• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KQV to go off air after Dec 31

It's a shame they could not find a stick near the center of town someplace which
could provide better coverage for the city proper.

WKHB has some strange authorization where they step down from 5500 watts to 50
in stages (500w for a time, 200 or so for a bit, etc.). That might be the genesis for this question.

At an AM daytimer I worked when there were Pre-sunrise and Post-Sunset Authorities,the power levels changed as frequently as each 15 minutes and those times changed each month of the year depending on sunrise and sunset times.

At an AM daytimer I worked when there were Pre-sunrise and Post-Sunset Authorities,the power levels changed as frequently as each 15 minutes and those times changed each month of the year depending on sunrise and sunset times.
True, at WZUM 1590 Carnegie they had a 500 watt PSA
In the late 80's they were Authorized night service with 12 watts but kept the 500 watt PSA.
My Question since KQV is Going from a Class B to Class D License. Can they get a PSA and PSSA at a higher Power than 75 watts. Just like WKHB did.

WKHB has some strange authorization where they step down from 5500 watts to 50
in stages (500w for a time, 200 or so for a bit, etc.). That might be the genesis for this question.
I can't find any evidence for WKHB having "some strange authorization". They are licensed for 5500 watts daytime and 50 watts nighttime. They do not have Critical Hours or any other intermediate power level authorized.

Clarke Ingram had answered a previous question I posted about WKHB, and basically said
that what I have heard about the stepping power is true. He should know.

I can kind of tell anyway because after sunset I can listen to the AM at my house for an hour or two comfortably.
By 10PM it's pretty bad.

Clarke Ingram had answered a previous question I posted about WKHB, and basically said
that what I have heard about the stepping power is true. He should know.

I can kind of tell anyway because after sunset I can listen to the AM at my house for an hour or two comfortably.
By 10PM it's pretty bad.

At sunset, KHB does indeed drop power in stages. The precise power levels and times vary by month and exact sunset time, but it takes them two hours to reach 50 watts. I have no reason to think that this has changed. (Nor are they the only station in town to to do so; 1080 had, and may still have, a series of power steps in the early morning that would blow your mind.)

And have you seen this?

BROADCAST COMMUNICATIONS, INC. is assigning the license of the revived KQV-A/PITTSBURGH to a non-profit, BROADCAST EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS, INC., with the same owners (ROBERT and ASHLEY STEVENS), converting the license to non-commercial educational (NCE) status.

C.

Wow, noncommercial? That doesn't fit BCI's M.O. in any way, shape or form.

I wonder what's up?

They have a NCE FM licensed to Murrysville (WKGO 88.1) which runs an easy-listening format. Don't know what they have in mind for KQV, but Bob doesn't make a move like this one without a good reason. I still have an affection for these stations, despite no longer being there, and I hope they do something which does KQV's legacy justice.

C.

They have a NCE FM licensed to Murrysville (WKGO 88.1) which runs an easy-listening format. Don't know what they have in mind for KQV, but Bob doesn't make a move like this one without a good reason. I still have an affection for these stations, despite no longer being there, and I hope they do something which does KQV's legacy justice.

C.

See Tom Taylor's "Radio Now" story from today (7th article from top of page):
https://mailchi.mp/tomtaylornow/tom-taylor-now-124653?e=718fdca701

I hope that easy listening isn't the final format. It would be a waste. Maybe he just wants to get it on the air first, to keep it alive, then put something more meaningful on the air after

I hope that easy listening isn't the final format. It would be a waste. Maybe he just wants to get it on the air first, to keep it alive, then put something more meaningful on the air after

Since all news is not economically feasible, what sort of format would you consider "more meaningful" than easy listening music?

inorm99 said:
Maybe he just wants to get it on the air first, to keep it alive, then put something more meaningful on the air after.

That's entirely possible.

CTListener said:
Since all news is not economically feasible, what sort of format would you consider "more meaningful" than easy listening music?

I have specific thoughts on this, but some of you can probably guess what they are. If Bob still wants my opinions or assistance, I'm sure he'll call.

From an audience standpoint, there aren't enough listeners living to support an easy-listening station, and surely not on the AM dial (as Renda found out with WIXZ over 40 years ago). But if it's going to be a not-for-profit, anything is possible. Ratings aren't necessarily the object in this case.

C.

Then again, once you become a not-for profit, it opens your station for a lot of news/talk content from the public radio world. No?

That's entirely possible.

I have specific thoughts on this, but some of you can probably guess what they are. If Bob still wants my opinions or assistance, I'm sure he'll call.

From an audience standpoint, there aren't enough listeners living to support an easy-listening station, and surely not on the AM dial (as Renda found out with WIXZ over 40 years ago). But if it's going to be a not-for-profit, anything is possible. Ratings aren't necessarily the object in this case.

C.

They could rebroadcast WZUM on both 1410 & 88.1 and make it the Pittsburgh jazz Channel East. Of course I don't know what money they would be in that.

They could rebroadcast WZUM on both 1410 & 88.1 and make it the Pittsburgh jazz Channel East. Of course I don't know what money they would be in that.

Anything is possible, but some things are more likely than others. I don't think this is very likely.

C.

Not at all likely.

WZUM/PPM is a fully qualified 501(c)(3) IRS registered charity. Donations to their service cannot be taken by another service by law. An LMA is possible but the FCC hates non-comm LMA's. WZUM's service is a national service delivered via NPR satellite 24/7 and could be used and customized but it ain't free or cheap.

Then again, once you become a not-for profit, it opens your station for a lot of news/talk content from the public radio world. No?

Well, he's already running that thing on WKHB early evenings from "American Private Radio".
I don't know much about those guys but perhaps he's struck a deal for more content.

Well, he's already running that thing on WKHB early evenings from "American Private Radio".
I don't know much about those guys but perhaps he's struck a deal for more content.

Interesting...I did a search and they're based in Oxford MS. Found no details on their shows.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom