• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KHTI-FM (Hot 1039) Riverside Ups Sabrina Ruiz to Music Director

https://news.radio-online.com/articles/n37992/KHTI-FM-(Hot-1039)-Riverside-Ups-Sabrina-Ruiz-to-MD

All Pro Broadcasting elevates KHTI-FM (Hot 1039) Riverside-San Bernardino CA midday air personality Sabrina Ruiz to Music Director for the Hot AC outlet. Ruiz will retain her midday airshift from 10am-3pm weekdays.

"It is with great pleasure that I can announce that Sabrina Ruiz has accepted the position of Hot 103.9 Music Director.

In the report Ruiz will keep the midday spot at the station.

Their ratings sucks. Currently at 0.8 I'm surprised they dont change formats

The problem is not programming, it is coverage. This station is licensed to Lake Arrowhead, and puts a 65 dbu over less than a third of the market population and a 60 dbu over just over half.

The sister station, in Idywild, covers even less. 3/4 of all commercial station listening in the market is to LA stations.

The problem is not programming, it is coverage. This station is licensed to Lake Arrowhead, and puts a 65 dbu over less than a third of the market population and a 60 dbu over just over half.

The sister station, in Idywild, covers even less. 3/4 of all commercial station listening in the market is to LA stations.
That too

You don't need high ratings (or any ratings) to sell spots.. A good salesman can sell spots to anyone in any market.

They are called superstar salespeople because they

1. Know how to counter any objection
2. The know how to maintain the client
3. They know how to so a ROI from the spots.. (which is word of mouth, the customer controls).

Sadly, there a so few that can do this.. most are order takers and would starve in a smaller marker or a station with low or no ratings.

Just because you have low PPM numbers, doesn't mean crap. If you have an audience , you can sell it.

You don't need high ratings (or any ratings) to sell spots.. A good salesman can sell spots to anyone in any market.

They are called superstar salespeople because they

1. Know how to counter any objection
2. The know how to maintain the client
3. They know how to so a ROI from the spots.. (which is word of mouth, the customer controls).

Sadly, there a so few that can do this.. most are order takers and would starve in a smaller marker or a station with low or no ratings.

Just because you have low PPM numbers, doesn't mean crap. If you have an audience , you can sell it.

All of that is true, but to an extent.

Here are the problems:

75% of the commercial station listening in the Inland Empire market is to LA stations.

The metro for Nielsen is 26th in population but 48th in revenue among all radio markets.

Most agencies use LA stations to cover their needs in that market.

Many agencies, and more every year, are using automated buying with no transactional conversations or meetings. A low rated station will not be able to get on any of those buys.

Local retail business is limited as the market is a "bunch of adjacent cities" that are not really a community. Small local retail businesses pay small rates.

Much of the population works in the LA MSA, so they will be consumers in both markets.

I agree that ratings are only part of it. But that station averages only about 900 25-54 persons in its whole coverage area, so the chances of a spot hitting a potential consumer are pretty limited.

And the biggest factor is cost. To the advertiser, reaching 900 people with each spot means the rate should be just a couple of dollars a holler. To the station, that is not enough to cover expenses in what is a very expensive state and metro area.

There is a point where even a great seller can not extract blood from a stone. And, yeah, I have a lot of sales experience myself.

Last edited:
"You don't need high ratings (or any ratings) to sell spots.. A good salesman can sell spots to anyone in any market."

There is a point where even a great seller can not extract blood from a stone.

Yes I have been there!! So true, selling spots on the crappiest AM or FM stations but still getting business. Back in the day circa 1987-89 there was a KFOX 93.5 which in Orange County was challenged by the KNTF 93.5 signal from Ontario. If you are in, say, Buena Park, you can drive on Beach Blvd and the two signals fade in and out with each other. You could be at a red light and be hearing the LA signal and drive literally a few inches and the IE 93.5 would fade in. Having said this I have sold business in Buena Park on KFOX. Back in the day I have sold a business in Cerritos with spots on 1370 KWRM back when they were in English. Ya just gotta go in with confidence that your station is the greatest thing since sliced bread or iPhones.

Yes I have been there!! So true, selling spots on the crappiest AM or FM stations but still getting business. Back in the day circa 1987-89 there was a KFOX 93.5 which in Orange County was challenged by the KNTF 93.5 signal from Ontario. If you are in, say, Buena Park, you can drive on Beach Blvd and the two signals fade in and out with each other. You could be at a red light and be hearing the LA signal and drive literally a few inches and the IE 93.5 would fade in. Having said this I have sold business in Buena Park on KFOX. Back in the day I have sold a business in Cerritos with spots on 1370 KWRM back when they were in English. Ya just gotta go in with confidence that your station is the greatest thing since sliced bread or iPhones.

In that era, there was no Internet, no smartphones, no messaging and much more limited local area cable TV ad insertion.

Today, the problem is that so much retail has gone online that the medium sized retailers are gone. You have big-box chains, franchise restaurants, even chain ownership in auto service, tires and car sales. So the smaller retailer who could afford advertising is a significantly smaller universe with much of their money going to online promotion.

If you use the present day value of the dollar, radio revenue in 2006 was three times what it is today. Total revenue pre-recession was $21 billion, and today it is around $12 billion. And that $12 billion in 2006 dollars is actually more like $7 billion.

That is why most of those limited signals in metro areas have gone to religious programming, brokered sales or to language-based communities that match the coverage areas.

Of course, this sidebar discussion of the economics of radio should not take away from a hearty "congratulations!" to Sabrina!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom