• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KIRO Radio Thoughts

D

dialtwisty

710 KIRO still refers to itself as "Newsradio" when news has become
a second-tier programming element behind the mostly liberal-leaning talk shows...

In the interest of honesty, they ought to change "Newsradio" to News/Talk Radio...

If KIRO is doing less news, does the station still require the same level of news-department staffing?

Will the management brain trust conclude that all they need is a "news presence", rather than news dominance?

..and ARE people incensed that they shifted Ross and replaced him with Prell??

The hand writing IS on the wall - -

My predication is that after Spring's Part Two, they will AXE news and go full talk; It's bottom line...

Right now Entercom cannot service its debt load. Neither can Clear Channel. They bought too many stations too fast. Now that the SCOTUS has denied review of the FCC's deregs, owners are selling off...

Clear Channel is dumping their marginal stations (N. Dakota, Kentucky) and there will be more of this coming. As interest rates climb, the squeeze on the conglomerates is beginning to tell.

http://louguzzo.com/

> 710 KIRO still refers to itself as "Newsradio" when news has
> become
> a second-tier programming element behind the mostly
> liberal-leaning talk shows...
>
> In the interest of honesty, they ought to change "Newsradio"
> to News/Talk Radio...
>
> If KIRO is doing less news, does the station still require
> the same level of news-department staffing?
>
> Will the management brain trust conclude that all they need
> is a "news presence", rather than news dominance?
>
> ..and ARE people incensed that they shifted Ross and
> replaced him with Prell??
>
> The hand writing IS on the wall - -
>
> My predication is that after Spring's Part Two, they will
> AXE news and go full talk; It's bottom line...
>
> Right now Entercom cannot service its debt load. Neither can
> Clear Channel. They bought too many stations too fast. Now
> that the SCOTUS has denied review of the FCC's deregs,
> owners are selling off...
>
> Clear Channel is dumping their marginal stations (N. Dakota,
> Kentucky) and there will be more of this coming. As interest
> rates climb, the squeeze on the conglomerates is beginning
> to tell.
>
> http://louguzzo.com/
>
Oh yeah...they are just scrambling at Eastlake. maybe it will be Mike Siegel taking over from the top rated news show in the Market.

Maybe it's a testament to management at KIRO that with all the changes only 2 people lost their jobs. At least three more could have been axed and maybe up to 8 or 10 but they were reassigned or kept on.

KIRO has it problems to be sure but last I looked it's doing a whole lot better than any other station it competes with in town.

I dont know how you could see the writing on the wall..it seems like a long time since you have seen the inside walls at KIRO.

OD

>
> KIRO has it problems to be sure but last I looked it's doing
> a whole lot better than any other station it competes with
> in town.
>
But when were the ratings ever this low?

On the one point you made about the megas servicing their debt

If Clear Channel, Entercom, Infinity, et al, begin to see the bottom of their shoes from where they're standing financially, and they have to begin selling off properties, well, sounds like it could be a good thing.

Perhaps somewhere along the line, radio will become more like actual community businesses again.

Perhaps those long lines of radio folks, especially air talent, who have been driving cabs or flipping burgers can get back on air again because (just using the term in general here) mom and pop radio stations will staff their air 24/7 again?

Perhaps if the bottom falls out of megaconglomeration radio, Station A can stop sounding exactly like Station B which happens to sound exactly like Station C and we can get back to what radio USED to be. PERSONALITY DRIVEN.

Who knows?? That could be so far off the mark it's gone past ludicrous, but it also COULD happen ya know!!! LOL

*Then the alarm sounds and I wake up*

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom