• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KOLA vs K-EARTH who do you like better?

I got to say I always lean on KOLA the variety of music they play is amazing. Their signal goes all the way to Long Beach so there is some overlap with krth
The reason I don't listen to K-EARTH is because they still are not playing the songs I like. Yes they might be billing great but they should take a gamble and get rid of the 70's and play 80's 90's and 2000's eventually they will have to move forward in order to remain revelent
Kola plays everything classic rock. Country classic pop and classic alternative. So what does everyone think do you agree with me?

I got to say I always lean on KOLA the variety of music they play is amazing. Their signal goes all the way to Long Beach so there is some overlap with krth
The reason I don't listen to K-EARTH is because they still are not playing the songs I like. Yes they might be billing great but they should take a gamble and get rid of the 70's and play 80's 90's and 2000's eventually they will have to move forward in order to remain revelent
Kola plays everything classic rock. Country classic pop and classic alternative. So what does everyone think do you agree with me?
Try streaming KRUZ 103.3..

Why would a top billing station "take a gamble" when they have research that shows that their target loves what they are doing and they are billing among the top few stations in the market?

KRTH bills several times what KOLA billls, and their clients like the audience they deliver. Don't ask Chipotle to add pizza to the menu...

Why would a top billing station "take a gamble" when they have research that shows that their target loves what they are doing and they are billing among the top few stations in the market?

KRTH bills several times what KOLA billls, and their clients like the audience they deliver. Don't ask Chipotle to add pizza to the menu...
Alright David E you win again sigh

Regarding the country classic pop, KFRG had huge ratings in the Inland Empire during the 90s. Many times they were #1 12+. So maybe more listeners in the IE like songs by Shania Twain and Faith Hill than listeners in LA/OC.

The little green character and KOLA both bill in the 7's. KRTH is about three times that.

KGGI, KFRG and KOLA together take about 55% of all radio revenue in the Riverside/San Bernardino market. And, while Riverside/San Bernardino are market 26, the market is about 48th in revenue nationally.

I used to work in the IE, but now out in Whittier. We had K-earth on at work some days but I recently started streaming KOLA ( most of my coworkers never heard of it) and it seems to be more popular for office music for mainly two reasons: KOLA has a bigger playlist so we can go 8 hours or so with no repetition, and most of the staff is in their 30s and find KOLA's music more relatable.

KOLA has a great playlist that, at least to my eyes, resembles a variety hits playlist moreso than a typical classic hits station.

KRTH certainly has a very good playlist these days, but I think I prefer KOLA by a small margin.

93.1 Jack FM appears to have eliminated almost all non-rock music from its playlist to give KRTH more wiggle room.

Interesting. Every single place I’ve worked, people were focused on their jobs, not keeping track of background music playlists.
There are... and good PDs know which... songs that seem to be more noticed when they play. In other words, even if played in the same rotation as a few hundred other songs, certain tunes stand out so much that listeners sigh, "oh, not again" when they play.

Obviously, nobody would play "Ballad of the Green Berets" at all, but that is the kind of song that stands out a lot. Novelty songs like "La Macarena" are examples; programmers might even say that they are not playable even if they test or perhaps given to the morning team to play and have fun with on rare occasions.

Of course, we could have a whole thread about earworms; some I have had are just dreadful or terribly burnt out tunes, but they play and play and play!

93.1 Jack FM appears to have eliminated almost all non-rock music from its playlist to give KRTH more wiggle room.
It fascinates me that in the U.S. station owners and programmers still don't realize how loose song duplication limits on co-owned stations in the same market can and should be.

At my first internship in Mexico in 1963, I worked at a group of 5 stations. Two of them duplicated 50% of their music. But it was the songs that only one or the other played that really defined the stations. Both had superb ratings and the group had a sales slogan of "each station #1 in its style" ("Style" being the term used for "format" in Spanish back then).

Jack FM seems to play a significantly wider variety of classic alt titles than KRTH, seems to play on a couple non-rock tracks in a typical hour, and also seems to be making a concerted effort to have its audience lean male. Those are simply my perceptions, of course. Those on the ground in SoCal may agree or disagree. 🙂

I personally like the playlist composition on both stations.

There are... and good PDs know which... songs that seem to be more noticed when they play. In other words, even if played in the same rotation as a few hundred other songs, certain tunes stand out so much that listeners sigh, "oh, not again" when they play.

Obviously, nobody would play "Ballad of the Green Berets" at all, but that is the kind of song that stands out a lot. Novelty songs like "La Macarena" are examples; programmers might even say that they are not playable even if they test or perhaps given to the morning team to play and have fun with on rare occasions.

Of course, we could have a whole thread about earworms; some I have had are just dreadful or terribly burnt out tunes, but they play and play and play!
And we can reasonably surmise K-Earth has a solid programmer. 😉 So if it’s not those songs, it sounds more like projection by, let’s be honest about us here, radio nerds. Also, “repetition” isn’t defined in the post to being a day, a week, a month. And in many an office I’ve been in, you have people taking calls, in meetings, serving customers…such that if Don’t Stop Believing pops up, many aren’t going to hear it on any given spin. Some will, and they’ll miss it the next time. And then there are the AirPods crowd….

Kola plays more pop songs than K-EARTH does like Mariah Carey Britney Spears on regular rotation that's the main difference between kola and krth

Back
Top Bottom