• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KJIC in HD

Driving around this afternoon around 7 p.m., looks like KJIC has powered on their new transmitter -- as well as an HD signal. Analog was a little drifty here in Montrose, but a nice clean sound that stayed pretty much locked in once the HD clicked on.

Just an HD-1 signal for now, at least.

Reactions: HTX
The KJIC website has (had) a message that the station would be off the air May 5 in order for its electric provider to move power to the new transmitter, and that the new signal would be in HD.

The website also states that they hope to expand their coverage in order to reach more people, so we can only guess at what they may have in mind. The current signal is poor to nonexistent north of I-10. KSHU is in the way of expanded northern coverage on 90.5, so perhaps translators or future acquisitions? Buying KAFR 88.3 for a simulcast would be a good move.

The current signal is poor to nonexistent north of I-10. KSHU is in the way of expanded northern coverage on 90.5, so perhaps translators or future acquisitions? Buying KAFR 88.3 for a simulcast would be a good move.
Their signal usually comes in strong up north during tropos sometimes interfering with KSHU south of Huntsville. They currently have the really weak KQLC. I’m sure they’ll be looking at something like KNLY.

And now we have program data and cover art!

Attachments

• D91D41C3-4BFB-47DE-89F7-D13FCB5D18C2.jpeg
    D91D41C3-4BFB-47DE-89F7-D13FCB5D18C2.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 20
KQLC did carry KHCB's Radio Amistad programming until very recently...

But in March, LC Orrick Outreach, Inc. (longtime owners of KQLC) sold the station to Community Radio, Inc. (owners of KJIC).

I spoke with Dolly Martin at KHCB, and she is updating the Radio Amistad website.

KQLC did carry KHCB's Radio Amistad programming until very recently...

But in March, LC Orrick Outreach, Inc. (longtime owners of KQLC) sold the station to Community Radio, Inc. (owners of KJIC).

I spoke with Dolly Martin at KHCB, and she is updating the Radio Amistad website.
Thanks for the update. And buried in the KJIC website is a map of the additional coverage (scroll down): https://kjic.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/01-2021.pdf

Overall still missing a large part of Houston metro, though, and that map is rather generous. KNLY would help in Montgomery and Walker counties but KAFR would be better for reaching north Harris County (though that new Missouri City translator on 88.3 is a problem.)

No signal from KQLC at my Cy-Fair location...though I've heard it weakly at the Fairfield Outlet Mall (290 @ Grand Parkway.)

Is KNLY still playing random music from genre to very different genre?
Their Stream is able to connect but broadcasting silence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is KNLY still playing random music from genre to very different genre?
Their Stream is able to connect but broadcasting silence.
Yes they are. They do play some good songs you won’t hear on other stations in the Houston area but the genre changes so much. I don’t know how often they update their playlist but it does seem pretty small. They also a lot of times have dead air, low volume, and slowed down glitchy music that’s unlistenable.
KAFR would be better for reaching north Harris County
I don’t know how likely KAFR is willing to sell and if KJIC would spend that amount of money. Would be interesting to see how KJIC will expand to the north even though I personally won’t listen to it.

Last time I heard KNLY was like in the middle of April they where playing Christian songs in Spanish.

I don’t know how likely KAFR is willing to sell and if KJIC would spend that amount of money. Would be interesting to see how KJIC will expand to the north even though I personally won’t listen to it.
AFR has sold quite a few stations over the years, so anyone's guess as to whether KAFR could be pried away from them. KJIC's audience is in the suburbs and exurbs of Houston, not its urban core, so the 88.3 signal would be a great option for northern coverage.

The perfect complement for KJIC's 90.5 frequency would be 91.7, should Hope Media ever find a better signal for NGEN.

Last time I heard KNLY was like in the middle of April they where playing Christian songs in Spanish.
I don’t know if they have a schedule but it seems like random times they will play nothing but Christian music

Just heard a choral a cappella Christian song folllowed by something soft, like what's heard on KHCB. The Boss really is a good name for this soft Christian station, LOL.

No signal from KQLC at my Cy-Fair location...though I've heard it weakly at the Fairfield Outlet Mall (290 @ Grand Parkway.)
I was at the Fairfield Oulet Mall earlier today and can confirm KQLC is rebroadcasting KJIC. The KQLC audio was about eight or nine seconds behind KJIC.

Was surprised that I got an HD lock on KJIC’s new transmitter at that location, very good audio. No additional subchannels, though.

Now the show's over and I'm hearing what sounds like English and Spanish top 40, but it's still playing slow with crackling noises. If it sounds like this on-air they need a new engineer.

Now the show's over and I'm hearing what sounds like English and Spanish top 40, but it's still playing slow with crackling noises. If it sounds like this on-air they need a new engineer.
They have a lot of audio issues like that. It’ll randomly go back to normal

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom