• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KOOL Tops KEZ In January Ratings

No surprise, as finally the All Ho-Ho-Ho format is officially over. Here are the top Ten, with all the gory details of 6+ listening at http://www.radio-info.com/markets/phoenix

1) KOOL

2) KEZ

3) KSLX

4) KMXP

5) KHOT, KZON

6) KFYI

7) KMLE, KZZP, KJZZ, KNAI

8 KPKX

9) KNIX

10) KUPD

WHOA! Looks like us Oldies and Classic Rockers are doing quite well. KOOL and KSLX both "legacy" music and KEZ gets some in there as well so you could say the over-50 crowd dominates the market in pure numbers right now.

Wonder how DE would call this game?

landtuna said:
WHOA! Looks like us Oldies and Classic Rockers are doing quite well. KOOL and KSLX both "legacy" music and KEZ gets some in there as well so you could say the over-50 crowd dominates the market in pure numbers right now.

Wonder how DE would call this game?

Dunno 'about DE, but DA 'n NJ point to Bang 545 and the number of times it's played on all three stations!

KOOL won the 6+ vanity number but was nowhere near the race 25-54 so who cares about 6+. Let me know when they start selling it.

KESZ #2 - a full share and a half ahead of KOOL - who was 7th

KEXX was in format for three weeks and saw increases in each week. The latter week they were only 0.4 behind KMLE 25-54.

6+ vanity figures 0.8 to 1.2 nothing to write home about for KEXX, just 0.3 ahead of KNRJ. Format wheel will probably spin at KEXX again before the year is out.

Saladressing said:
6+ vanity figures 0.8 to 1.2 nothing to write home about for KEXX, just 0.3 ahead of KNRJ. Format wheel will probably spin at KEXX again before the year is out.

Uh - three weeks in new format. Too early to judge but generally stations go down before they go up. The prior Alternative format was such a LOSER that its coming back from near nothing. Last week was almost a 2.0 in 25-54 - something Alt never saw on that stick in PPM.

"Uh - three weeks in new format. Too early to judge but generally stations go down before they go up. The prior Alternative format was such a LOSER that its coming back from near nothing. Last week was almost a 2.0 in 25-54 - something Alt never saw on that stick in PPM."

No, generally stations with a new format get higher ratings initially due to curiosity. If radioreasearcher continues to promote Pratt or KEXX on this board, then insidethenumbers is back with a new moniker

Radioresearcher said:
KEXX was in format for three weeks and saw increases in each week. The latter week they were only 0.4 behind KMLE 25-54.

You should know better than to quote weeklies.

I have a copy of a memo after a failed format launch in another city. "Ignore the down monthly and concentrate on the last two weeks when the new music really kicked in. This is going to be big!"

3 months later, the station was still stuck at 1.8 25-54 and the plug was pulled & everybody fired.

Hey Dave...errr...radioreseacher

"KEXX was in format for three weeks and saw increases in each week. The latter week they were only 0.4 behind KMLE 25-54."

The towel crew at Danny's Family is "only 0.4 behind kmle". Is that what you sold Riv on? "Look, if we play the same playlist as the peak/mix....we WON'T come anywhere near them...but we may...I stress MAY....be able to get w/in a .4 of kmle...and that would once and for all PROVE CBS WRONG FOR TERMINATING MY BOOK RELEASE VAN HIT TOUR OF LOCAL CONVENIENCE STORES"

Dave- the fire marshal called- those books in storage are a hazard.

Dave, 1982 just called....

sirlaughsalot said:
No, generally stations with a new format get higher ratings initially due to curiosity.

Does anyone know how accurate this is? Interestingly, this is something I never even thought to research or explore into before. The more I think about it, the more I begin to see reasons to back up why this could be true. Howbeit, I still don't really know for sure.

KDM 7000 said:
sirlaughsalot said:
No, generally stations with a new format get higher ratings initially due to curiosity.

Does anyone know how accurate this is? Interestingly, this is something I never even thought to research or explore into before. The more I think about it, the more I begin to see reasons to back up why this could be true. Howbeit, I still don't really know for sure.

Hard to say. When a station launches, you're in a bit of transition with the audience. The people who loved the old format are leaving. The very few who heard about the new format are trying it out. That might give you a spike in cume as people punch in and out. People don't try a radio station just because it's new. You have to give them a reason to listen.

KDM 7000 said:
sirlaughsalot said:

I would say this is generally true as long as there is enough publicity prior to the flip to make non-listeners aware of the change. Of course, it depends on what the station is flipping to. When a local smooth jazz station flipped to (insert estrogen-fueled lacto music here) I wasn't the least bit interested because the publicity clearly spelled out it was to be female-oriented.

Wow look at that! The board has been showing me as "Logged In" even when I wasn't!

Now I must say that that's more shocking to me than KOOL Topping KEZ.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom