• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KIRO-7

Good Lord. Hey, how about creating an Augmented Reality version of Walter Cronkite back from the grave that will say: "That's the way it is..." at every newscast close? I'm sure that will be a ratings juggernaut for viewers 60+.

Hey, they are literally creating a Vegas show around a Whitney Houston hologram...so anything's possible! How about a Harry Wappler hologram doing the weather at KIRO??? :) (Of course, I am just kidding...)

A talented reporter, always had a good presence on KIRO's newscasts. Congratulations on the retirement!

Back in February, Steve Raible announced his retirement from KIRO, saying it would be official later in the spring. He wanted to start spending more time at home with his wife.

Spring is almost officially over. He has been broadcasting from home since this pandemic started. Do you suppose that since he is "at home" all the time now, his retirement is on hold for now?

Can't have a big on air retirement shindig if nobody is in the building.

Back in February, Steve Raible announced his retirement from KIRO, saying it would be official later in the spring. He wanted to start spending more time at home with his wife.

Spring is almost officially over. He has been broadcasting from home since this pandemic started. Do you suppose that since he is "at home" all the time now, his retirement is on hold for now?

Can't have a big on air retirement shindig if nobody is in the building.

I would doubt that broadcasting from home has anything to do with his retirement. If Raible intends to stay longer then that will become evident. In my career I have seen delayed retirement announcements, including my home market of Tri-Cities, where a prominent weather anchor has been "promising" to retire for half a year now, and promising another 6 months on air! Wonder if it is all just another rating gimmick. Geez.

Factors I can think of why he has not retired:
1) He wants to anchor during this important time.
2) Owners have asked him to stay due to the difficulty of hiring new anchor.

Really it probably wouldn’t be the right time to put a new anchor at the desk. Those like me who watch local news want familiarity, regardless of what station one watches.

Really it probably wouldn’t be the right time to put a new anchor at the desk. Those like me who watch local news want familiarity, regardless of what station one watches.

I understand your first point. Regarding his replacement, he mentioned that Dave Wagner, who is already in place at 7 pm with Monique, and is familiar with local viewers, would be taking over his chair.

You make some good points. Perhaps Steve was offered an incentive to stay on through the crisis, or maybe he wanted to stay on during the crisis. Funny things happen in tv news when events change. I would assume there is an increase of news watchers right now, and it would benefit both KIRO and Steve to stay aboard for now.

Linzi Sheldon seems to have disappeared from KIRO 7. Last post was from July 31st and for the past few weeks various anchors/reporters have been anchoring the weekend evening newscasts including Matthew Smith, Dave Wagner & Tracey Leong.

Wow must have been pretty bad to take a position in a lesser position in a smaller market.

It was a gamble for both employer and employee, having come from a smaller market. He not only wasn't used to dealing with union-represented staff, but the Seattle news market is a pressure cooker. ND's are hired with the expectation that news ratings and associated revenues will only grow under their watch. KIRO has been relegated to second-banana for years, and corporate management is always looking for a way to overtake the competition. In this case they tried someone from a smaller market in the effort to inject fresh ideas. Problem was, sounds like the union-status quo was much more entrenched and unwilling to work with those new ideas.

Linzi Sheldon seems to have disappeared from KIRO 7. Last post was from July 31st and for the past few weeks various anchors/reporters have been anchoring the weekend evening newscasts including Matthew Smith, Dave Wagner & Tracey Leong.

Reports are she is dealing with a death in the family.

Perhaps Kiro could have announced she was on “family leave” or something such. But apparently Kiro is going through major management changes. Still no excuse.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom