• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KNOB 97.9

Hey Guys:

I can't find this info anywhere in my research.

Would anybody know the exact date when KNOB went from Beautiful Music to AC?

Thanks

T.J

t.j. said:
Hey Guys:

I can't find this info anywhere in my research.

Would anybody know the exact date when KNOB went from Beautiful Music to AC?

Thanks

T.J

Nope. Best I can give you is that it was 1980 or later...they flipped to Spanish in '88.

The Los Angeles Times had an article about KNOB in the November 7, 1982 issue. It mentioned that a year ago the station was playing beautiful music, but changed to the syndicated Entertainers format featuring artists like Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett and Perry Como mixed with Kenny Rogers and Crystal Gayle.

Format change must have been sometime around November of 1981.

The Times says in 1988 that the station went to a Spanish language format on March 3 of that year.

briancraig said:
The Los Angeles Times had an article about KNOB in the November 7, 1982 issue. It mentioned that a year ago the station was playing beautiful music, but changed to the syndicated Entertainers format featuring artists like Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett and Perry Como mixed with Kenny Rogers and Crystal Gayle.

Format change must have been sometime around November of 1981.

The Times says in 1988 that the station went to a Spanish language format on March 3 of that year.

I'm thinking there may have been one more format evolution. It would be a stretch to call The Entertainers adult contemporary. It really was a standards format.

Billboard did an in depth profile of the L.A. market in the August 21, 1982 issue and The Los Angeles Times did a review of morning drive on every L.A. radio station on July 1, 1984 and reviewed afternoon drive on April 6, 1986.

Billboard says KNOB runs "The Entertainers, an MOR format syndicated by Radio Arts which it augments with locally produced specials featuring artists like Johnny Mathis and Dionne Warwick."

In the 1984 article the Times says KNOB plays "current middle of the road hits from artists like Barry Manilow, Olivia Newton-John and Kenny Rogers.

However, the 1986 article states, "A subtle change in format last September thrust this formerly generic middle-of-the-road Orange County outlet to the forefront in the programming of adult contemporary love songs. This is the hugs and kisses spot on the dial, if it ain't love, it ain't played on The Nob."

So it appears that KNOB switched from a MOR/Standards format to AC in September 1985.

Hey Guys:

I know this tread is old but I was doing research and could not find this for the life of me.

When did KNOB switch to Beautiful Music from there MOR/Pop Music format it started in October of 1966?

The Yearbooks have no format listed for KNOB from 1970 to 1979. Did notice some ratings books have Spring of 1978 as KNOB doing Beautiful Music and the Spring of 1975 as KNOB doing MOR.

Thanks

Tommy C.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom