• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KGB-KLSD Shuffle

Alaska is theoretical, 760 is regularly heard at least as far as BC.
Checked my audio logs.. no KOGO or KGB/KFMB heard here.

The only San Diego area sttaions i've heard are XEPRS and XEKAM 950... 1090 is/was a regular and 950 wasnt uncommon

Wait a minute, David. I'm confused. KOGO's at 10(ish)kw daytime. 760 is 5kw day and 50kw night. So the daytime 760 signal should be inferior to KOGO's, shouldn't it?
My error. The the NIGHT signal on 760 is superior.

The daytime signals are going to be very similar in the areas of San Diego County where the population lives. The difference between 600 and 760 is minimal and the difference in power is only slight.

Interestingly, the two used to be "dial partners" with "Cuff Mub" on 540 and KOGO on 600. The revised NARBA agreement in the 60's forced the US to find a new home for KFMB and they were given a different clear channel to live on. The closest was 760, as 640 was locally in use, preempting the use of 640, 650 and 660. 690 was in use in Tijuana, making 660 to 720 impossible. 710 in LA blocked 720 and 730. And Catalina blocked 730 and 750. In fact, KFMB's overlap with Catalina was apparently in excess of normal limits but since this was a treaty based move, it was overlooked. Still, the low day power on 760 is due to the use of 740 in the LA metro.

Checked my audio logs.. no KOGO or KGB/KFMB heard here.

The only San Diego area sttaions i've heard are XEPRS and XEKAM 950... 1090 is/was a regular and 950 wasnt uncommon
From Quito, Ecuador I had both KOGO 600 and KFMB 540 verified. That was prior to KFMB moving to 760.

How radio history could have been quite different...before KDAY 1580 was granted a CP for 1580, they originally applied for 750 but apparently changed their minds !!! That's mind boggling.

The reason the facility is so rare is that KFMB 760 was on 540, they moved to 760 in 1965 because the FCC reached an agreement with Mexico to free up 540 to make it a true Mexican Clear Channel freq. KBIG(now KBRT) went on the air on 740 as a daytimer way back in 1952. Their xmitter was on Catalina Is. with 10 kW aimed right at San Diego even though their intended market was Los Angeles.
The 740 from Catalina was nulled toward San Francisco, but the "power center" was right towards the San Gabriel Valley.

When KFMB moved to 760 there was mutual interference on wideband radios in North San Diego County but a exception to the rules was allowed because KFMB was licensed to "serve the San Diego Metropolitan Area" and KBIG's primary target was LA.
The overlap exception in second adjacent signals was strictly done to settle an international treaty. It was recognized that the signals had prohibited overlap but 760 was the only viable frequency for KFMB to move to.

At the time, the FCC only was concerned with "city of license" and that was Avalon on Santa Catalina Island. The FCC had no interest in what part of a station's coverage area was more important to it and had no interest in marketing issues as long as the COL was served.
As a side note when KBIG was granted a construction permit for 740 way back when, the folks at KCBS "freaked out" and protested strongly to the FCC.
And that is why there was a null to the north in the KBIG pattern.

How radio history could have been quite different...before KDAY 1580 was granted a CP for 1580, they originally applied for 750 but apparently changed their minds !!! That's mind boggling.
But 750 would have been a daytimer, while 1580 could be engineered for nights as the 1-B status of priority use by both Canada and Mexico allowed for limited US use at night, with stations in places like Ft Lauderdale, FL and Lake Charles, LA being allowed.

AM signals can have weird patterns, and they have changed over the years. I was surprised that XEKAM can be heard in Alaska, as to my knowledge it can't even be heard very well in the San Diego area at night. When I was a kid in the 1970s and early 80s living in Monterey, California, KDAY/1580 not only boomed in to our area at night, it was loud and sounded great, with minimal AM fading. When I was in Junior High there were quite a few kids I went to school with that would listen to KDAY because they liked the early rap/Hip Hop format they played, much like KSOL in San Mateo/Bay Area, but that station was on FM from about 90 miles away and could barely be heard. Today, when I go visit my folks in Monterey, 1580 can barely be heard at night. I remember hearing that KDAY was barely audible 20 miles from the transmitter in LA but had a strong signal west toward Hawaii. Since Monterey was about 350 miles northwest of LA, I suppose the west beaming signal had some power up there, but I would assume there was a northerly lobe.

AM signals can have weird patterns, and they have changed over the years. I was surprised that XEKAM can be heard in Alaska, as to my knowledge it can't even be heard very well in the San Diego area at night. When I was a kid in the 1970s and early 80s living in Monterey, California, KDAY/1580 not only boomed in to our area at night, it was loud and sounded great, with minimal AM fading. When I was in Junior High there were quite a few kids I went to school with that would listen to KDAY because they liked the early rap/Hip Hop format they played, much like KSOL in San Mateo/Bay Area, but that station was on FM from about 90 miles away and could barely be heard. Today, when I go visit my folks in Monterey, 1580 can barely be heard at night. I remember hearing that KDAY was barely audible 20 miles from the transmitter in LA but had a strong signal west toward Hawaii. Since Monterey was about 350 miles northwest of LA, I suppose the west beaming signal had some power up there, but I would assume there was a northerly lobe.

@powers

Heres the best ive heard XEKAM up here at night:

Usually when i hear it, its not as good... this was a bit of an exception

Back when KFMB was owned by Midwest TV, they filed a CP to reduce night power to 10kw. Then the station was put up for sale and the CP was dismissed. I'm scratching my fez as to why they still run 50kw at night...guess fish like sports, too. 🐳

1580s night pattern is primarily W-SW. Daytime pattern is primarily south with small lobes to the north, but extremely deep nulls to the north west and north east which is why the signal is extremely weak in the west SFV and not even audible in places like Sherman Oaks etc.
As I mentioned in an earlier thread George Carlin joked about 1580 KDAY's signal be cause he worked there for a time: "This stations' signal was about 70 miles long by about a mile wide"

Back when KFMB was owned by Midwest TV, they filed a CP to reduce night power to 10kw. Then the station was put up for sale and the CP was dismissed. I'm scratching my fez as to why they still run 50kw at night...guess fish like sports, too. 🐳
Doesn’t go out over the Pacific, Doc. They protect 760 in Honolulu, so that 50kw nighttime goes due north. Strong signal here in Sacramento and back in the day (mid-late 70s), they came in loud and clear 120 miles north of San Francisco.

I was surprised that XEKAM can be heard in Alaska, as to my knowledge it can't even be heard very well in the San Diego area at night.
I live in San Diego, and XEKAM AM-950 actually has a great signal here. Terrific in the day, only a tad weaker at night. Best San Diego signal of all the Tijuana AM's. Just behind it in daytime signal-strength: AM 690.

Did KDAY apply for 750 before KBIG (later KBRT) was licensed to 740? Because if 740 was already on the air, another station at 750 in the same market makes zero sense...

Blue is fish. Green is people. Am I missing something?
I thought the Green areas were Republican and the Beige / Brown areas were Democrat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom