• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KONO 101 #1 Hit Wonders Weekend Playlist

I was listening to KONO’s one hit wonder weekend this weekend, and they were playing some pretty interesting stuff. There were some KONO 70s classics mixed in, some 80s songs that were previously on the station, and some 80s & 90s songs that have never been played before. Only 2 songs from the 00s made the cut.

Genie in a Bottle- Christina Aguilera
Kung Fu Fighting- Carl Douglas
Forget Me Nots- Patrice Rush
Everytime You Go Away- Paul Young
MmmBop- Hanson
In a Big Country- Big Country
Hot Hot Hot- Buster Poindexter
Whip It- Devo
Groove is in the Heart- Deee-Lite
Safety Dance- Men without Hats
The Hustle- Van Mccoy
I’m Too Sexy- Right Said Fred
Black Velvet- Alannah Miles
Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl)- Looking Glass
In the Summertime- Mungo Jerry
I Touch Myself- Divinyls
Heart & Soul- TPau
Barbie Girl- Aqua
Magnet and Steel- Walter Egan
Mambo Number 5- Lou Vega
What’s Up- 4 Non Blondes
Return of the Mack- Mark Morrison
Whoomp There It Is- Tag Team
Macarena- Los Del Rio
In My House- Mary Jane Girls
Relax- Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Unbelievable- EMF
Pop Music- M
Drivers Seat- Sniffn The Tears
Tubthumping- Chumbawumba
All My Life- KC and Jojo
Bust a Move- Young MC
Just a Friend- Biz Markie
Who Let the Dogs Out- Baha Men
Friday I’m in Love- The Cure
Stacy’s Mom- Fountains of Wayne
Cest La Vie- Robbie Neville
Hooked on a Feeling- Blue Suede
Lady in Red- Chris Deburgh
Life is a Highway- Tom Cochrane
All I Need- Jack Wagner
Stay (I Missed You)- Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories
Lovefool- Cardigans
She Blinded Me with Science- Thomas Dolby
I’m Gonna Be- Proclaimers
Rumors- Timex Social Club

I was listening to KONO’s one hit wonder weekend this weekend, and they were playing some pretty interesting stuff. There were some KONO 70s classics mixed in, some 80s songs that were previously on the station, and some 80s & 90s songs that have never been played before. Only 2 songs from the 00s made the cut.

Genie in a Bottle- Christina Aguilera
Kung Fu Fighting- Carl Douglas
Forget Me Nots- Patrice Rush
Everytime You Go Away- Paul Young
MmmBop- Hanson
In a Big Country- Big Country
Hot Hot Hot- Buster Poindexter
Whip It- Devo
Groove is in the Heart- Deee-Lite
Safety Dance- Men without Hats
The Hustle- Van Mccoy
I’m Too Sexy- Right Said Fred
Black Velvet- Alannah Miles
Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl)- Looking Glass
In the Summertime- Mungo Jerry
I Touch Myself- Divinyls
Heart & Soul- TPau
Barbie Girl- Aqua
Magnet and Steel- Walter Egan
Mambo Number 5- Lou Vega
What’s Up- 4 Non Blondes
Return of the Mack- Mark Morrison
Whoomp There It Is- Tag Team
Macarena- Los Del Rio
In My House- Mary Jane Girls
Relax- Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Unbelievable- EMF
Pop Music- M
Drivers Seat- Sniffn The Tears
Tubthumping- Chumbawumba
All My Life- KC and Jojo
Bust a Move- Young MC
Just a Friend- Biz Markie
Who Let the Dogs Out- Baha Men
Friday I’m in Love- The Cure
Stacy’s Mom- Fountains of Wayne
Cest La Vie- Robbie Neville
Hooked on a Feeling- Blue Suede
Lady in Red- Chris Deburgh
Life is a Highway- Tom Cochrane
All I Need- Jack Wagner
Stay (I Missed You)- Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories
Lovefool- Cardigans
She Blinded Me with Science- Thomas Dolby
I’m Gonna Be- Proclaimers
Rumors- Timex Social Club

The station sounded great.

I recall Jimmie Loves Marianne by The Looking Glass getting lots of airplay about a year after Brandy topped the charts. Wasn't a top 10 but all the AC and CHR stations in Dallas/Fort Worth were on it.

At this point, KONO can just about make any interesting move and not hurt the brand. I think it was for two days last week, their main composite signal was horrible (HD signal was fine) but the compression put out a lot of noise. I dont think office listening took a notice....

As you mentioned, just about all of that playlist flows right out of the Billboard Top 10 faucet from 1976-2000. If nobody else goes bold into Fiesta, KONO will win those rated books too with minimal effort and capture the "San Anto" flavor.

We love KONO, but Cox Radio engineering in San Antonio is certainly questionable:

1. When I moved back down here from Dallas in October 2021 KONO 860 was a distorted mess. It stayed that way for nearly a year. Sounds great now. Why don't radio stations listen to their own station? Their only product is AUDIO. Why do they cannibalize themselves on so many stations in so many markets! This has been bothering me for a long time.

2. KONO 860 is clearly rebroadcasting KTKR 760 on 960 during daylight hours. How can that be legal? Don't they have to provide filtering in their system to avoid the 100 kHz image retransmission?

3. KKYX 680 has no audible high frequencies in their signal. Must be limited to somewhere around 3 or 4 kHz. Not fun to listen to. Their 104.9 FM translator, however, is one of the cleanest sounding signals I've ever heard! Again, AUDIO is their ONLY product - why don't they fix it?

104.9 didn't have any distortion on it's audio when I heard it last. That's not what happens normally...
KAHL's translators also have clean signals, but not perfect.

I'd say KRTU waas the best audio-wise when I heard it last.

If more stations starting using this clipping remover plug-in and no clipping on their audio, that would be great. Same developer as the Stereo Tool audio processing software (which you may have heard of), and Stereo Tool includes DeClipper in it.

2. KONO 860 is clearly rebroadcasting KTKR 760 on 960 during daylight hours. How can that be legal? Don't they have to provide filtering in their system to avoid the 100 kHz image retransmission?

You mentioned this in another thread. It's explained better there than I could explain it.

I can’t comment on the legality of what's happening, but the nearest 960 is in San Angelo. If it's not interfering with KGKL, it's not causing any harm.

AM harmonics, however, are nothing new. If you live close enough to a AM's towers, you will have problems receiving much else. I once stayed at a hotel in Brentwood, TN about a mile north of the WSM tower. I could hear WSM at multiple places on the AM dial as well as when I picked up the phone in the hotel room. Growing up in Texas and Oklahoma, KOMA 1520 could be heard up-and-down the AM dial in south OKC, Moore, and parts of Norman. KVOO 1170 could as well in areas of East Tulsa.

AM harmonics, however, are nothing new.
This is a mixing product, sometimes seen when two stations have transmitters close to each other.

When I was younger I lived near an AM's tower in SA... I could hear that in strange places such as cheap microphones that didn't have radios connected.

You mentioned this in another thread. It's explained better there than I could explain it.

I can’t comment on the legality of what's happening, but the nearest 960 is in San Angelo. If it's not interfering with KGKL, it's not causing any harm.

AM harmonics, however, are nothing new. If you live close enough to a AM's towers, you will have problems receiving much else. I once stayed at a hotel in Brentwood, TN about a mile north of the WSM tower. I could hear WSM at multiple places on the AM dial as well as when I picked up the phone in the hotel room. Growing up in Texas and Oklahoma, KOMA 1520 could be heard up-and-down the AM dial in south OKC, Moore, and parts of Norman. KVOO 1170 could as well in areas of East Tulsa.
Back in the 70’s one of the Corpus Christi FM’s(KSIX-FM, now 93.9 KMXR) had its tower just outside of Robstown. Our first car which featured an FM radio was a 1977 Buick with the old Delco dial tuner. Anywhere in the city of Robstown no matter where you turned the dial, you got KSIX-FM. The only other station that could be received was KROB 99.9 who’s tower was IN Robstown

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom