• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KLUV

C

charles123

What's up with them playing 80's music? I heard "Forever Young" by Rod Stewart and after that was The Righteous Brothers. Yesterday I heard the Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes song from "Dirty Dancing". Are they picking up where Sunny left off or are they going to relaunch or rebrand too.

You are going to find that with many oldies stations across the country. Of course we don't have an oldies down in the Austin area, but up in the metroplex especially with the loss of 97.1 to spanish, you are going to see stations like KLUV trying to broaden their playlist a little. I think overall, people aren't as into the hardcore "moldy oldies" from the 50's and 60's like they once were.

> What's up with them playing 80's music? I heard "Forever
> Young" by Rod Stewart and after that was The Righteous
> Brothers. Yesterday I heard the Bill Medley & Jennifer
> Warnes song from "Dirty Dancing". Are they picking up where
> Sunny left off or are they going to relaunch or rebrand too.
>

> The "oldies" station in Houston (KLDE) played *Stairway To
> Freakin' Heaven* the other day.
>
It's a just a progression of things. When KLUV starting playing oldies in the late 80's,they were playing songs 20 years old. So now is the time to start incorporating some 80's and let go of the 50's to KAAM.

> > The "oldies" station in Houston (KLDE) played *Stairway To
>
> > Freakin' Heaven* the other day.
> >
> It's a just a progression of things. When KLUV starting
> playing oldies in the late 80's,they were playing songs 20
> years old. So now is the time to start incorporating some
> 80's and let go of the 50's to KAAM.
>
The best place to listen to "real oldies" is 770, 1190 and if your're in tarrant county maybe 89.1. But 89.1 needs a little help.. I've stayed away from KLUV since they dropped the Doo Wop Shop..

> > > The "oldies" station in Houston (KLDE) played *Stairway
> To
> >
> > > Freakin' Heaven* the other day.
> > >
> > It's a just a progression of things. When KLUV starting
> > playing oldies in the late 80's,they were playing songs 20
>
> > years old. So now is the time to start incorporating some
> > 80's and let go of the 50's to KAAM.
> >
> The best place to listen to "real oldies" is 770, 1190 and
> if your're in tarrant county maybe 89.1. But 89.1 needs a
> little help.. I've stayed away from KLUV since they dropped
> the Doo Wop Shop..
>
Sirius has a great Doo-Wop show on Sunday nights.

> The best place to listen to "real oldies" is 770, 1190 and
> if your're in tarrant county maybe 89.1. But 89.1 needs a
> little help.. I've stayed away from KLUV since they dropped
> the Doo Wop Shop..

There is always KXEZ. I bet if you have an antenna with a large enough front to back ratio you could get them into Tarrant county. I can get rid of the Spanish station on 107.1 and get oldies to the East somewhere from Collin county. There are oldies on 95.7 in Waco - its an easy DX from anywhere in the Metroplex. At least the last time I checked. And I can still get the Jones network on 98.5 and 95.1.

80's

there are a select set of eighties songs that work fine on Oldies. I know the purists hate hearing that, but I'd rather bank on my Oldies station playing "Forever Young" or "You Got It" than The Ronettes or Herman's Hermits.

>

Yes, God forbid we try to make ourselves attractive to advertisers and (gulp) actually try to make some profit with these radio stations.

> It's all about 25-54, doncha know..
>

> > The best place to listen to "real oldies" is 770, 1190 and
>
> > if your're in tarrant county maybe 89.1. But 89.1 needs a
> > little help.. I've stayed away from KLUV since they
> dropped
> > the Doo Wop Shop..
>
> There is always KXEZ. I bet if you have an antenna with a
> large enough front to back ratio you could get them into
> Tarrant county. I can get rid of the Spanish station on
> 107.1 and get oldies to the East somewhere from Collin
> county. There are oldies on 95.7 in Waco - its an easy DX
> from anywhere in the Metroplex. At least the last time I
> checked. And I can still get the Jones network on 98.5 and
> 95.1.
>
KXEZ has vastily improved over the the last month. They dumped Jones and Ap and went with ABC. The positioners are a lot better,the music is far better than KLUV. The on air personalities are very ggod 24-7,and with the Exception of Jody,Debbi,Sandi Sharp and John Summers they blow the doors off the rest of KLUV's line up.It's about time Ken Jones has taken an interest in that station and so far so good.

Re: KLUV and Oldies Radio Today

>

This isn't unusual. Many oldies stations across the country have begun to add some 80s music to their playlists. It is time. Oldies stations will be phasing out of the 60s and before we know it, you'll be hearing something like "The Best of the 70s and 80s" or something like that. This is a time for oldies stations to "evolve" and change again.

Other posters below have said similar things. It is the way it is.

Re: KLUV--leave things alone

They already played "Working My Way Back to You" (Spinners, 1980) and "Kokomo" (Beach Boys, 1989) and have for years. That's been the limit of their venture into the 1980s until now. The last format tweak there was in 1998 when John Summers spun off the 50s stuff into KLUV-1190, and KLUV-FM continued on exclusively with 1963-73 songs.

I don't agree that the format should "age" as the years go on. Sure, there's a nostalgia factor for the folks who lived that period themselves, but I've seen a lot of younger people enjoying the format as well. Maybe in 20 years, the KAAM-esque "dying off" of the audience will be a factor, but not now. The problem is that, with their limited 300-song playlist, something will be deleted to make room for those non-compatible, throwaway hits of the 80s that K-Lovers won't enjoy (and that they can get over at KVIL or KDMX anytime.) I would guess that this is a "Peter Z" decision (Zolnowski, if anyone cares) that would NEVER have flown with Brinkman. And looking at the last few books and trends, why mess with success? I just can't think of anything pertinent from the 1980s that's worth messing up the momentum over. I'd also guess that there's some cookie-cutter oldies format that CBS uses in other markets, and they want to remold KLUV into something that can be programmed from New York instead with all the others. It's ALL about the bottom line, especially now. (Ask Chuck.)

>

I would still suggest that there is a certain parameter of Oldies one can play on any Oldies station. That number is probably between 500 and 700 MAX. At least half or more of those rotated much slower than the top 200 tested Oldies. Once that is established, which should take no longer than one day in front of Selector, the decision is what goes around them. If you are in a market with no other Oldies presence (DFW) or direct competition (DFW), you might be able to get away with just being a jukebox. If you have competition or want to take the station beyond that point, you add high profile personalities and high profile promotions. Both are expensive propositions, but done right can elevate an Oldies station being Jukebox status. 25-54 is really about the last demo that can still be affected by personalities and promotions. Look what personality has done for the KLUV morning show. It was forever an "also-ran" until Chapman came onboard and now Jody. There is a reason to listen beyond music now. Music might get them there, but everything else will KEEP them. Read that last sentence again, very S L O W L Y.

Actually the Spinners song is from 1979, although it didn’t crack the Top 40 until 1980.

R

> They already played "Working My Way Back to You" (Spinners,
> 1980) and "Kokomo" (Beach Boys, 1989) and have for years.
> That's been the limit of their venture into the 1980s until
> now.

HA!! I had a feeling someone would step up on that one.

It entered the pop Top 40 on 1/26/80, but I can recall K-104 playing it months before that. Surely it topped the R&B charts first, and indeed that would have been in 1979. I'd bet that KVIL, KNUS and others picked it up soon after K-104, since disco/R&B was still pretty hot at that point.

Any talk about "re-aging" the format over at KEOM yet? I'd go for a 1975-85 span myself, but that seems to alienate a lot of people anytime I've ever mentioned it.

Thanks for the clarification!

> Actually the Spinners song is from 1979, although it didn’t
> crack the Top 40 until 1980.
>
> R
>
> > They already played "Working My Way Back to You"
> (Spinners,
> > 1980) and "Kokomo" (Beach Boys, 1989) and have for years.
>
> > That's been the limit of their venture into the 1980s
> until
> > now.
>

> HA!! I had a feeling someone would step up on that one.
>
> It entered the pop Top 40 on 1/26/80, but I can recall K-104
> playing it months before that. Surely it topped the R&B
> charts first, and indeed that would have been in 1979. I'd
> bet that KVIL, KNUS and others picked it up soon after
> K-104, since disco/R&B was still pretty hot at that point.
>
> Any talk about "re-aging" the format over at KEOM yet? I'd
> go for a 1975-85 span myself, but that seems to alienate a
> lot of people anytime I've ever mentioned it.
>
> Thanks for the clarification!
"WORKING MY WAY BACK TO YOU BABE" by The Spinners was released in January 1980 as Alice said. I remember spinning that song that very spring. There are some 1969 and 1980 songs I hear ocassionally on KEOM. I wish they would shelve "Candy Man"by Sammy Davis JR.

I believe it was released sooner than that, because the song entered the Hot 100 chart on December 15th, 1979. initial pressings of the record were only issued as "Working My Way Back To You".

> "WORKING MY WAY BACK TO YOU BABE" by The Spinners was
> released in January 1980 as Alice said. I remember spinning
> that song that very spring. There are some 1969 and 1980
> songs I hear ocassionally on KEOM. I wish they would shelve
> "Candy Man"by Sammy Davis JR.

To paraphrase Hans Gruber from Die Hard, "I'll take it under advisement. Play it again!" :)

R

There has been some discussion of evolving the format, but nothing has been finalized yet. At this point, I would say the current All 70’s format will likely remain in place at least through the summer. Like Kansas says, “…nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky”.

R

> Any talk about "re-aging" the format over at KEOM yet? I'd
> go for a 1975-85 span myself, but that seems to alienate a
> lot of people anytime I've ever mentioned it.

Re: The KEOM, The Park and Other Things

Some even said, "Working My Way Back to You/Forgive Me, Girl." I think that's the "official" name of the song.

C'mon, Complex...the Candy Man indeed CAN. I understand that he somehow mixes it with love, and that makes the world taste good.

> I believe it was released sooner than that, because the song
> entered the Hot 100 chart on December 15th, 1979. initial
> pressings of the record were only issued as "Working My Way
> Back To You".
>
> > "WORKING MY WAY BACK TO YOU BABE" by The Spinners was
> > released in January 1980 as Alice said. I remember
> spinning
> > that song that very spring. There are some 1969 and 1980
> > songs I hear ocassionally on KEOM. I wish they would
> shelve
> > "Candy Man"by Sammy Davis JR.
>
> To paraphrase Hans Gruber from Die Hard, "I'll take it under
> advisement. Play it again!" :)
>
> R
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom