• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KHHO stunting ahead of new network launch

They won't need luck, They don't care... they've never made a dime in revenue off that station... It's just a place to clear network programming.

They won't need luck, They don't care... they've never made a dime in revenue off that station... It's just a place to clear network programming.

I was referring to the network as a whole. Even networks ultimately need advertising revenue. And with the corona economy, I can't see advertising revenue being all that plentiful, unless there is some magic happening somewhere in the radio business that's not been discussed on any of the RD boards...

I was referring to the network as a whole. Even networks ultimately need advertising revenue. And with the corona economy, I can't see advertising revenue being all that plentiful, unless there is some magic happening somewhere in the radio business that's not been discussed on any of the RD boards...

So you think they haven't given this matter any thought?

Maybe, and maybe not. Do all companies think everything through? Remember New Coke? Even in radio, there have been flops. I worked for a company that had a really big one.

Maybe, and maybe not. Do all companies think everything through? Remember New Coke? Even in radio, there have been flops. I worked for a company that had a really big one.

I didn't ask if they thought it through. I asked if they gave it any thought.

You know things are bad when Jesus Christ's own show is cancelled.

I guess He'll be out walking around Tacoma today, waiting for Crista to reply as He waits out the next few months...

This isn't a revenue play, but more of a PR one. iHeart inherited a lot of low/no performing AM properties. This new network does two things:

1. Consolidate a single program model for carriage via under-performing signals nationwide, rather than trying to figure out what to put on these struggling stations on a market-by-market basis.
2. Creating targeted programming at an emerging audience. Not only is this good for corporate public relations, but there is a chance, albeit small because of AM, that people caught up in the recent news to actually seek out this programming. Problem is, iHeart needs to promote it better than they did with HD Radio. This means spending marketing dollars for TV and digital avenues to let audiences know this programming exists.

So you think they haven't given this matter any thought?

And the principal thought has to be to put a slightly woke theme on the company image. They help appearances during the current emotive environment of the nation; the heightened attention towards minorities may create new revenue.

The stations being converted are all D-O-Gs with capital letters. No downside, a good image-polishing move and even potential profit from companies that want to seem involved in a positive manner.

You know things are bad when Jesus Christ's own show is cancelled.

I guess He'll be out walking around Tacoma today, waiting for Crista to reply as He waits out the next few months...

How so? KHHO is listed as News/Talk. Are you talking about KTDD? they are listed as Positive Uplifting, it's still intact.

And the principal thought has to be to put a slightly woke theme on the company image. They help appearances during the current emotive environment of the nation; the heightened attention towards minorities may create new revenue.

The stations being converted are all D-O-Gs with capital letters. No downside, a good image-polishing move and even potential profit from companies that want to seem involved in a positive manner.

But will this garner any revenue whatsoever from the national ad agencies? They seem to ignore entire swaths of demographics that they deem too difficult or too expensive to reach. I don't hear a lot of national ads on the two local stations that cater to African American audiences (this isn't including the R&B playing LPFM, which I guess is doing OK).

But will this garner any revenue whatsoever from the national ad agencies?

You obviously didn't read the story posted at All Access:

The network will operate as a standalone business unit within the company, supported by iHEARTMEDIA resources; rather than traditional advertising, the network will be supported by "founding partner" clients including BANK OF AMERICA, CVS HEALTH, GEICO, LOWE’S, MCDONALD’S USA, SONY, 23ANDME, and VERIZON. CLEAR CHANNEL OUTDOOR AMERICAS will also serve as a national marketing partner.

You can make a business around that kind of support. That might be a good model for other companies to look at.

Sometimes it helps to think outside the traditional advertising box.

You obviously didn't read the story posted at All Access:

You can make a business around that kind of support. That might be a good model for other companies to look at.

Sometimes it helps to think outside the traditional advertising box.

I read the article but did not recall the section you quoted... fair enough.

Hopefully such funding can withstand an economic downturn, and at least keep the stations on the air. I don't personally think the African American community has been adequately served by radio since the 70's or 80's, but then a lot of African Americans listen to radio that everyone else listens to.

How so? KHHO is listed as News/Talk. Are you talking about KTDD? they are listed as Positive Uplifting, it's still intact.

He might be referring to the Jesus Christ Show, a somewhat religious, offbeat talk show based out of Sacramento. As far as I know, it doesn't get broadcast on traditional religious radio.

Hopefully such funding can withstand an economic downturn, and at least keep the stations on the air.

Those are all companies that have continued to advertise during the pandemic. I know McDonalds has a particular affinity for this format. The key thing to note is they're all national advertisers. The national ad business has been the only real bright spot in the pandemic. Especially home improvement and insurance. They didn't launch this network for laughs and grins. They had a business plan.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom