• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KLOS Sold - Now it's a Fact!

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Ownership-of-Bridgeport-s-WICC-changing-hands-13769500.php

Cumulus has a deal to get stations in Allentown, PA though. This is while Cumulus sells KLOS-FM to Meruelo is at play here and now an LMA has taken place for KLOS-FM.

A report about the deal on radioInsight.com says the station swaps “allow both companies to grow in their respective markets as Cumulus owns Country “Cat Country 96” WCTO Easton and AC 100.7 WLEV Allentown in the Allentown market and Connoisseur owns Classic Rock “95.9 The Fox” WFOX-FM Norwalk and AC “Star 99.9” WEZN Bridgeport in Fairfield County.”

The stations being traded to Cumulus Media are located in and around Allentown, Pennsylvania (WODE-FM, WWYY-FM, WEEX-AM, WTKZAM and translator W234AX). A local marketing agreement for the stations for each respective party will begin May 1.

The exchange is expected to close in the third quarter of 2019, pending FCC approval, the statement from Connoisseur Media said.

Last edited:
I don't think the press release would have gushed over KLOS's heritage and Meruelo's intention to continue the format if it were a total lie. KLOS doesn't get great numbers overall but I assume among adult men it does well. And that's a hard demo to get. As David points out, the LA market includes more than just LA County.

But that leads to another question. Does Cumulus continue running KABC, and WABC for that matter, all by themselves, with no FM counterpart? KABC and WABC help distribute the Westwood One Talk Network in Markets #1 and #2. Is that enough?

Does Cumulus continue running KABC, and WABC for that matter, all by themselves, with no FM counterpart? KABC and WABC help distribute the Westwood One Talk Network in Markets #1 and #2. Is that enough?

They've cut the operating costs to almost zero. KABC is now located in the company's Culver City office, where it shares space with Westwood One, NBC Radio Sports, and a bunch of sales people. They would need that office even if they sold KABC, so it's not a factor. Not a lot of buyers lined up for KABC either.

Other than perhaps moving KDAY to 95.5, what could Meruelo flip to that wouldn't chip away at Power's audience? I read into the statement, they are willing to reboot KLOS within it's current Classic/AOR Rock format.

Other than perhaps moving KDAY to 95.5, what could Meruelo flip to that wouldn't chip away at Power's audience? I read into the statement, they are willing to reboot KLOS within it's current Classic/AOR Rock format.

They can move KDAY's format onto KXOS, of course.

I am sure at some point someone will want there farsi polka music golf game etc... on 790. Wonder how much longer klos will stay in there current studios?

I hope Merulo buys KXOS 93.9 and moves KDAY 93.5 onto its neighbor full market signal over there.
I think the prescription for KLOS is to bring in current rock and make it a true AOR, as it once was, mixing current rock with classic rock. For example, the top rock song in the nation right now is Five Finger Death Punch by Blue On Black. Has KLOS ever even played that track? How can rock expect to endure on 95.5 if it remains stuck exclusively in the burnt to the crisp Van Halen, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, AC/DC limited view of the rock world. That formula truly is the highway to hell (death) for the format. I hope Merulo injects some current spirit into the AOR approach, and thus keeps it both rocking and viable.

For example, the top rock song in the nation right now is Five Finger Death Punch by Blue On Black.

Other way around: The name of the song is Blue On Black by the Las Vegas band Five Finger Death Punch.

Therein lies the problem. A lot of people don't know which is which.

Other way around: The name of the song is Blue On Black by the Las Vegas band Five Finger Death Punch.

Therein lies the problem. A lot of people don't know which is which.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8NQUbLQGio

Five Finger Death Punch by Blue On Black

Five Finger Death Punch - Blue On Black

Wow Its a country Rock combo though but as of this posting there is 1 million youtube viewers on the Five Finger Death Punch - Blue on Black video.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQjw3b3Ay5zMmEHUAxL93Rw

And 2 Million fans on Youtube. But then 1 million viewers is considered Niche on Youtube, It would mean success if the band was selling albums back in 1998-2003 but that criteria is no longer true. For a band to reach success in 2019 and into the 2020's the band needs 100 Million fans on Youtube, and get 1 billion viewers on Youtube. Maybe for OTA Radio to pay attention to Blue On Black by the Las Vegas band Five Finger Death Punch they need 1 billion viewers on Youtube or streams on App Radio and Spotify plus getting their names mentioned as being part of the Iheart Concert events because they are top names though. All I know is that we are seeing a shift on where the audience is listening their music from. I don't know how KLOS Specifically would do that though but a major shift is taking place though and if KLOS were to flip as mentioned earlier in the post it would need to focus on the current Demos of the Los Angeles Market and change format if needed.

Five Finger Death Punch by Blue On Black

Here's how the You Tube page identifies the song:

"Official music video for Blue On Black (feat. Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Brantley Gilbert & Brian May) by Five Finger Death Punch."

Kenny originally recorded "Blue On Black" years ago. The country connection is the song was written in Nashville. Brantley Gilbert is a country artist. Of course Brian May is lead guitarist of Queen. Five Finger Death Punch released this version last year.

Wikipedia says this about the song:

Heavy metal band Five Finger Death Punch covered the song on their 2018 album And Justice for None. They released the official music video for the song on April 11, 2019, honoring First Responders. This version features Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Brantley Gilbert and Brian May. Proceeds from this song are to be donated to The Gary Sinise Foundation to benefit First Responders.

@TheBigA and @RadioPatrol - the last few posts reinforce my core message that current rock needs to be supported. On-air spins drive awareness which drives online views, which drives buzz, which drives demand. If KLOS embraces its heritage as an AOR station in market #2 that is actively cultivating emerging and current rock artists, this would benefit the rock genre nationwide and directly impact favorably the YouTube views cited above. Artists like Five Finger Death Punch (1000 apologies to them for my earlier mix-up), Memphis May Fire, Nine Shrines, Seven Past Sunset, Godsmack, Shinedown, Grandson, etc. would be eternally grateful. It would also be a message by KLOS to the younger listeners that the station respects and wants them too. The adage that youth ignores radio is only partially true. The Woody Show on KYSR for example, has enviable younger demographics.

@TheBigA and @RadioPatrol - the last few posts reinforce my core message that current rock needs to be supported. On-air spins drive awareness which drives online views, which drives buzz, which drives demand.

I don't think you understand the roles here. Music is owned and controlled by artists and labels. Radio plays the music that people want to hear. These are two independent functions. For some time, record labels and artists have been taking music directly to the people. That's how they want to do it. I'm talking specifically about the rock side of the music business here. Other genres have chosen to include radio, but rock has not. So it's not radio's role to create demand unless they're included in the process. KLOS is not an active rock or currents-based rock radio station. So they have no role in this record.

I don't think you understand the roles here. Music is owned and controlled by artists and labels. Radio plays the music that people want to hear. These are two independent functions. For some time, record labels and artists have been taking music directly to the people. That's how they want to do it. I'm talking specifically about the rock side of the music business here. Other genres have chosen to include radio, but rock has not. So it's not radio's role to create demand unless they're included in the process. KLOS is not an active rock or currents-based rock radio station. So they have no role in this record.
It's not a conversation about what KLOS is defined as now, as that formula is presumably not viable as boomers continue to age and die. It is a conversation about what can the new owners do to the station to retain it within the rock format but make it viable for the long term. KLOS was an influential station once and can be again. Other markets in 2019 have currents-based rock stations, that also mix in classic rock - WAAF Boston, KOMP Las Vegas, WRIF Detroit, WMMR Philadelphia, etc. The formula exists, and the craft of radio excellence in a city stockpiled with artistic minds can help ensure that it has a chance to succeed within range of its heritage format, before a decision might ultimately be made to throw the baby out with the bathwater, or shift it to the inferior 93.5 signals.

There are only two things that matter on KLOS right now: Breakfast with the Beatles and Jonesey's Jukebox. The latter is arguably the greatest show on the radio not only locally, but nationally. I suppose if KLOS goes down, those shows can migrate to KCSN. But there is something cool about having those shows on KLOS.

It's easy to say classic rock is dead. But...if we look at live shows, many of the really big concerts are still classic rock. Desert Trip (Oldchella.) McCartney at Dodger Stadium. Stones at Rose Bowl. There is still life in classic rock. And as for Latinos not liking rock.....they do. Morrissey has a huge fan base in East LA. Metallica as well. If KRTH can play non-ethnic mainstream 70s/80s music and get those ratings, I think KLOS can too. If they do it right.

My wish for KLOS is that they lose the dopey Valley girl imaging and go with something less tacky and Inland Empire. Some more high quality speciality shows would get me to tune in more frequently. Give Mr. Shovel or Gary Moore "choose your songs" shows like Bob Coburn had. Do more stuff like the mashup thing on Fridays. A huge chunk of the day is either unlistenable low-rent Howard Stern imitators Frosty and Brian (or whatever it's called) or generic classic rock with jocks on autopilot. Some smarter, more sophisticated programming that appeals to L.A. would be great. Maybe get some specialty shows on there that can be podcasts. Link up with local celebs and musicians that probably listen to KLOS or Jonsey, like Jack Black, Conan, Fred Armisen, Adam Sandler... For many Westsiders, it's a given that between noon and 2, your radio is on 95.5.

Hoping KLOS lasts. Truly a miracle and the last rock station standing!

Last edited:
Other markets in 2019 have currents-based rock stations, that also mix in classic rock - WAAF Boston, KOMP Las Vegas, WRIF Detroit, WMMR Philadelphia, etc.

I just took a look at the Mediabase airplay charts, and none of those stations are playing the song you reference. This song was just released last week. Only about 35 stations are playing it right now, including KXXL Minneapolis and KEGL Dallas. I don't know what chart has this song at #1, because I couldn't find one, including the streaming chart.

I just took a look at the Mediabase airplay charts, and none of those stations are playing the song you reference. This song was just released last week. Only about 35 stations are playing it right now, including KXXL Minneapolis and KEGL Dallas. I don't know what chart has this song at #1, because I couldn't find one, including the streaming chart.

You're all missing the forest for the trees. The songs and artists listed are simply to validate that artists are indeed churning out new rock as we speak, but without radio support it amounts somewhat to the proverbial tree falling in that aforementioned forest. Regarding Five Finger Death Punch, it is currently All Access' pick as the number one cool new music track in the rock chart genre.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom