• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KKPS QUE PASA 99.5

L

luchador

Anyone have the latest cume or tsl, for KKPS since they flipped or changed there format from Tejano to Norteno?? I know there ratings dont come out till fall, but i was curious what the tsl looks like since the change was done back in Jan...

Thanks

luchador said:
Anyone have the latest cume or tsl, for KKPS since they flipped or changed there format from Tejano to Norteno?? I know there ratings dont come out till fall, but i was curious what the tsl looks like since the change was done back in Jan...

Thanks

The LRGV is rated twice a year. So there are no trends, since trends are only available in continuously measured markets. The Spring book should be out tomorrow, the 21st, but there is nothing else available.

January to March are not measured in a two book market. April-May-June is the Spring book that we'll see tomorrow.

KKPS has changed formats countless times in recent years. They've gone from Tejano, to Norteno, to straight up Regional Mexican, back to pure Tejano, and now back to (what seems to be) a 50/50 mix of Tejano and Norteno. It seems that whatever they do, their target audience will always be 2nd (and older) generation Mexican-Americans (also known as Tejanos). In other words, KKPS has been built to cater to a certain culture and not a certain genre of music.

I've noticed in the past that Tejanos tolerate different kinds of music, which explains the changes. For example, KXTN in San Antonio, which is as Tejano as you can get, has added Rocio Durcal and Vicente Fernandez to their playlists. They have also given away tickets to events that do not include Tejano artists (from the top of my head, I believe they gave away Juan Gabriel tickets earlier this year).

KKPS will continue to change as long as there are new trends in music. The only difference is that they will do it with "Tejanos" in mind.

Havn't logged on in awhile to listen, im not in that market, but a month ago they were 98% norteno/norteno lite... I think 50/50 caters to both markets the tejano market and the regional market "witch works today".. KXTN in San Antonio caters to 100% Tejano.. witch brings me to the question, why not make KXTN 50/50 like the RGV??? I think that format would work in the Dallas, Houston area...

Your thought's David?? Greenbasterd???

DavidEduardo said:
January to March are not measured in a two book market. April-May-June is the Spring book that we'll see tomorrow.

Despite the song that says "if tomorrow never comes..." it did.

The 12+ Spring 2011 trending on Ke Pasa is 6.1 to 5.9 to 6.5 to 5.0 to 5.0. ... that is Spring of '09 to Spring of 11. So, no change there. In similar formats, KGBT FM was off about 0.7, while XHRR jumped from a 6.0 to an 8.3 and KBtQ dropped from an 8.3 to a 5.0.

luchador said:
Havn't logged on in awhile to listen, im not in that market, but a month ago they were 98% norteno/norteno lite... I think 50/50 caters to both markets the tejano market and the regional market "witch works today".. KXTN in San Antonio caters to 100% Tejano.. witch brings me to the question, why not make KXTN 50/50 like the RGV??? I think that format would work in the Dallas, Houston area...

Your thought's David?? Greenbasterd???

KXTN is not broken. Why fix it? Also, any changes would probably harm their sister station KROM (which currently plays more Norteno than your typical Regional Mexican station).

Tejano/Norteno hybrid was tried in Houston. The station being sold and flipped should answer your question on whether it worked or not.

I don't have facts behind this (and I doubt any research has been done by commercial broadcasters), but it is likely that the TexMex/Norteno mixture works in the RGV because of its proximity to Mexico. Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon are the epicenter of Norteno music and culture. It is only natural that there would be some influence bleed over to the regions around it (As far south as San Luis Potosi and as far north as Texas). Also, it works vice-versa as many stations in Monterrey play plenty of Tejano music. Some stations have Tejano segments on the weekends and promote Tex-Mex artists. There has always been a demand for "Texano" music in Monterrey, but it has never been big enough (and probably will never) to have its own 24/7 station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom