• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KRTH playing "Feliz Navidad"

Considering the direction KRTH has been heading of late (music of the 80's, 90's and 00's), I find it interesting that they would dig up a true Christmas gem from 1970 with Jose Feliciano. It's being played sporadically, not as often as some of their 80's holiday selections and Mariah Carey, but it's there. As we get closer to Christmas, maybe they'll integrate more classics as the appeal for older Christmas music is out there. Even Brenda Lee's 1958 gem "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" is charting top ten on Billboard every year. Hopefully KRTH will follow through and reflect a nationwide trend with older Christmas tunes being added.

Considering the direction KRTH has been heading of late (music of the 80's, 90's and 00's), I find it interesting that they would dig up a true Christmas gem from 1970 with Jose Feliciano. It's being played sporadically, not as often as some of their 80's holiday selections and Mariah Carey, but it's there. As we get closer to Christmas, maybe they'll integrate more classics as the appeal for older Christmas music is out there. Even Brenda Lee's 1958 gem "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" is charting top ten on Billboard every year. Hopefully KRTH will follow through and reflect a nationwide trend with older Christmas tunes being added.

Im not surprised.. id play Jose's original Feliz navidad song on any station with a christmas format. Some more or less than others, but its one of those.. you just have to play now and then

We play it at KLMI in WY, and I will be playing it here in AK at KSKO

Considering the direction KRTH has been heading of late (music of the 80's, 90's and 00's), I find it interesting that they would dig up a true Christmas gem from 1970 with Jose Feliciano.

What happens during Christmas has nothing to do with the regular format. Christmas is it's own thing. That particular song is one of the best testing Christmas songs, and is therefore in the Top 10 of the most played Christmas songs. It's not only played by KRTH, but also KKGO as part of their Christmas format.

You mention Brenda Lee, and that song is consistently among the most played Christmas songs as well, and this year marks its 65th anniversary.

What happens during Christmas has nothing to do with the regular format. Christmas is it's own thing. That particular song is one of the best testing Christmas songs, and is therefore in the Top 10 of the most played Christmas songs. It's not only played by KRTH, but also KKGO as part of their Christmas format.

You mention Brenda Lee, and that song is consistently among the most played Christmas songs as well, and this year marks its 65th anniversary.
Then, do you expect KRTH will play those popular and recurring Christmas classics....ie...Brenda Lee, Andy Williams, Bobby Helms...etc... as we get closer to the holiday?

Then, do you expect KRTH will play those popular and recurring Christmas classics....ie...Brenda Lee, Andy Williams, Bobby Helms...etc... as we get closer to the holiday?

From what I can see, they're playing one Christmas song an hour. Most of them are by artists they normally play.

Andy Williams is #1 at KOST right now, getting 35 spins a week. Jose Feliciano is #4. There's really no need for KRTH to duplicate what's already being done. But if they want to throw in a 80 year old song on Christmas eve it's no big deal.

Feliz navidad is fine but I was waiting forever for kost to play the waitresses Christmas wrapping which I have heard before n previous years. Haven't heard it this year till THE SOCAL SOUND 88.5 played it today. Great song.

Oh good lord. Stations all across the country that don’t touch the artists and eras they play at Christmastime alongside some of their core artists who do have seasonal recordings.

Does the constant dwelling on one station ever get tiring?
I still enjoy having a 24/7 Christmas station even though the playlist is limited but I get it.

From what I can see, they're playing one Christmas song an hour. Most of them are by artists they normally play.

Andy Williams is #1 at KOST right now, getting 35 spins a week. Jose Feliciano is #4. There's really no need for KRTH to duplicate what's already being done. But if they want to throw in a 80 year old song on Christmas eve it's no big deal.
Where is Alvin and the Chipmunks?

Roadkill on the 405.
We can use AI to do a remake of Loudon Wainright Jr's song as "Dead Chipmunk in the Middle of the Road".

...because, as we all know, following nationwide trends is a sure key to success in L.A. radio and KRTH needs some guidance.
Big A summed it up well in posts 3 and 6. In other words, playing Christmas songs that are older, even if they are popular on national charts won’t hurt them, in this time period, especially Christmas Eve..

It’s icing on the cake to an already successful L.A. station.

Big A summed it up well in posts 3 and 6. In other words, playing Christmas songs that are older, even if they are popular on national charts won’t hurt them, in this time period, especially Christmas Eve..

Except it's already being done at KOST and KKGO. Meanwhile there are lots of other Christmas songs that better fit their format.

They're running a contest they call "12 Days Of Depeche Mas" to win tickets to Depeche Mode

Back
Top Bottom