• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KKLF 1700 using daytime power at night

U

Unknowable

I am listening to KKLF 1700 on at night here in san antonio with Tejano music . its fighting with KVNS . i think they forgot to shut off the daytime power

I am listening to KKLF 1700 on at night here in san antonio with Tejano music . its fighting with KVNS . i think they forgot to shut off the daytime power

1 kw at night on near-shortwave 1700 can get clear reception a thousand miles away. You likely have the combination of atmospherics and the natural sky-wave propagation of 1700 working to bring that signal in quite clearly.

1 kw at night on near-shortwave 1700 can get clear reception a thousand miles away. You likely have the combination of atmospherics and the natural sky-wave propagation of 1700 working to bring that signal in quite clearly.

KKLF's night signal has been heard as far away as Western Australia, so the signal can get out quite well. KVNS has also been heard at that distance.

Ever since KKLF moved to their new Richardson site, their and KNVS's signals have been overlapping on each other here in East Texas. A few weeks ago I caught KKLF playing a mix of 70's R&B ballads around midnight with a very strong signal. Btw it wasn't WVON 1690 out of Chicago which also has a R&B oldies show at night.

It seems radio signals are really getting out there. I got a call from a guy listening in Cotulla driving 35 in his truck a few minutes before sunset. Our station in Houston, a directional daytimer, shoots out signal pretty much to the east southeast, not west southwest. Maybe the front that blew through had something to do with it.

I've heard KYND in San Antonio before. Not very often, but sometimes night activity comes before it shuts off.

An ocean or a big lake works like a magnifying glass for an AM signal. KKLF's new tower isn't too far away from Lavon Lake.

And I have no idea why I can pick up KYND 1520 in Kilgore either. And KGOW 1560's daytime pattern becomes a northeast beaming monster in the late afternoons here.

An ocean or a big lake works like a magnifying glass for an AM signal. KKLF's new tower isn't too far away from Lavon Lake.

While the attenuation of AM signals over salt water is much lower than over any kind of land, that is due to the dissolved minerals in the water that make it much more conductive.

Fresh water has the conductivity of dry, sandy land... 0.001.

The great plains, known for the best ground conductivity in North America, has a conductivity of 0.10

Salt water has a conductivity of 5.0.

Salt water is great; fresh water is terrible.

KKLF's new tower isn't too far away from Lavon Lake.
Ever since KKLF moved to their new Richardson site
FWIW KKLF has not changed sites, they have always had separate day and night sites. They currently use the nighttime site 24/7 at reduced power. The actual location of the nighttime site is not too far from the Northwest Point of lake Lavon near Fairview and Lowry Crossing. KKLF is the old KDSX 950 Denison, TX.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom