• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kost christmas will it start early like kez in phoenix?

Iheart sister station in phoenix KEZ is gonna start christmas music nov 6 to coincide with the start of the book? They are promoting it on there websight.

Yall think kost will start it that early also???

Last year, they flipped on November 9th, and they announced it a week in advance. I imagine this year it will begin on the 8th, and the announcement will come on 11/1.

As long as it's not the Chuck Berry song from 1972. Either way, too early for Christmas music. After Thanksgiving, then OK.

And that is your opinion.

Both stations know exactly when to do this. They have been doing it for decades. In fact, the "Christmas format" was first done at KEZ back in the 90's under GM Jerry Ryan.

They know what their listeners and advertisers want and they know when to start it.

No one's forcing you to listen.

And Christmas music played 24/7 before Thanksgiving, is too early, whether I listen or not. Do you listen to it? Very few do. I can understand a Christmas song inserted once or twice an hour, but constantly, yeah. Maybe radio should play spooky themed songs in July.

Like I've always said, once Santa stops at Macy's Thanksgiving morning, game on!

No, I was not referring to Chuck Berry's only #1 hit from 1972, I was referring to the great Ronettes' version of "Sleigh Ride" which KOST (and most other similarly formatted Christmas stations) plays ad nauseam. They really know how to ruin a great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6rDA2Czz0E

Oh I know.....I was just being sarcastic about Chuck Berry's song.

And Christmas music played 24/7 before Thanksgiving, is too early, whether I listen or not. Do you listen to it? Very few do.

That is factually wrong (to put it nicely). The ratings increase dramatically the minute the Christmas music starts. This is a documented fact.

Last year, when KOST flipped to Christmas, it shot to #1 in LA in ALL DEMO GROUPS. Everyone of all ages loved it.

That's why they do it. Because it attracts lots of listeners. Just not you.

And Christmas music played 24/7 before Thanksgiving, is too early, whether I listen or not. Do you listen to it? Very few do. I can understand a Christmas song inserted once or twice an hour, but constantly, yeah. Maybe radio should play spooky themed songs in July.

Stations in PPM markets have pretty much daily data available if they get the Media Monitors add-on service. They know that from day one the audience is larger than on day -1, and that it grows and grows.

Subscribers to just the regular PPM service see the weeklies.

For example, I looked at KOST in 25-54 last year. In the 4 weeklies prior to going all Christmas, they averaged a 4.7. First week of Christmas was a 5.6, then a 7.6 and then a 10. From then on until Christmas week it was in double digits, ending with a 14.7 the week ending the 26th of December. 46% of the 12+ population cumes it in Christmas week.

So your statement that "very few people" listen to it is just terribly wrong. In fact, in the holiday season KOST adds over one million cume persons to their already impressive cume showing. Two and a half million people in 25-54 is, by the way, a cume rating of about 44. Nearly half the market in that demo cumes KOST.

Where do you get your data?

I was in Costco, CVS, Walmart and Lowes today. The front-of-store displays were all Christmas related items. It has gotten to the point that Halloween and Thanksgiving are part of the "holiday season".

I was in Costco, CVS, Walmart and Lowes today. The front-of-store displays were all Christmas related items. It has gotten to the point that Halloween and Thanksgiving are part of the "holiday season".

I should add that all of the record labels officially release their new Christmas music at the end of October. They are doing that for a reason. The want it to be available for people to buy, stream, and enjoy in November.

I should add that all of the record labels officially release their new Christmas music at the end of October. They are doing that for a reason. The want it to be available for people to buy, stream, and enjoy in November.

I noticed that Costco, which normally does not sell music, had Christmas CDs on theft prevention cards on display already; however, they were hard to spot in the glare of the 10,000 lumen flashing Christmas trees.

I noticed that Costco, which normally does not sell music, had Christmas CDs on theft prevention cards on display already; however, they were hard to spot in the glare of the 10,000 lumen flashing Christmas trees.

...and the aroma of $1.50 Hot Dogs wafting thru the air thanks to overhead Big Ass fans! Meanwhile at Home Depot, halloween decorations were pushed to the curb by artificial Xmas trees almost two weeks ago. Yes indeedy, it's the Most Wonderful Sales Time of the Year!

Where do you get your data?

The general consensus and complaints are that retailers and radio are pushing Christmas themed items and music too early. Opinions range from, jeez, let's get past Halloween first, let's enjoy Thanksgiving, then we'll worry about Christmas (one holiday at a time mentality.) It's almost like, the two holidays are being skipped all together. I realize it's the holiday season as a whole (Oct 31-Jan 1), but if that's the case, should we add Labor Day as the frontrunner to kick things off? It might get to that eventually.

When I think of October, it's falling leaves and color, pumpkin pie, anything autumn related or the Dodgers one day winning the World Series again.....not snowmen, not Santa, and not jingle bells jingling around Rudolph's neck.

Don't get me wrong, I love and enjoy Christmas and all the extravaganza that go with it.......but I believe there was a time when radio (and retailers) didn't push the envelope so soon.

This time of year , if you wanna play Christmas music, the two song per hour approach is best in my opinion. And stick with the seasonal types first, like "It's the Most Wonderful Time Of Year", instead of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" or 'Silent Night"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom