk.

Here’s the thing though, it’s not as loud sounding as say 101.3 or 97.1, it’s close but still slightly lower SEEMING. Or maybe it’s the overcompression making it seem like that? Idk. All I know is it sounds like s##t and sounds pretty embarrassing especially for a major market station. But I’m sure the PD/OM won't consider making any changes, (if in fact they get a say as to how processing is set) considering the fact they are almost always #1. And I guess if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it...even if it sounds like complete s##t.

Off topic slightly, but I know KS95 uses Zetta for automation, and I thought I heard Zetta might've had an optional built in compressor... Maybe that was accidentally enabled? Idk.
I would be the PD/OM make the final call on the station's audio sound, an engineer would not want it to sound like that.

In most cases, the processing is now one of the format specific presets on the Telos or Optimod processors.

If adjustments are made, it is going to be the programming department along with engineering.
When I was responsible for audio settings, I'd have a variety of radios at the station... including car radios with A/C converters... and gather both men and women to listen to a variety of songs over a period of time.
Or we have what is all too common in radio today which is IT focused technicians trying to do audio processing and RF.

I would be the PD/OM make the final call on the station's audio sound, an engineer would not want it to sound like that.
To start with, any male engineer over 45 to 50 should not be allowed to adjust the audio without a "panel" of other station people giving guidance.

Keep in mind that stations use two basic kinds of processing... AGC to get basic level control at the studio end before the link to the transmitter and Peak Limiting / Compression at the transmitter to reduce the dynamic range for a consistent and louder sound and to prevent overmodulation.

In most cases, the processing is now one of the format specific presets on the Telos or Optimod processors.

If adjustments are made, it is going to be the programming department along with engineering.

When I was responsible for audio settings, I'd have a variety of radios at the station... including car radios with A/C converters... and gather both men and women to listen to a variety of songs over a period of time.

Or we have what is all too common in radio today which is IT focused technicians trying to do audio processing and RF.
If you heard KS95's processing, you'd agree they are crunching it way too much. I agree if any changes are made, it's a small and left alone for many days to see if it's acceptable with the programming.

Slightly off-topic but did KQRS’ processing change? I don’t ever recall them ever sounding as crunchy/clipped before as they do now.

One of the previous engineers has returned, and he made the changes. Not sure if it was him alone or with the OM.
Who’s the engineer, just curious?

If anyone from Cumulus happens to read this, I’d recommend backing off the processing, (especially the clipping section). It’s very squashy right now. Looking at my MPX tool mod monitor I’m showing 105-110% (I can tell some of my radios are getting a bit overloaded, don't know if any of it has to do with modulation or not) for KQRS, I’d bring that down to 95/100 and back off if not completely turn off any composite clipping. In todays day and age, there’s literally NO NEED to be the loudest station on the dial. Literally no listener will change the station because it isn’t loud enough. Let your audio breathe, you may come to find that having the most depth/fidelity might actually attract more listeners versus smashing it into oblivion.

Mike O., again I don't know if he made the decision or someone else, just noticed the change when he was back.

Plus, I agree with your statements, the loudness wars are a thing of the past.
You don't need to be KSJN processing, but you don't need to be the loudest.

Mike O., again I don't know if he made the decision or someone else, just noticed the change when he was back.

Plus, I agree with your statements, the loudness wars are a thing of the past.
You don't need to be KSJN processing, but you don't need to be the loudest.
You hit the nail on the head right here! More engineers NEED to hear and actually listen to this!

Wow I just tuned in and it sounds SO bad.

In fact, a lot of the twin cities stations sound bad. The processing is very inconsistent. Some are too quiet. Others are over processed. Some have WAY too much gain.

Shout out to Minnesota Public Radio - all of their stations sound well engineered.

Is KNOW broadcasting in stereo now? When did that start??

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom