• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KKSS falls while KOBQ rises

It was only a few months ago that KOBQ had fallen way behind KKSS which had always been near the top, but now they have gone from a 5.1 in March to a 3.2 tied with KDRF for 10th. KOBQ was in the low 2s and now is at 3.5 edging past Kiss! What could be going on here? Another station that has also been rising lately is Fuego 102.9 now at a 2.0! Could they be a factor? It may be in Spanish mostly but it is also a rhythmic format and the morning show is in English. It may still be too soon to see if The Hustle does anything, the numbers for 101.3 are still the same as Sunny, might need to give it a couple more months to see if this can make an impact. But looking at the Facebook page they do seem to have a lot of activity there unlike 100.9 which is slowly moving back up to The Breezes numbers (which wasn't much).

KABG seems to have bounced back into the 4s now in 4th place. Both KRST and KBQI are now tied after KRST was leading for the past year. KKOB narrowly reclaims the top spot in one of their first post-Rush listings since 94 Rock dropped almost a full point into second but still within their average numbers. KHFM goes from the 3s to the low 2s in the spring. Does warmer weather make people less into Beethoven or something? KANW-2 has gone from almost nothing to about a 1.0-0.9 which is still quite an improvement. The Vanguard stations are not looking good at all right now. Even The Oasis drops to 1.3 while 106.3 is only a point ahead of 104.7 Buenas Nuevas near the very bottom. I'm surprised 104.7 KKTH even showed up at all. Plus that station is once again off the air.

Everything is listed here: Nielsen Audio Ratings

The KKSS freefall has to be concerning for AGM. I haven't seen their ratings this low in over 20 years, back when they had a direct competitor in Wild 106. I don't see a big surprise in KOBQ spiking to a 3.5, that is right around where they should be anyway. Neither station seems to be doing much of anything differently. The watered down programming at KKSS may finally be taking a toll, similar to what has happened at KBBT/San Antonio and KQKS/Denver. You can ride on the coattails of your heritage only for so long. If you had listened to KKSS back in the 90s, you wouldn't think it would ever sound like the automated jukebox that it is today.

The Hustle is much like the old Yo 101.3, and I don't see them as a threat to 95.1. Their presentation is very "street sounding" and not as "at work" friendly. I can see low riders bumping them while cruising Central, but not at the doctor's office.

KDLW 106.3 is in trouble. I knew this was a mistake from the get-go. Their coverage is basically the same as KLVO, who has been established in the market for a long time. There has never been room for more than one Regional Mexican station in this market. "La Jefa" tried to go up against KLVO, and barely survived for a few years, and went away. KLVO itself is currently pulling a 1.7. Do something else.

The country battle I find interesting because KRST has been more been more live and local, they bring in Bev Rainey as PD and does half of the midday show on-air who had been on KBQI for many years, and yet they have blown an over 2 full point lead to that same station. Big I 107.9 does NOTHING special and is mostly syndication and voicetracking. Seems KRST is beating themselves, they should be running away with it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom