• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KIRO Brand Mistake

I'm not sure there is a cross advantage that appears as it should. Several wild card questions remain: What disadvantages of tying branding to a news radio station, if the number one TV news station in the market is, say...KING? Over the years, other than historical nostalgic aspects, has the tie between KOMO TV News and KOMO 1000 News created a competitive advantage for either? Answer: No, not really. There's something to be said about audience polarization. 'I don't care for KOMO-TV News, so am not interested in getting my news from KOMO radio.' Time will tell, but some separation may actually be an advantage for both. Spots for KOMO-TV on AM 1000 may be good enough. It will take the fight to their direct competitor, KIRO Radio, rather than hiding behind TV. AM 1000 and the new owners, will have to put up it's fist's and fight the good fight, or potentially get their asses kicked

If the content is delivered by the same team or same type of format (ABC news for example) I can't imagine it not helping both entities to some degree. News viewers are program loyal, if you like the newscasters on channel 4, you'll like them on AM 1000 and vice- versa. I understand Sinclair not wanting to 'automatically include' the calls in their fire sale deal (since no one knew who was buying the frequency or what they would do with it), however, once the agreement to share content/ reporters was in place, it would only benefit them to have a radio station on air saying their name 24 hours a day. As far as hiding behind the calls, when I talk to people outside of the business about KIRO TV or Radio most of them think they have the same owner. So one could argue THEY are now the ones hiding behind the TV station.

If the content is delivered by the same team or same type of format (ABC news for example) I can't imagine it not helping both entities to some degree. News viewers are program loyal, if you like the newscasters on channel 4, you'll like them on AM 1000 and vice- versa.
That was the theory for a long time. You're absolutely right that TV news viewers are loyal, but not as it relates to crossing into radio listeners. Fisher did a lot of research, and was ultimately disappointed that the viewership didn't translate directly to radio, or vise versa. Years ago, ABC/Cap Cities found that between KGO-TV and KGO Radio. Name another TV-Radio combo, and you'll see the same. It appears in their short tenure as radio owners; Sinclair found it too. Albeit anecdotal, even though your circle of connections thought KIRO TV and Radio were related, I doubt that drives what radio station they listen to.
I understand Sinclair not wanting to 'automatically include' the calls in their fire sale deal (since no one knew who was buying the frequency or what they would do with it), however, once the agreement to share content/ reporters was in place, it would only benefit them to have a radio station on air saying their name 24 hours a day.
Remains to be seen. Hasn't worked so far. What's it been, 60 years?

I think the whole KOMO thing is a work in progress. Some of us were expecting immediate changes. I think we shall see changes more toward the end of ‘22. I learned pretty early in my career that big changes need to be studied and get ownership on board.

But KOMO will likely look completely different by the end of the year imo. New set, new graphics, new everything! And probably set off 5 & 7 to change as well. You have to stay competitive!

Last edited:
If radio advertising/promotion means so little to Sinclair, they sure were willing to take a lot of it in 'trade' for the sale.
Aka..Fire Sale. Sinclair has never wanted to be in the radio biz. Plus, two out of three radio stations are AM stations. Big discounts on AM these days.

But KOMO will likely look completely different by the end of the year imo. New set, new graphics, new everything! And probably set off 5 & 7 to change as well. You have to stay competitive!
I should have added that local Seattle stations tend to reinvent every 5-6 years. The last episode was 2015 when the big three all changed their look.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom