• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KODX-LP files a silent STA

KODX-LP 96.9 filed a silent STA and went silent on 12/28. They are losing their space in a church in the University District. They are soliciting ideas for a new studio space but will continue streaming. I'm going to suggest on top of the University of Washington building (at least for the transmitter) on 45th (the old Safeco building). It's super high and I can imagine that they could easily increase their range or run considerably less power. They could also broker with the long silent (as in dead air) KDXB-LP 95.3 until they find a new spot. That would involve finding somebody who still admits to being in control of 95.3...

Well at least the U-District gained (again) a noisy and fuzzy KAYO (KYYO)...

What was their format? Was it associated with the church, or was it just a landlord?

Progressive public affairs programming- they were a Pacifica affiliate- plus a fair amount of local programming too. Clean, professional sound and presentation. I would have put some (or more) compression and limiting in the air chain to bring up the average level but they were still very listenable.

It's a shame when a well-run LPFM leaves the airwaves. I think we can all agree that many of these stations are poorly run and are destined for failure, but there are certainly cases where a LPFM provides a service to their surrounding community. Voice of Vashon is one of them. Additionally, KZAX in Bellingham provides a range of local programming that targets an underserved community. I've seen the KZAX operation, and they've certainly put in the time and effort to make it a success. On the other hand, KDXB in Seattle is a complete disaster, and it doesn't appear that it will improve.

KODX is basically run by the longtime progressive journalist Mike McCormick. He's experienced and resourceful- my money is on this station actually returning to the airwaves.

A Toast...

Here's to those who try and succeed! And, here's to those who try and fail -- no less honorable when your heart's in the right place.

LPFM has a unique vetting process that lasts long after the initial construction permit. It's part of the charm and fascination of the service.

I haven't heard KODX-LP, but I wish them well and hope to see them back on the air soon!

Just saw on their BookFace page that they have secured a new studio location at the Jack Straw Cultural Center in the U-District. They should just co-locate with KMGP-LP at McMahon hall on the UW campus. It's literally within walking distance of their current/old site on the University Temple Methodist Church on the other side of campus. If you check the coverage maps at fccdata. org they are almost identical.

If it was that well run, it wouldn't have to leave.
At least they took the time to file an STA. They've done more so far than 90% of LPFM operators would do. It's hard to fault them for losing their operations facility in a city like Seattle where the cost of square footage (residential or commercial) is through the roof.

LPFM has their own unique challenges that can come up at a moments notice. We don't know their story.
I wouldn't go so far as saying LPFM's have any sort of unique challenges. Most of the operator's who have little to no experience with running a radio station, let alone starting one from scratch, are under-funded, under staffed, coverage that doesn't reach a large enough population, plus under-researched but with sky high expectations. It's that combination that doom their venture from the start.
Unlike your experience Ralph, many of the failed examples aren't funded by the local school district.

From my experience in communicating with LPFMers, there is a belief their concept of what I term 'anti-radio' will change radio as we know it and become hugely popular. I tell them to change radio, you have to change the listener first.

Some believe the more niche they can be the better. A format .1% likes doesn't work on a full power scale so how can it work with an audience universe of 1% of the full power?

Many of the Christian operators see the LPFM as an evangelizing tool but fail to consider most evangelizing events the host are secular in content versus sitting in the pew content. They wonder why it doesn't work.

Among all of those, there are some shining examples of creative, successful LPFM stations that actually can operate on a small scale. Most complain most goals are not attainable because the universe of volunteers and funding is too limited by the geographic coverage of the station.

Sadly, many LPFMs are just one unexpected emergency away from becoming history. I always suggest 'enough' to operate is not enough. You need more for when the unexpected happens because when you don't have a signal to seek the funding for the fix, you are out of business.

If KODX can secure a spot and actually pay a little rent, the station will be in a more secure position. An amazing thing happens when dollars exchange hands, even if it is a greatly reduced rate, and that is an obligation on behalf of the landlord. When you uphold your end of the deal, a landlord tends to stick with it. When space is donated, there is greater risk of a repeat of the current problem. If programming does not allow for that extra income, perhaps modifying the format a bit to embrace a larger group of listeners may be a solution. As I explained to a hardcore group, growing your numbers means providing a little gravy to go with that meat and potatoes.

Great points from both of you. Where we disagree is that you see them as failed examples. They're not.

LPFM hasn't failed. It's as successful as 100 watts at 30 meters HAAT in the hands of inexperienced people can get.

I remember approaching our school board back in 1999 about getting an FCC license for a radio station for my music students. They said, "Sure, as long as it doesn't cost us anything." No money for engineering, equipment, staff. My office became the on-air studio. Even the transmitter racks were built by a student from bits of steel from his uncle's ranch.

It was a process that ultimately took us over 14 years to complete. We received our licence in 2014.

Yes, it's still run out of my office. It's still self-funded -- including our upgrade to HD. Our engineer is still a music teacher (that's me). I still don't have a desk. :)

For every LPFM attempt across the country, there is a story unique to each of them. What an opportunity to learn, to succeed, to work together, to fall, to try again. Some won't make it . Some will.

When people ask me how to run a successful LPFM, I tell them, "Ask me how to play a saxophone." :)

I can guarantee you that locating on McMahon hall will not be cheaper than on the church. It might be possible but it will cost as whoever is in charge of that space is likely also seeking revenue and not charitable opportunities.

I think LPFM is best utilized in very unique situations where a specific population could benefit from a localized service. In my previous example using KZAX in Bellingham, they are broadcasting to a small enough community where the signal can pretty much cover most of the city, and choices for local content are not plentiful. The same holds true with Voice of Vashon, where residents of Vashon island finally have a hyperlocal outlet. I think it would be insurmountably hard to run a LPFM in Seattle, where a niche format on an extremely small signal won't attract the listeners you need to make it worth your while. This is why we will continue to see a revolving door of LPFM licenses. Ralph was absolutely right about LPFM making a good teaching tool in an educational setting. For stations like KDXB on 95.3, it might be time to throw in the towel.

I do get what you are saying Ralph Martin...even the failures are successes.

The only exception I might have is the person/board who knows better and does not listen to advice from his peers. I have seen a few of those.

There was the fellow who insisted on playing every track on each CD in his classic rock format because people that listened to the music when it was released purchased albums. He thought selling underwriting meant a posting on his website and when he didn't get emails to buy lashed out at how unsupportive his town businesses were on his website. Luckily he had virtually zero listeners and never promoted his website on the air so listeners, mostly, never knew of an online presence.

Then in a small farming community where there's a polka dance at least once a week, this operator plays Ozzy, Metalica, and other 'heavy rock' with no local information (weather, community announcements, etc.). I suspect he could count his listeners on one hand. His board (his friends that won't say no) have suggested a more 'at work' friendly format but the operator claims the music is fine because he's all about serving the local area (remember he has done zero local). Result: a LPFM that is a personal jukebox for the operator until the time comes he can't pay the bills. He told me he was having a tough time meeting business owners and thought they were avoiding him. A few questions in, I learned he was not going out to businesses until after 5pm (because his two work at home jobs didn't end until 5). I told him the first problem is he's try to get business outside normal business hours after the decisionmaker left for the day. I suggested he might talk to his employers to see if some of his hours can move to evenings. Then I suggested classic rock centering on those songs that crossed over to top 40 and the inclusion of the weather forecast and community events announced (gleaned from the local newspaper) but I was told recording community announcements and the weather forecast was way too much trouble. PS - this operator has 30 years in the radio business including major market!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom