• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kiss 95.1 signal issues

Kiss 95.1 and V-101.9 radio signals seem to be reduced power all weekend. Barely a trace of a poor signal in Spartanburg. Perhaps Beasley is doing some technical work, as WNKS is on the WJZY TV tower and I believe WBAV is on the Crowder's Mtn. tower with the WSOC channel 9 translator. Any updates here?

No particular inside knowledge on Beasley Charlotte.

It would be highly unusual that work would be ongoing on two separate towers at the same time. It would be even more unusual because Beasley doesn't own either tower, so any basic tower maintenance (e.g. relamping) would be scheduled at the tower owner's pleasure, not Beasley's.

Moreover, tower climbing cannot be done at night, so there would be even less reason to have reduced power for an entire weekend.

I suppose it is possible they had freak equipment failures on two stations in rapid succession, but that also seems very doubtful.

Kiss 95.1 and V-101.9 radio signals seem to be reduced power all weekend. Barely a trace of a poor signal in Spartanburg. Perhaps Beasley is doing some technical work, as WNKS is on the WJZY TV tower and I believe WBAV is on the Crowder's Mtn. tower with the WSOC channel 9 translator. Any updates here?
I'm not having any issues picking up WBAV or WPEG. Don't listen to WNKS.

WBAV is on their own tower at the top of Crowders Mountain, and WNKS is on a tower in Dallas with WPEG and WHQC.

I'm not having any issues picking up WBAV or WPEG. Don't listen to WNKS.

WBAV is on their own tower at the top of Crowders Mountain, and WNKS is on a tower in Dallas with WPEG and WHQC.
On Monday WBAV is back to normal. Locking on strong, including the HD signal. But WNKS remains almost absent, full of static and no HD signal. They must be doing technical work and remain reduced power or their back up antenna. Charlotte reception may be fine, but no signal on 95.1 for fringe reception in Spartanburg. WPEG is strong and the HD locks in. WHQC-96.1 was not affected, although they are owned by iheart rather than Beasley. But they are on the same WJZY tower as WNKS.

On Monday WBAV is back to normal. Locking on strong, including the HD signal. But WNKS remains almost absent, full of static and no HD signal. They must be doing technical work and remain reduced power or their back up antenna. Charlotte reception may be fine, but no signal on 95.1 for fringe reception in Spartanburg. WPEG is strong and the HD locks in. WHQC-96.1 was not affected, although they are owned by iheart rather than Beasley. But they are on the same WJZY tower as WNKS.
I’m in Gaston County so I don’t know about fringe areas. No issues here though.

East of Charlotte, there's two translators on 95.1 in Sanford and Laurinburg WNKS must protect. Then, there's also 100kW WRNS in Kinston ...

Full Power stations do not protect translators. It is the other way around. Full power stations can force translators off the air if they can prove interference.

Full Power stations do not protect translators. It is the other way around. Full power stations can force translators off the air if they can prove interference.
If I understand correctly, Full Power stations may be able to force translators off the air if a translator interferes within the protected contour of the full power station. But often a Full Power station can have a good signal beyond their protected contour, and that's where those translators can interfere and cause some to complain. But unfortunately in these cases the translator may be allowed.

Kiss 95.1 is back but still appears to be at reduced power. Weak signal, with some static. And no HD. But V-101.9 now appears to be back at Full Power and the HD locks on. I am speculating they have been doing some sort of technical work at the transmitters.

Perhaps they are/were using an auxiliary transmitter or reduced power, haven't heard anything official but its happened before a few times over the past few years. Both were giving a weak signal last week in Gaffney, where it's normally very strong. Listenable in the car but not indoors.

Update: 95.1 WNKS seems like they're back up to full power but still only a very weak signal from 101.9 WBAV can barely hear it in Gaffney.

This may not sound right but here in Gaffney I'm currently getting a stronger signal on 104.7 WKQC & 96.9 WKKT and even 103.3 WRTH (which all normally have a somewhat weak signal here) vs WBAV 101.9 which is hard to believe but its temporary, should be back to normal within a few days perhaps.

Last edited:
Perhaps they are/were using an auxiliary transmitter or reduced power, haven't heard anything official but its happened before a few times over the past few years. Both were giving a weak signal last week in Gaffney, where it's normally very strong. Listenable in the car but not indoors.

Update: 95.1 WNKS seems like they're back up to full power but still only a very weak signal from 101.9 WBAV can barely hear it in Gaffney.

This may not sound right but here in Gaffney I'm currently getting a stronger signal on 104.7 WKQC & 96.9 WKKT and even 103.3 WRTH (which all normally have a somewhat weak signal here) vs WBAV 101.9 which is hard to believe but its temporary, should be back to normal within a few days perhaps.
Still ongoing technical issues with both 101.9 and 95.1. Both appear to be reduced power. And no HD on 95.1.

Still ongoing technical issues with both 101.9 and 95.1. Both appear to be reduced power. And no HD on 95.1.
Sunday morning a week later and still both 95.1 and 101.9 are at reduced power. And no HD on either. A few days ago, WBAV seemed to be back and the HD locked on, but now weak again and no HD. 95.1 still a weak signal and no HD.

Sunday morning a week later and still both 95.1 and 101.9 are at reduced power. And no HD on either. A few days ago, WBAV seemed to be back and the HD locked on, but now weak again and no HD. 95.1 still a weak signal and no HD.
I am listening to 95.1 online in Las Vegas. They seem to be getting out just fine.

t123

Finally Monday evening both 95.1 and 101.9 appear back to normal and the HD restored and locks on.
Driving from Spartanburg to Greenville tonight the signals on 95.1 and 101.9 remain strong and begin to drop off past the Laurens Rd. exit on 85 as you get near the Mauldin Rd./Augusta Rd. exit. If technical upgrades were made, the signal is now stable and strong. And 95.1 can be tuned on Augusta Rd. and White Horse Rd, however it is now subject to interference from the WORD-FM translator in Easley. But glad to have the good strong signals restored.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom