• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KOOL 106.1 is sounding great these days.

Re: KAKC and the Tradewinds West.

I worked there in 1976 and remember Mr. Mark saying to me that we had to be sure and punch Trade Winds West everytime we mentioned it because he had an extremely favorable lease that was coming up for renewal!

For those who never had the opportunity to know or work for Mr. Mark, he was a real radio person who loved the business. He was one of the better owners that I worked for. He had a beautiful voice and did a few awesome editorials while I was at KAKC. Mr. Mark understood both the importance and the value of having his radio station plugged into the community.

I would like the thank the poster in this thread for posting the picture of the postcard, it brought back my memories of driving into Tulsa for the first time. I had worked with Mike McCarthy at a station in Michigan and Mike told me they had an opening for a news director. Impulsively, I got in my car and drove to Tulsa! I walked in and introduced myself to Mr. Mark and said, "HI, I'm your next news director". He got me a room at the Trade winds West (on trade) and I was hired 2 or 3 days later.

My stay at KAKC was short, but it was a very memorable chapter of my long radio careeer.

> > > > > Change is inevitable.
> > > > >
> > > > > How many beautiful music, standards, big band, or
> MOR
> > > > > stations do you hear today?
> > > > >
> > > > > The so-called Real Oldies format of pre-Beatles
> music
> > > has
> > > > > been a failure.
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > I listen to KOOL occasionally on the internet. It
> > reminds
> > >
> > > > me of KAKC in the 1970s, although the DJs don't talk
> as
> > > much
> > > > and they don't broadcast from the Trade Winds West...
> > >
> > >
> > > I worked at KAKC in 1973. The Tradewinds West sounded
> > > glamorous, but is was a DUMP.
> > >
> > > Not the worst facility I ever worked at but in the top
> > three
> > > I believe.
> > >
> > The Tradewinds West was an awful building, but you always
> > had such interesting stuff going on in the parking lot.
> You
> > never forgot to lock your car there!
> >
>
> And the irony is that the air personalities made it sound
> sooooo glamourous, as in "poolside at the Trade Winds West".
> What a dump. But I'm sure that Mr. Mark got a great deal
> on the rent.
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom