• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KRLD to FM?

I know we’ve debated this, but what would make the most sense for 1080 KRLD on an FM simulcast? 100.3?. I’m not sure how the ratings are, (although those listeners would redirect to 98.7 the Spot)

107.5? I’m not sure how they’re billing these days., but I’m pretty sure KLNO is beating them in the Spanish language ratings?

I’m just throwing around ideas, but feel free to chime in.

I don’t see it happening any time soon, but I think that Jack and The Spot will eventually be combined. La Grande could then move to the stronger 100.3 signal and become more competitive. KRLD could then move to 107.5.

KRLD wouldn’t need a full Class C to be competitive, just enough to cover the metro. KRLD is well established. A new competitor is unlikely as all-news upstarts haven’t been that successful. But even if a competitor were to arise on a superior signal, KRLD has the upper hand with its heritage.

The KRLD-FM calls may move to whichever FM KRLD migrates to. The calls are the branding. So it makes sense to move them with the KRLD simulcast. Besides the hourly ID could be a clean KRLD AM and FM Dallas/Fort Worth, depending on where they move. The Fan would then get new calls.

Another possibility is KRLD moves to 103.7, killing off Alt. That would be a sad day. Audacy got rid of Alt in New York. So it’s not beyond them to do it.

this may be a controversial opinion but im going to say it. if 107.5 isnt billing or anything. it makes me wonder if they will ever turn the license in since it is only 16,000 watts. (i know i doubt they will). it would allow 107.3 in sherman to upgrade its power and move its transmitter southwestward. one can only hope.

But its full class C1 which is like 981 feet @100kw. I know the signal struggles as you head toward Denton but it still covers a lot of the market population. Obviously not like the big Class Cs from cedar Hill but this allows 107.9 from Lewisville also a full C1 to also Exist in the market. Audacy would never turn in 107.5 EMF would buy it or somebody.

107.5 is not a bad billing station. It's tied for #17 in the December ratings. That makes it the second-highest Spanish language station in Dallas. So when an advertiser buys time on Dallas-area Spanish-language stations, KMVK is very much part of it.

KJKK may not bill quite as well. But it has so little overhead as Jack-FM station, no multi-person morning show, no music director, no DJs most of the time except for someone named JT.

Audacy knows it will need an FM simulcast for KRLD 1080 soon. It's a spoken-word station with decades in its market and very good billing. But Audacy doesn't have a bad-performing FM in Dallas. So which FM do you sacrifice?

Audacy knows it will need an FM simulcast for KRLD 1080 soon. It's a spoken-word station with decades in its market and very good billing. But Audacy doesn't have a bad-performing FM in Dallas. So which FM do you sacrifice?

My take on this is the big radio groups were all hoping for some loosening of the ownership rules that would allow them to buy one more FM in the major markets. iHeart has hit that barrier in LA and they'll need an FM for KFI. They also have no weak stations there. Last week, the FCC released its long-delayed 2018 ownership rules, and it reiterated that radio rules would remain where they've been for over 25 years.

this may be a controversial opinion but im going to say it. if 107.5 isnt billing or anything. it makes me wonder if they will ever turn the license in since it is only 16,000 watts. (i know i doubt they will). it would allow 107.3 in sherman to upgrade its power and move its transmitter southwestward. one can only hope.

Not a chance. You're more likely to hit the lottery than 107.5 is to be surrendered. The reason so many Sherman-Denison stations moved into DFW in the first place was because they could make more in a couple months in DFW, even with terrible ratings, than they could in a year in Sherman-Denison as the top station in the market. Also, 107.5 isn’t the only property keeping 107.3 in Sherman from upgrading. It came into the picture late, and it has two 107.1’s and a 107.7 nearby. Third-adjacent stations must also be afforded protection. So, it would have to contend with 107.9, too. 107.5 serves the population in its coverage area quite well as is. If the population continues shifting north, it's still running a format that should remain viable inside its primary signal contour for the foreseeable future.

KJKK may not bill quite as well. But it has so little overhead as Jack-FM station, no multi-person morning show, no music director, no DJs most of the time except for someone named JT.

Not sure if it's still the case, but, pre-COVID, Jack had the highest margin in that cluster. Its operating costs were low, and it outbilled every other music station in the cluster. At some point, the playlists of 98.7 and 100.3 might overlap too much for both to be sustainable, but that wouldn't seem to be present day reality.

But does 1080 KRLD have the programming to be relevant for a 24 hour simulcast? I think they should move 1080 KRLD to 103.7, and add some of the alternative songs to JACK’s rotation, but also keeping ALT on HD2, and the audacy app.

I think they should move 1080 KRLD to 103.7, and add some of the alternative songs to JACK’s rotation, but also keeping ALT on HD2, and the audacy app.

Blowing up any of their FM music stations will cost them money. The question isn't which format is the weakest, it's which source of revenue they want to shut off. Because moving an AM format to FM won't bring in more money because it's now on FM. It just saves them the expense of the additional format. KLIF had gotten to the point where the revenues were just about equal to the expenses. Audacy doesn't have a station like that.

I think with Audacy’s upcoming bankruptcy, we probably won’t see KRLD on FM (besides HD subchannels) anytime soon. For those who might be unaware, it’s on 98.7 HD2, 100.3 HD2 and 105.3 HD2.

However, I wish they’d just realign the subchannels. Maybe like this:

98.7 HD2 - Channel Q
100.3 HD2 - 1080 KRLD
103.7 HD2 - The Oasis
105.3 HD2 - The Bet
105.3 HD3 - CBS Sports Radio (24/7 feed)
107.5 HD2 - Fierro HD

Back
Top Bottom