• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KGHO-LP Hit With Rent Hike

Recently, Washington State Department of Natural Resources has doubled the rent for the KGHO transmitter site on Capitol Peak. The station has started a GoFundMe campaign to help cover the cost, with a goal of $10,000.

Is this a scam? KGHO-LP is only 3 meters HAAT. They show their transmitter site in the Aberdeen area by a bus barn. Not Capital peak, did they move?

I'm not sure about KGHO, but I did see a notice where Washington State DNR is really jacking the rent, in particular, on all communications sites located on DNR property. Got a similar notice two weeks ago from U.S. National Parks Service. All communications sites on U.S. Park property would be jacked major annual use fees. The National Parks one is awaiting Congressional approval, which I'm pretty confident will be approved.
Along the same lines; I got into an argument with a senior representative from National Parks about the airspace above their parks, and that by definition, they don't regulate any airspace. The disagreement came where the Parks Service was forbidding the use of drones in the air over any parks. If the airspace is limited by an FAA-issued TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction), that's one thing, but the FAA is the only one with jurisdiction over airspace.

I know the site. John Spencer and Brian own the former original KGHO building and tower in Hoquiam, next to the bus barn. After numerous complaints from neighbors, a couple of months ago I observed that there is indeed RF from 99.9 at that site, and modulation levels as well as Pilot level are exceeding FCC limits by a substantial amount. As I recall, the Pilot was 15% or higher, and modulation peaking at 150% or so. Any other sites are NOT KGHO-LP, but FM translators of KGHO-LP.
Recently, Washington State Department of Natural Resources has doubled the rent for the KGHO transmitter site on Capitol Peak. The station has started a GoFundMe campaign to help cover the cost, with a goal of $10,000.
See my comments which follow. KGHO-LP is next to the bus barn in Hoquiam. Any other sites are FM translators.

I know the site. John Spencer and Brian own the former original KGHO building and tower in Hoquiam, next to the bus barn. After numerous complaints from neighbors, a couple of months ago I observed that there is indeed RF from 99.9 at that site, and modulation levels as well as Pilot level are exceeding FCC limits by a substantial amount. As I recall, the Pilot was 15% or higher, and modulation peaking at 150% or so. Any other sites are NOT KGHO-LP, but FM translators of KGHO-LP.

But I can't see any site for KGHO-LP or translator on Capital peak. This makes me think the fund raiser is a scam. I wouldn't donate.

Should the post be removed since the information is incorrect? Or at least the link be removed.

I'm not sure about KGHO, but I did see a notice where Washington State DNR is really jacking the rent, in particular, on all communications sites located on DNR property. Got a similar notice two weeks ago from U.S. National Parks Service. All communications sites on U.S. Park property would be jacked major annual use fees. The National Parks one is awaiting Congressional approval, which I'm pretty confident will be approved.
Along the same lines; I got into an argument with a senior representative from National Parks about the airspace above their parks, and that by definition, they don't regulate any airspace. The disagreement came where the Parks Service was forbidding the use of drones in the air over any parks. If the airspace is limited by an FAA-issued TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction), that's one thing, but the FAA is the only one with jurisdiction over airspace.

That was done by law IIRC, specifically 36 CFR § 1.5 ( I am part 107 current, 61 non current)

drones-in-national-parks.jpg

But I can't see any site for KGHO-LP or translator on Capital peak. This makes me think the fund raiser is a scam. I wouldn't donate.

Should the post be removed since the information is incorrect? Or at least the link be removed.

You didnt look too hard.

While KBRD is rebroadcast on it, an entity related to KGHO owns it:

That was done by law IIRC, specifically 36 CFR § 1.5 ( I am part 107 current, 61 non current)
That includes park areas within property boundaries, not airspace above the park.

They can limit your landing and takeoff zone, provided it's within park boundaries, but that's it.

Last edited:
That includes park areas within property boundaries, not airspace above the park.

They can limit your landing and takeoff zone, provided it's within park boundaries, but that's it.

You didnt look too hard.

While KBRD is rebroadcast on it, an entity related to KGHO owns it:
There are two entities 1)Grays Harbor LPFM, licensee of KGHO-LP, and 2)Northwest RocknRoll Preservation Society, licensee of some FM translators. Research indicates there is not necessarily a relationship between what the FCC shows as Originating Station and reality. And regardless of what FCC records show, it's all basically John Spencer and/or Brian Paul Kelly.

There are two entities 1)Grays Harbor LPFM, licensee of KGHO-LP, and 2)Northwest RocknRoll Preservation Society, licensee of some FM translators. Research indicates there is not necessarily a relationship between what the FCC shows as Originating Station and reality. And regardless of what FCC records show, it's all basically John Spencer and/or Brian Paul Kelly.

LOL What relation does the LPFM have to a quilt store in Aberdeen? The number on the LPFM application is the number at a quilt store

I hadn't looked at that. Quilt Harbor is a legitimate store in Aberdeen, owned by Ken and Susan. They may have been duped into the use of their phone number at some point as the FCC contact for the non-existing Educational Institution. I know Sue and Ken, they are really good honest people. I'm gonna ask them.

This is one of many examples of LPFM gone wrong. Hobby stations for many, Rules and Regs that don't make sense, including the ability to originate programming on a 100 watt FM, and repeat it on numerous FM translators at up to 250 watts each, in areas far outside the coverage area of the FM itself. Commercial broadcasters with staffs to pay don't get that bonus.

LOL What relation does the LPFM have to a quilt store in Aberdeen? The number on the LPFM application is the number at a quilt store
Given there is no longer any need for a local studio presence, they may be using the Quilt store as a hard address on file with the Commission.

Given there is no longer any need for a local studio presence, they may be using the Quilt store as a hard address on file with the Commission.

Their address isnt the quilt store. The phone number is, but the address is in Hoquiam.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom