• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFRC – CLASSIC HITS NOW ON 106.9 FM - press release

Osh in fact does voicetrack XM...it sounded like crap at first, but Osh took the time to reach out to the guy who marries the voice files to the rest of the programming at XM in Washington, D.C. and between them, they've got it sounding pretty good now.

If the jock whose voice is being tracked is also the board op on duty (as mentioned above), then there's great incentive for him/her to make it sound as good as the equipment will allow.

And, no, it's not a new technology. We tried it in 1978 at KOLO in Reno...the idea being to give the station a consistent 7-day sound. What killed it for us was that we couldn't hear the music in our headphones while tracking, so our rhythms and pacing were off. Now, with digital files, jocks can hear the intros they're recording the talk-up to.

As for the new KFRC at 106.9, I listened to about an hour of the streaming today. The music and jingles are mostly from the Michael Spears and Les Garland eras (1973-1980). Someone who was 16 in 1980 is 43 now. A 16 year old in 1973 would be 50. Arguably more salable demos than 60s based oldies.

It doesn't hurt that those years were when KFRC was at its peak. Not to dismiss pre-Michael Spears KFRC (1966-1972), but KFRC was racking up #1 rankings in Arbitron and Station of the Year wins from Billboard Magazine left and right after Spears arrived. Those who were there and remember KFRC might like this, depending on how it's done. And those who are from somewhere else and don't, if it's done well, should only hear a good radio station playing music they like.

Should CBS do the right thing and add live jocks, the beauty of this era of KFRC is that the talent available is good enough not to have to rely on nostalgia. They'd carry it on how good they are today.

---Michael Hagerty

Why wait and delay the inevitable Get the contracts out and get JMF signed up now!This guy is KFRC, get him before the Wolf gets him!!! Come on you suits at CBS let move it!! Kenny in Concord

Bring back Paula Kelly! And when do the listener calls drop-ins begin? And where are the "We Do It For You" jingles? And the Paul Freeze liners? Maybe they could coax Gen Nelson out of retirement via voice tracking? Now that would be something as Paul McCartney once sang! Where is Dean Goss?

KFRC

Lkeller said:
There's no reason they can't use the famous "brand" as a hook to bring in the 50 and over crowd, while using the music to attract listeners in their 30s and 40s. If you'll forgive an analogy, it's kind of like Buick, which has brought back "port-holes" on the front fenders of their cars and those retro-50s looking retro-grilles, while trying to attract younger buyers with more modern styling.

They may "hook" 'em for a second with the KFRC brand but they won't keep them for long if the product isn't what they expect.

I'm also not exactly sure I'd use Buicks as an example of brilliant marketing and positioning, either.

:)

People KFRC just got started eventually they will add personalities

And remember the CBS mandate: get the greatest result possible for the least amount of expense you can. The Radio Division is the ugly step-child of the company, and budgets have been cut all over the place. Don't be surprised if the entire KFRC resurrection effort gets low-balled by the corporate bean-counters.

"I'm also not exactly sure I'd use Buicks as an example of brilliant marketing and positioning, either."

I don't know why you say that. Buick has just become the number 1 car maker in the world, with great products like the Prius and the Camry. Oh...right...that's Toyota...

thanks

jvparent said:
And remember the CBS mandate: get the greatest result possible for the least amount of expense you can. The Radio Division is the ugly step-child of the company, and budgets have been cut all over the place. Don't be surprised if the entire KFRC resurrection effort gets low-balled by the corporate bean-counters.

For another brilliant piece of perspective from radio's Sour Grapes Corp

::)

I know it's just the luck of the draw, but every time I tune in, "the Magical Mystery Tour" is either on "B" or "S/T." It's kind of like remembering to tune in a TV show you like only twice a year, and you pick the same episode both times.

Does anybody have a perception of how large the play list is?

"Could be like the Wolf...10,000 songs ( but not commercial free )"

I wasn't asking how many songs are they're going to play before bringing in DJs...knowing CBS, that will probably be about 100,000. Though I'm not up on Country music, I'm reasonably sure The Wolf didn't play 10,000 different songs, but repeated their playlist a number of times like KFRC is doing now.

What I was curious about - since I keep tuning in 106.9 when they are on the same 2 letters of the alphabet - was how big their playlist seems. 300 songs like the old K-Earth? 1,000 or more? Somebody who has been listening more consistently might have an idea. The depth of the playlist, and how much repetition there is will make a HUGE difference in how listenable the station is.

A good example is Kiss-FM. I think the station has good formatics and good DJs, but I can no longer listen. Though they've altered their playlist a little bit from time to time, they've been playing the same core 200 or 300 "old school" songs for a decade now, and it's excruciatingly boring. I used to like Al Green and Marvin Gaye, but I never want to hear "Let's Stay Together" or "Heard it Through the Grapevine" again as long as I live.

As last weekend, they were early in the alpha, and Monday morning, they were back in the C's, I'm betting it's no 1000 song playlist.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom