• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KJZZ turns 70

Too soon to ask when they will drop those call letters? I still don't know anybody who calls 91.5 anything other than "NPR" - and probably because local programming was only recently (in the past few years) added to their schedule. Why can't Phoenix get a Pacifica station?

Too soon to ask when they will drop those call letters? I still don't know anybody who calls 91.5 anything other than "NPR" - and probably because local programming was only recently (in the past few years) added to their schedule.
Call letters are becoming irrelevant, other than in the FCC database. Only a few local stations use call letters in their branding (KSLX, KTAR-FM, and the sports stations not on 98.7 come to mind immediately).
Why can't Phoenix get a Pacifica station?
Who would listen? This is not San Francisco. Phoenix is not a radical-left market. Even the liberals carry guns.

Too soon to ask when they will drop those call letters? I still don't know anybody who calls 91.5 anything other than "NPR" - and probably because local programming was only recently (in the past few years) added to their schedule. Why can't Phoenix get a Pacifica station?
Even if there was interest in Pacifica expanding to Phoenix, the foundation's constant infighting and control battles means they'll never get out of their own way.

Why can't Phoenix get a Pacifica station?
So that, like the station in LA which is the highest power FM in the market, just a few hundred average persons will be listening at any given time? (Throughout the day, in a market of 13.7 million, they have, depending on the survey, 400 to 800 persons listening)

So that, like in all the markets, they don't raise enough money to cover their expenses?

Too soon to ask when they will drop those call letters? I still don't know anybody who calls 91.5 anything other than "NPR" - and probably because local programming was only recently (in the past few years) added to their schedule.
Been more than a few years. While they still play jazz at night, the station is known better for NPR and local news. And with absolutely no research to prove it, Los Buckeye Boyz suspect most listeners refer to the station as KJZZ, not K-Jazz.

Reactions: KP
They need to change their call letters. Another station could be dedicated to jazz 24/7, be active in the valley, and do a much better job. As it is right now, 91.5 pays lip service to the jazz community here.

A milestone, indeed!

KJZZ plays jazz 24 hours a day on HD2. I like their local show in the evenings, but the daytime stream is also good.

if I were king of the world, KJZZ wouldn’t just repeat the NPR talk shows a couple times a day, they’d break it up with jazz on analog & HD1. However, I recognize that I have no idea and no research about whether that would work for them, business-wise. I just know what I like to hear.
(-:

They need to change their call letters. Another station could be dedicated to jazz 24/7, be active in the valley, and do a much better job. As it is right now, 91.5 pays lip service to the jazz community here.

Agree 100% How is KJZZ not ostensibly 'cyber-squatting' those call letters? Unlike KTAR, KFYI, KNIX, and KSLX - which have a legit "heritage" to claim for their programming- 91.5 is virtually all outsourced content most of their broadcast day. And, no, that's not an entirely ignorant statement, either. Why can't 91.5 get new call letters?

They can get new call letters, but no one is going to force them to do so.

They don't need to change their call letters, and they broadcast jazz 24/7. HD radios are your friend.

Agree 100% How is KJZZ not ostensibly 'cyber-squatting' those call letters? Unlike KTAR, KFYI, KNIX, and KSLX - which have a legit "heritage" to claim for their programming- 91.5 is virtually all outsourced content most of their broadcast day. And, no, that's not an entirely ignorant statement, either. Why can't 91.5 get new call letters?
Really? Consider this: a 60 minute LIVE show (The Show) from 9A-10A M-F, local news several times and hour, dedicated reporters working their butts off to cover this State and Mexico. Outsourced is inaccurate. If the call letter suck, then why did a TV station in SLC pick them up? For a sports team..whacky.

Really? Consider this: a 60 minute LIVE show (The Show) from 9A-10A M-F, local news several times and hour, dedicated reporters working their butts off to cover this State and Mexico. Outsourced is inaccurate. If the call letter suck, then why did a TV station in SLC pick them up? For a sports team..whacky.

To be fair, said sports team drove the purchase of the entire station. The Utah Jazz were about to lose their TV partner (the Fox station in Salt Lake, which was increasingly having its hands full with Fox's growing lineup), and Larry H. Miller decided he'd just buy a station and move the team's games there.

Been more than a few years. While they still play jazz at night, the station is known better for NPR and local news. And with absolutely no research to prove it, Los Buckeye Boyz suspect most listeners refer to the station as KJZZ, not K-Jazz.
BTW, Dr Akbar...was it raining where you were today? ;-)

So that, like the station in LA which is the highest power FM in the market, just a few hundred average persons will be listening at any given time? (Throughout the day, in a market of 13.7 million, they have, depending on the survey, 400 to 800 persons listening)

So that, like in all the markets, they don't raise enough money to cover their expenses?
As I understand it... KPFK is just hanging on by a thread.

BTW, Dr Akbar...was it raining where you were today? ;-)
Yes, more rustsicles formed on the '76 Gremlin. A real bummer for the Nurse and me. But at least the tunafish sandwiches at the Buckeye Media Hut cafeteria contain real fish from the Gila River.

Reactions: KP
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom